Home

Next-Gen EA golf game

This is a discussion on Next-Gen EA golf game within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2020, 12:47 AM   #33
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Next-Gen EA golf game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
EA makes a baseball game before they make a golf game and that ain't happening either. No money in it.
Sony is bringing MLB The Show to Xbox. No way in h*** EA makes a baseball game ever. That to me has nothing to do with if EA is making another golf game or not.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #34
MVP

lowpaiddonkey10's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
Sony is bringing MLB The Show to Xbox. No way in h*** EA makes a baseball game ever. That to me has nothing to do with if EA is making another golf game or not.

Point was they gave up on Rory in a minute what makes you think they will put their resources in a game they already gave up on? Golf is a small market not worth their time. But if they do decide otherwise I would support it.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:04 PM   #35
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpaiddonkey10
Point was they gave up on Rory in a minute what makes you think they will put their resources in a game they already gave up on? Golf is a small market not worth their time. But if they do decide otherwise I would support it.
EA's plan around RMPGAT was a curious one...they made the fatal mistake of releasing the game with just 8 real-life courses (9, if you pre-ordered), none of which were EA golf staples like Augusta or Pebble Beach (I guess St. Andrews was an EA staple at that point, so 1 outta 3?).

Tiger Woods 14 had 20 courses on-disc for the standard version. This first impression basically killed RMPGAT before it even got off the ground.

But the thing is, EA did continue to support RMPGAT until May 2016, 10 months after release, increasing the total real-life courses to 14, adding several pro golfers to the mix, and even incorporating rotating majors into career mode. Still not great, but since all DLC content was free, it was hard to complain.

But by that point, the game was selling for $15 or so...it was too little, too late.

My point in all this is that EA royally shot themselves in the foot by releasing RMPGAT with such little content at the get-go. The game was also without Augusta, Pebble Beach, and even Tiger Woods...things gamers had come to expect from an EA golf game for years.

Perhaps EA learned from their mistakes and could produce a golf game once again that would be feature- and content-rich like the old Tiger Woods games. And maybe they could even re-introduce Augusta, Pebble Beach, and maybe even Big Cat back into the fold...who knows?

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 06-23-2020 at 02:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #36
MVP

Great post above…

I would also add that I have no idea how scalable frostbite is…

Is it possible that they have continued to slowly work on content over time (or restarted recently) very quietly and can scale up the engine to handle capabilities of next gen hardware?

Maybe they simply shelved it and decided to readdress it later when there was another console generation… Which we are about to get.... I think we all were mystified that they stopped with Rory after already doing so much of the hard work already.

In any case it’s hard to believe, as I said above, that a VB reporter would be making this up without hearing something from somebody
Old 06-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #37
MVP

I would hope that most fans of the 2K/HB game are fans of this as well right?

Everybody interested in this niche, no matter where your preferences lie, should always be excited about more money being put into the golf game genre.

Competition absolutely helps everybody.

This is why even though I play Perfect Golf and have no interest in what HB continues to offer I am glad that they continue to do it
Old 06-23-2020, 02:19 PM   #38
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
I would also add that I have no idea how scalable frostbite is…
Yep, great point there. And this is also likely why PGA 2K21 and HB Studios are sticking with the Unity engine and still trying to release a game on current-gen, even in the shadow of next-gen console releases. The work to update and implement a game in a new engine, after using a familiar platform for years and years has to be daunting (I have no game design experience, but I would just assume this to be the case!).

That doesn't excuse EA or 2K from releasing games at the $60 price point that is lacking in content or innovation. EA released RMPGAT at $60 with just 8/9 courses available. That's a recipe for disaster.

2K will be releasing a current-gen golf title for $60 on a years-old engine a couple months before new consoles come out...an interesting choice, to be sure.
Old 06-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #39
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
That doesn't excuse EA or 2K from releasing games at the $60 price point that is lacking in content or innovation. EA released RMPGAT at $60 with just 8/9 courses available. That's a recipe for disaster.
I agree that only eight or nine courses is a disaster… But if they get it up close to 20-ish I think they are golden…

When I look at the rotation of courses I actually play in PG they are only 20 or 25 of them anyways.

And if their focus is on the actual Tour and they include, or make available with DLC, a huge majority of the real courses, it will satisfy the vast majority.

That said I am absolutely a quality over quantity guy...

I fully recognize that TGC and PG have many in their user bases that just seem to want constant new courses irrespective of the actual quality of the product.

I love to get good at courses and really learn the in the ins and outs of them and adjusting to conditions and not just play random new ones all the time
Old 06-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #40
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

I think PGA 2K21 is releasing with 15 officially licensed real-life courses. That's pretty good, especially considering the series is known for its user course creation tool.

But, with all those other factors I mentioned above, my feeling is that it should still be a $40 or $50 game. I know the math/economics probably don't allow that to be the case, but I just can't imagine myself (a pretty active sports gamer) buying a current-gen golf game with some (relatively small, IMO) tweaks and adjustments for the same price as AAA titles that provide a lot more in the way of innovation and content. I mean, PGA 2K21 won't let you play with the included pros in-game!

If EA dips its toes back into golf, it needs to realize the mistakes they made in the past, and any mistakes that might plague the upcoming golf game's release. And in all honesty, I really want 2K21 to succeed. I just need to see more to justify the cost.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »