Home

PGA TOUR 2K21 - 2 Million Copies Sold

This is a discussion on PGA TOUR 2K21 - 2 Million Copies Sold within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2021, 04:26 PM   #25
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: PGA TOUR 2K21 - 2 Million Copies Sold

So is this a game you guys would still recommend picking up, now?

I play on PC, and I have TGC 2019, I'm just not sure if the new iteration brings enough to the table to warrant the purchase.

I've actually been debating since 2K21 released last year, and with spring fast approaching, I'm getting that golf itch. So here I am debating... again.

It is currently $29.99 on Steam. I'd prefer playing online against human competition over the AI. I just worry that career mode won't hold my attention for that long and that multiplayer is either dead or mostly elite players in Societies.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gerg04; 02-26-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-26-2021, 04:49 PM   #26
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04

I play on PC, and I have TGC 2019, I'm just not sure if the new iteration brings enough to the table to warrant the purchase.

I've actually been debating since 2K21 released last year, and with spring fast approaching, I'm getting that golf itch. So here I am debating... again.

It is currently $29.99 on Steam. I'd prefer playing online against human competition over the AI. I just worry that career mode won't hold my attention for that long and that multiplayer is either dead or mostly elite players in Societies.

$30 is reasonable for this game, IMO. Online play can be a bit questionable at times, but I've been able to consistently get into public matchmaking games recently. There seem to be plenty of people playing online, so that doesn't seem to be a problem. That said, the servers have their up and down moments. And since this whole game is basically contained server-side, you will likely see issues from time to time. This also means problems with "offline" things like career mode, as you need to be online and connected to even play that.

Speaking of Career Mode, my guess is that it will not hold your attention, unless you're OK with wonky leaderboards that are not very realistic or change from round to round and event to event. I recently gave career mode another try after being away from it for months, and I played the fake Masters event. The cut line there is so messed up that no one actually got cut - the entire field played each and every round. Things like that.

Societies are fun, active, and you can pretty much find one that you'll enjoy playing in. However, as you mentioned, scores in them can get crazy low. I'd try playing TGC Tours to play with others who are at the same level as you.

But the gameplay is fine, building courses is still great (if you're into that side of the game), and there are a ton of amazing user created courses to play.

All in all, $30-40 is probably what this game is worth in my opinion, so I would recommend it at $29.99.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:03 PM   #27
MVP

Gerg04's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
$30 is reasonable for this game, IMO. Online play can be a bit questionable at times, but I've been able to consistently get into public matchmaking games recently. There seem to be plenty of people playing online, so that doesn't seem to be a problem. That said, the servers have their up and down moments. And since this whole game is basically contained server-side, you will likely see issues from time to time. This also means problems with "offline" things like career mode, as you need to be online and connected to even play that.

Speaking of Career Mode, my guess is that it will not hold your attention, unless you're OK with wonky leaderboards that are not very realistic or change from round to round and event to event. I recently gave career mode another try after being away from it for months, and I played the fake Masters event. The cut line there is so messed up that no one actually got cut - the entire field played each and every round. Things like that.

Societies are fun, active, and you can pretty much find one that you'll enjoy playing in. However, as you mentioned, scores in them can get crazy low. I'd try playing TGC Tours to play with others who are at the same level as you.

But the gameplay is fine, building courses is still great (if you're into that side of the game), and there are a ton of amazing user created courses to play.

All in all, $30-40 is probably what this game is worth in my opinion, so I would recommend it at $29.99.
Thanks for the detailed response.

Good to hear that matchmaking is still viable, not sure if you were referring to PC or console. Player count on Steam seems to be 800-1,100 players...which seems really low, but I guess it's enough to sustain 4-player matches (are they all 2v2?).

And that's a good point with the Societies, I should browse for one before purchasing to try and find something in my skill range.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:14 PM   #28
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:

Good to hear that matchmaking is still viable, not sure if you were referring to PC or console. Player count on Steam seems to be 800-1,100 players...which seems really low, but I guess it's enough to sustain 4-player matches (are they all 2v2?).

And that's a good point with the Societies, I should browse for one before purchasing to try and find something in my skill range.

I play on PS4, so I can only speak to that side of things. I think there are online match options for 4 players that are either 1v1v1v1 or 2v2. There are also just 1v1 head to head options, too. I usually just play the quick 3-hole stroke play match online where it's everyone for themselves.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 02-26-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:32 AM   #29
MVP

jbd345's Arena

OVR: 4

Anyone think we will be getting a next gen upgrade? I see Xbox series x has that boost mode, hoping there will be 60fps on the ps5 soon
Old 02-27-2021, 12:49 PM   #30
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
Anyone think we will be getting a next gen upgrade? I see Xbox series x has that boost mode, hoping there will be 60fps on the ps5 soon
I don't think PGA TOUR 2K21 will be getting a full blown next-gen upgrade, but I now strongly suspect it will get the FPS Boost treatment via Microsoft's new feature. Being able to play this game at 60 FPS transforms it into a new game experience for me. I play it at that frame rate on my PC and the tempo dependent swing gets so much more feedback at 60 FPS versus the 30 it's now getting on the Series X. It makes the game so much more playable, IMO.

The Auto HDR that the Series X provides works wonderfully with 2K21. I can't think of a game I own that benefits more from it. I think when you couple Auto HDR with FSP Boost, you're going to have an almost next-gen version of 2K21.

HB Studios is going to be providing new DLC next month and it's rumored that HB Studios might be including an option to turn off the frame rate cap for the Series X as part of that update. I don't care whether it's Microsoft of HB Studios who takes the frame rate shackles off of this game, I just want them off. I think by April that will be the case.
Old 02-27-2021, 12:57 PM   #31
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:

I play this game on both my PC and XBox Series X. Currently, I'm playing it on the PC everabout 90% of the time because I can play it at 60 FPS. I find that it's not difficult to get a 1V1 9-hole match on the PC. It's usually 2 to 5 minutes and I'll have a match. 2V2 Alt-shot is a different story... more like 15 to 20 minutes even during peak hours, which for me are like 12 noon EST to 7 PM. I get a lot of British folks in matches in those hours.

The beauty about the 2V2 alt-shot matches on the PC version is that once you get one and everyone tees off, PC players are far more likely to stick it out and play the match until completion. The game does a good job of making the play flow smoothly as well in all forms of matchmaking, including 2V2.

Last edited by OnlookerDelay; 02-27-2021 at 02:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #32
MVP

OnlookerDelay's Arena

Quote:

It's easily worth $30 on the PC. It plays more efficiently than TGC 2019, IMO, on the PC, and it definitely looks better. I think their new swing interface is better than that of TGC 2019, although I still think it has quite a ways to go to be where it should. I know I can't play TGC 2019 any more, having playing 2K21.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »