Home

PGA TOUR 2K21 Update Available Today

This is a discussion on PGA TOUR 2K21 Update Available Today within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2021, 06:32 PM   #17
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: PGA TOUR 2K21 Update Available Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by vols
Good thing about the game is it can be made to play as easy or hard as you want with the settings. I personally like a more true sim challenge instead of a casual game play. Keeps it interesting.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
That's very true...and I like the setting customization as well. But the issue to me is that the settings don't really matter anymore, in terms of outcomes of the swing. Now, no matter if you play Pro, Master, or whatever, you're going to be duffing shots in the sand if you swing just a bit fast.

This all changed 9 months after release. The game is so different to the point you will need to relearn how to play and readjust all your settings to match your game. I don't really want to do that this late in the game's cycle.

I had difficulty all set up the way I liked it, and now everything is unbalanced and somewhat unrecognizable from the game that existed just a few weeks ago.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 05-18-2021 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:58 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

Issssh, the 'other' forum is rocking. Free lessons from a couple of golf snobs and others don't like it at all and I can't blame them. I've never seen an update having a reception like that.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:16 PM   #19
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

I love the "learn how to play the game" sentiment they all seem to have there.

I did...for NINE WHOLE MONTHS.

Now it's all upside down and inside out with the swing. Feels so inorganic and inconsistent. The penalties are way too great, except now pitch shots are way too easy-peasy. Seriously, it took a week or two and two server-side updates after nine months of playing a pretty solid game of golf to make it feel like it's now busted.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 05-26-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:29 AM   #20
Rookie

Twinkie12's Arena

Add me to the list of people who are frustrated with splash shots now being virtually unusable. I used to use them for almost every shot around the green, even over chip shots if I was more than 10 yards from the flag.

And now pitch shots are way easier, which is crazy because I used to avoid them at all costs and would even hit less of an approach shot so I was 75+ yards out and could use a full Lob wedge rather than end up 50-70 where I was forced to the pitch.

That said, I have just adjusted my game a bit and use the pitch and chip more and the splash way less. It's a bit worse IMO, and I would have rather had them just keep gameplay the same, but it's still manageable. I play on TGC Tours and have been shooting about the same after adjusting. When I play pro for fun I can still shoot super low, but I do have to concentrate more on shots around the green.

Hopefully they do one more update after all the feedback and make adjustments to the other shot types. I do like that there is more of a penalty on super fast off the tee, but I am not sure why they thought it was a good idea to have a major effect for other shot types.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:49 AM   #21
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

I've tried but I think where I settled is this game isn't fun. The swing mechanic isn't fun. The various chip/pitch/splash shots aren't fun. The entire short game experience isn't fun. I kind of think the recent changes to the meter are an attempt to put a band-aid on a broken swing system and they need to completely redo it for the next version of the game.

I do agree with Arlington's perspective that they're only trying to build a game for the sim/hardcore crowd and don't care at all about more casual players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyLomb
I've tried but I think where I settled is this game isn't fun. The swing mechanic isn't fun. The various chip/pitch/splash shots aren't fun. The entire short game experience isn't fun. I kind of think the recent changes to the meter are an attempt to put a band-aid on a broken swing system and they need to completely redo it for the next version of the game.

I do agree with Arlington's perspective that they're only trying to build a game for the sim/hardcore crowd and don't care at all about more casual players.

Just have to read the hardcore over there, golf isn't supposed to be fun. You're supposed to work hours at the driving range, pitching, chipping putting in the game, just like in real life. That's the game they want and HB is trying to deliver it. And these hardcore are going to chase the casuals just like they were doing with the TW game. Hopefully they stay at 2K and don't make the jump to EA.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:36 AM   #23
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
Just have to read the hardcore over there, golf isn't supposed to be fun. You're supposed to work hours at the driving range, pitching, chipping putting in the game, just like in real life. That's the game they want and HB is trying to deliver it. And these hardcore are going to chase the casuals just like they were doing with the TW game. Hopefully they stay at 2K and don't make the jump to EA.
Right, I sort of get that vibe from the game and the vocal player base. A few years ago, pre-2k, one of the devs responded to an ask I made about ever getting a 3-click swing and they basically said no it was never going to happen because they didn't want to make that kind of game. The honesty was appreciated but I certainly took it that they weren't interested in making a game for me.

None of this is to say I want to see players regularly shooting -20 like they do in Everybody Golf (a game which is VERY fun to play). But a golf game needs to be fun and playable without requiring players to grind practice hours just to manage the clunky/bad control system.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:10 AM   #24
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

The mentality of the hardcore fanbase of 2K21 over at those "other" forums is that you should just simply drop down difficulty levels if you can't handle the game now. But the thing that really grinds my gears is that I was playing at a certain level for 3/4 of a year, and now need to drop down because this change came out? I mean, that's not a problem with difficulty, that's an issue with the way the devs altered the way this game is played.

They even go so far as to say that, if you played on Master before and now can't play on it, you never should have been on there in the first place. They've said the same about TGC Tours players - basically if you struggle scoring over there now, you shouldn't have even been a part of the tours to begin with.

The silence of the devs, the hack job they did with altering the swing, and the pompous attitudes of the "real" 2K21 fans as one tries to simply get answers from the makers of this game makes this whole experience super frustrating and exhausting. I'm about done with all of it, save for the course creation side of it.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 05-27-2021 at 01:25 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »