Home

EA Adds Another Exclusive For EA Sports PGA TOUR

This is a discussion on EA Adds Another Exclusive For EA Sports PGA TOUR within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #81
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: EA Adds Another Exclusive For EA Sports PGA TOUR

After the fiasco of Rory, I'm keeping my expectations fairly low this time. It could well be similar in contents to TW12 but with the official 4 Majors.

Lots of work to be done just to feel like TW12. Sponsors will probably be out again and they will go with the system in TW14 and Rory for equipment and clothing. We could see Country Club being built back for the game to compete with the Societies in the 2K/HB game. I would be disappointed if we didn't get a good player creator, what they had in Rory was lame. If we're fortunate, maybe they will have time to include dynamic weather, something 2K/HB doesn't have. Hopefully the swing mechanic will be improved, specifically putting. Oh, and the ability to remove the darn swing meter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2021, 03:32 PM   #82
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
After the fiasco of Rory, I'm keeping my expectations fairly low this time. It could well be similar in contents to TW12 but with the official 4 Majors.

Lots of work to be done just to feel like TW12. Sponsors will probably be out again and they will go with the system in TW14 and Rory for equipment and clothing. We could see Country Club being built back for the game to compete with the Societies in the 2K/HB game. I would be disappointed if we didn't get a good player creator, what they had in Rory was lame. If we're fortunate, maybe they will have time to include dynamic weather, something 2K/HB doesn't have. Hopefully the swing mechanic will be improved, specifically putting. Oh, and the ability to remove the darn swing meter.

I feel like Rory 15 was basically a very early beta for this game, obviously they probably expected to put one out sooner than this but I feel they are not starting from scratch this time and at least have Rory 15s foundation to build from although it wasn’t much. With some refinement and depth it will be a great game. I really hope they fix the graphics issues like the pop ins and weird grainy look. Hard to believe it’s been 6 years.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:53 PM   #83
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltSwoosh
I feel like Rory 15 was basically a very early beta for this game, obviously they probably expected to put one out sooner than this but I feel they are not starting from scratch this time and at least have Rory 15s foundation to build from although it wasn’t much. With some refinement and depth it will be a great game. I really hope they fix the graphics issues like the pop ins and weird grainy look. Hard to believe it’s been 6 years.
Not that it matters what I want, but I'd rather they start fresh for the new game. Rory had some good aspects to it, but I did not ultimately find it to be a particularly deep or compelling golf game. I'm not at all joking when I say you could play an entire round of golf without ever looking at the screen (just move the right stick down-then-up repeatedly like a robot). Somehow, they have to deepen the playing / swinging experience, because that is essentially the only "action" in the game.

I do think they were on to something with regard to pre-shot calculations; I'd like that to return in a better/more fully fleshed-out form. I liked having to get my Greller on and think "it's 45 to the front, 50 hole, long is dead, left is dead, 6 MPH of hurt with the wind" etc. The impact of the lie was too extreme in a lot of cases IMO, and the difficulty in the game relied too heavily on a single variable: the wind (e.g. 20 MPH winds seemed like the only way to make the game harder).

I could go on forever, but I don't think it would be a bad thing to just re-think the whole way golf games are played, starting with the swing mechanism itself.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:28 PM   #84
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Not that it matters what I want, but I'd rather they start fresh for the new game. Rory had some good aspects to it, but I did not ultimately find it to be a particularly deep or compelling golf game. I'm not at all joking when I say you could play an entire round of golf without ever looking at the screen (just move the right stick down-then-up repeatedly like a robot). Somehow, they have to deepen the playing / swinging experience, because that is essentially the only "action" in the game.

I do think they were on to something with regard to pre-shot calculations; I'd like that to return in a better/more fully fleshed-out form. I liked having to get my Greller on and think "it's 45 to the front, 50 hole, long is dead, left is dead, 6 MPH of hurt with the wind" etc. The impact of the lie was too extreme in a lot of cases IMO, and the difficulty in the game relied too heavily on a single variable: the wind (e.g. 20 MPH winds seemed like the only way to make the game harder).

I could go on forever, but I don't think it would be a bad thing to just re-think the whole way golf games are played, starting with the swing mechanism itself.
Don’t get me wrong, I did not mean for that to be taken as just add the new courses and call it a day. I am with you, I want quick tournaments back with the ability to watch your opponent Ai golfer swing like TW14 had. In Rory play now it’s like a practice round with a crowd. There does need to be some changes to the swing(especially putting) that adds some ‘feel’ to the shot. TW14 had this down pretty good IMO. Rory IMO was essentially a beta game sold as full. It did have some things going for it like the Golf Channel presentation which I love and the overall tour atmosphere. Love seeing fans walking the course and such although in pga 22 they better act hurt if I hit them with a driver from 5 yards away😂😂. I could go on and on about what this game needs but I’ll stop here for now. Thanks for reading.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:03 PM   #85
All Star

Quote:
It did have some things going for it like the Golf Channel presentation which I love and the overall tour atmosphere.
Golf Channel integration was awesome; they really nailed the feel of a TV broadcast of a tournament, using the same graphics packages etc. that they actually use on the Golf Channel / NBC. That is, until you actually hit the course....

Quote:
Love seeing fans walking the course and such although in pga 22 they better act hurt if I hit them with a driver from 5 yards away😂😂. I could go on and on about what this game needs but I’ll stop here for now. Thanks for reading.
Fan integration was really cool, and it was neat that if you hit the fans, the ball would react (more or less) appropriately. But there were way too many courses where the fans are unrealistically close to the fairways/greens (basically standing on the green itself) and it ends up acting as a 'backstop' or bumpers, because you can fly the green and hit the galleries and it will bounce back onto the green. This wasn't a rare occurrence in the game.

Seeing key shots from playing competitors all over the course would be cool, but it has to be done judiciously and from interesting/cool angles that you wouldn't normally see during regular gameplay, otherwise they get uninteresting quickly.

All that said, the game is coming out in less than a year, so obviously a lot of Rory's "bones" are going to be the basis of this game. No way to start from scratch and release a game in 2022. I'm willing to approach it with an open mind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2021, 10:02 PM   #86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
Golf Channel integration was awesome; they really nailed the feel of a TV broadcast of a tournament, using the same graphics packages etc. that they actually use on the Golf Channel / NBC. That is, until you actually hit the course....

Fan integration was really cool, and it was neat that if you hit the fans, the ball would react (more or less) appropriately. But there were way too many courses where the fans are unrealistically close to the fairways/greens (basically standing on the green itself) and it ends up acting as a 'backstop' or bumpers, because you can fly the green and hit the galleries and it will bounce back onto the green. This wasn't a rare occurrence in the game.

Seeing key shots from playing competitors all over the course would be cool, but it has to be done judiciously and from interesting/cool angles that you wouldn't normally see during regular gameplay, otherwise they get uninteresting quickly.

All that said, the game is coming out in less than a year, so obviously a lot of Rory's "bones" are going to be the basis of this game. No way to start from scratch and release a game in 2022. I'm willing to approach it with an open mind.

I don’t see how they don’t have CBS and jim nantz for Augusta. Also about the fans, I was playing Banff Sprongs the other night and on a par 5 they had fans where if yo came up short you would land on them. Ridiculous. There’s gotta be attention to detail. I do however think they are going all out on this game. No way they don’t with the Augusta return. Hope it has more to offer than just make it to the masters and then career is meaningless. Hoping for a career mode trophy room.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #87
All Star

Quote:
I don’t see how they don’t have CBS and jim nantz for Augusta. Also about the fans, I was playing Banff Sprongs the other night and on a par 5 they had fans where if yo came up short you would land on them. Ridiculous. There’s gotta be attention to detail. I do however think they are going all out on this game. No way they don’t with the Augusta return. Hope it has more to offer than just make it to the masters and then career is meaningless. Hoping for a career mode trophy room.
Yeah, the "attention to detail" part was sorely lacking in that game. Max out your stats with a character, and then continue playing. After every round, the "adding XP" sound effects will still play, but since your character is at the max XP cap, the game will just make that annoying "tallying" noise forever until you hit "X" out to the main menu. It's a relatively minor thing, but just shows how the game basically was never played in any depth by anyone before being released, otherwise that would obviously have been caught. And don't even get me going again on how the shot tracer was invisible if you used golfer perspective view, since it just disappears into the same-colored sky, rendering it completely useless....

As you mentioned, it was almost like a beta, which would have been okay except they charged everyone full price for it. Anyway, let's hope for better things with the next outing. Onward and upward....
Old 06-28-2021, 03:48 PM   #88
Pro

I don't think there was much testing for Banff, it was the last update for the game. They included that course, rotated the 3 Majors and the game was abandoned. Patel was already working for Madden at that time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »