Home

Anaheim Ducks Franchise

This is a discussion on Anaheim Ducks Franchise within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-01-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
MVP

drlw322's Arena

OVR: 24
Anaheim Ducks Franchise

NHL 10
Skills: All Star
Game type: hardcore
Custom sliders

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
MVP

drlw322's Arena

Re: Anaheim Ducks Franchise

Oct. 1, 2009 by Pierre LaBrun | Anaheim Ducks network | www.MightyDucks.Timu

Randy Carlyle wouldn't be the coach he is if he wasn't as demanding as he is.

So while the rest of the world saw an eighth-seeded Ducks team have a wonderful postseason -- upsetting top-seeded San Jose, and pushing the mighty Red Wings to seven games -- the Anaheim coach wonders, "what if?"

"It was satisfying from the standpoint that we won one playoff series against a very good team in San Jose, and in the big picture we took the previous Stanley Cup champs, Detroit, to seven games. And we had an opportunity," Carlyle told ESPN.com. "As a coach, you really look at the opportunity within the game -- we had a 5-on-3 and a 4-on-3 in that hockey game. That should have been enough to give us the advantage in the game. One goal was the difference."

Here are 10 things you need to know about the Ducks this season:

1. Renewed confidence
Last season's playoff success has given the transformed Ducks the sense they belong again after suffering through a midseason swoon last season.

"Going to the playoffs last year, I think a lot of people had doubts. Even within our group, there wasn't exactly those expectations of what happened," star center Ryan Getzlaf told ESPN.com. "Our guys were able to rally and play together as a group. Adding a few tools this year makes this that much better and we're really looking forward to the start of the season."

This is a team that once again believes it belongs with the big boys.

"Our mandate has always been to be an elite organization," said Carlyle, whose Ducks won the Cup in 2007. "It's easy to say, but we're trying to live it. We want to be competitive every year. But there's a lot of firepower in the Western Conference."

2. Secondary scoring
The Ducks were dangerous last spring, but were really a one-line team. There wasn't enough support for Getzlaf, Corey Perry and Bobby Ryan . To that end, GM Bob Murray signed center Saku Koivu in July and added winger Joffrey Lupul in the Chris Pronger trade. Suddenly, the Ducks have two top-flight forward lines.

"It's going to be different," said Getzlaf. "Ever since I got here, we were kind of more of a back-end loaded team, obviously with Prongs and Scotty [Niedermayer]. I think getting rid of Prongs was a big move for Bob and it enabled us to free up space and make our forwards a little bit better. I think anybody who watched last year, we didn't do so well in the secondary scoring department. At times, we struggled, and at times, we were good. So I think Bob's main focus was getting some secondary scoring."

Figure to see a second line featuring longtime Finnish buddies Koivu and Teemu Selanne along with Lupul.

3. Weaker blue line
Beefing up the top-six forward group came at a price. Pronger has gone to Philly and Francois Beauchemin left for Toronto via free agency. Huge losses. With Pronger and Niedermayer, Carlyle never worried about key situations -- either one would be on the ice. Now he's got to do more juggling.

"We always had one of them back on the ice after a power play or a penalty killing, so that is a change," said Carlyle. "And we also lost Beauchemin. We have to have some people within our group step up and chew those minutes that those two players had. We're not asking anybody to be Chris Pronger, but we're asking guys to play safe minutes and be able to play in the 20-plus minutes category."

Niedermayer, Luca Sbisa , James Wisniewski , Ryan Whitney and Nick Boynton figure to be the top five blueliners, with Steve Eminger , Brett Festerling , Sheldon Brookbank , Steve McCarthy and Brendan Mikkelson fighting it out for the final two spots.

4. The top line
Once Ryan had his mid-November call-up last season, he caught fire and garnered Calder Trophy attention. He'll begin the year again with Getzlaf and Perry on a scary-good top line.

"I think I would be crazy not to put Bobby Ryan there to start," said Carlyle. "With the emergence of that line in the last month and a half of the season and into the playoffs, we felt we could put those guys out and compete against the best lines in the game."

5. Top pairing
It's not written in stone, but Carlyle is mulling over the idea of starting the 19-year-old Sbisa, another part of the Pronger deal, along with future Hall of Famer Niedermayer on his top defense pairing.

"It's hard to say, depending on how the Sbisa kid accounts himself," Carlyle said mid-camp. "We have a young defenseman that I don't think it's too far out of the realm of possibility to have him play with Scotty Niedermayer if he proves it to us in this camp and exhibition season that he's capable of handling it. But he's still 19 years old."

6. Goaltending battle
Carlyle raised some eyebrows at the start of camp when he declared that the No. 1 goalie job was up for grabs between Jean-Sebastien Giguere and Hiller. The latter had a breakthrough year last season, carrying the team down the stretch and into the playoffs, but Carlyle has given former Cup champion Giguere an opportunity for a reprieve.

"That's his first exposure," Carlyle said of Hiller. "We've seen with athletes before that, over time, they have to prove themselves, not just for three months of the season. And Giguere has already done that. So it's a tough situation for them to be in; it's a tough decision for us to have to make. So we'll let them decide it and we'll see what we come up with."

7. Ryan the leader
Fresh off a career-high 91-point season, the 24-year-old Getzlaf is coming into his own as the franchise player on this team. And a leader.

"I think ever since I've been here, that's been the role I've wanted to play, the role that I've been given," Getzlaf said. "The year after the Cup was a big thing for me when Teemu stepped away for a while and Scotty was gone. We still had Prongs, but losing a big leader like Teemu on the front end, that was my time to step in and fill that role a little bit. I've been able to ease into it and have great guys around me that have enabled me to do that, as well."

8. Poor penalty killing
The Ducks were only 23rd in the NHL in penalty killing last season, a statistic that must improve if they're going to swim with the big boys this season. The addition of Koivu alone should help on that end since the Finnish veteran killed penalties throughout most of his career in Montreal.

9. A scheduling note
The Ducks just need to survive December; they play 10 of 15 games that month on the road, including twice in San Jose.

10. Olympic exposure
The Ducks could be a busy bunch come late February with as many as nine players Olympic-bound: Getzlaf (Canada), Perry (Canada), Niedermayer (Canada), Koivu (Finland), Selanne (Finland), Ryan (USA), Whitney (USA), Sbisa (Switzerland) and Petteri Nokelainen (Finland) are possibilities.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
MVP

drlw322's Arena

Oct. 3, 2009 by drlw322@dynastymanager | Anaheim Ducks network | Full Boxscore

Anaheim (AP) - Anaheim Ducks kicked their 2009-10 season against the much hated Pacific Division rival San Jose Sharks. The Ducks' upset over the #1 seeded Sharks in the 2009 playoffs still lingers in the minds of the Sharks' players and fans.

The Sharks got physical in the 1st period with their defense and able to create turnovers from the Ducks. But the Ducks didn't back down as they scored a powerplay goal on a fastbreak from Ryan Getzlaf . Getzlaf's wrist shot from an one timer opportunity bounced of the skate of a Shark defender and into the net giving Getzlaf his 1st of 2 goals of the night. The Ducks put a lot of pressure on the Sharks with their new and improved front line by dominating the Sharks zone. Anaheim finished the game with 44 shots on goal. "This was a good way to for us to start of the season, we have alot of confidence this year. We just want to improve on last year's success." - Ryan Getzlaf's

The Sharks kept close with 2 goals in the 3rd period ( D. Setoguchi, P. Marleau C) . Joffrey Lupul was able to come up big with 7 mins to go in the final period with a goal on a rebound from a slapshot and laid the Sharks to rest. Ducks goalie, Jean-Sebastien Giguere also had a nice game saving 21 of 24 shots on goal by the Sharks, but none more critical then a one timer slap shot by T. Moen during the final seconds of the game.

For complete stats, photos, and highlights click on Full Boxscore .

Old 10-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 8

Yes! a Ducks Chise

Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Supersick...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2009, 10:43 PM   #6
MVP

drlw322's Arena

Thanks guys hope you guys follow and enjoy

Old 10-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

OVR: 35

Oh....my....god. That was...freakin amazing. I'm defiently following.

1000 posts achieved on December 21st,2008 at 2:26 p.m in the "birth of the Mighty Blazers" thread.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 5

You have reinspired me mate when it comes to dynastys. Beautiful way to start.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »