Home

Mile High Hockey: Colorado Avalanche NHL 10 Franchise

This is a discussion on Mile High Hockey: Colorado Avalanche NHL 10 Franchise within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Mile High Hockey: Colorado Avalanche NHL 10 Franchise

I've kind of doubted the interest in these things, but it looks like there is a fair amount, so I thought it'd be cool if I started one up. I'll be using the Avs on all star with Flyermania's sliders. I tweaked them a little in my favor. I tried and tried but I was completely overmatched the way they were. I'll do a preview and post the first game tomorrow morning.

Avalanche '09-10 Season Preview

The Colorado Avalanche saw a fair amount of success since the move from Quebec and the Nordique days, with two Stanley Cup wins and six conference championship games, but the last handful of years have seen the team turn a bit towards the wrong direction. They've missed the playoffs two of the last three seasons and posted just a 32-45-5 record last season, the basement of the West last season. There is a plan in place to stop any further slide (no pun intended), but it's going to take some work after losing the core of the team.

Departures
Joe Sakic - One of only two left from the teams time in Quebec City, and most of the Avs veteran leadership, has retired. He takes with him 1641 career points.
Ryan Smyth - Smyth, another veteran, is off to LA's 1st line now. His two seasons in Colorado were marred by injuries, but he still managed 40 goals and 56 assists.
Ian Laperriere - 40 goals, 72 assists during his Avs tenure, Laperriere is yet another veteran forward whose loss will have to be made up for.

Arrivals
Craig Anderson - After sub .500, sub 90% goaltending between Peter Budaj and Andrew Raycroft last season, the Avs look to Craig Anderson, who started only 40 games the last two seasons with Florida and won 23 of them. Budaj stays on board as his backup, but Goaltending will be a big question yet again.
Matt Duchene - The speedy 3rd overall pick from the 2009 entry draft is expected to be with the team from the start this season. He's a fast, heart and soul player playing for his favorite childhood team with a mechanically sound wrist shot.

What The Avs Have Going For Them
Defense -It's not all doom and gloom in Denver, not yet anyway. The defense is going to be the main source of leadership this year, and fans don't think that should be too much to ask. Veterans like Adam Foote and Scott Hannan have not been the defenders they were in years past, but there is hope the Joe Sacco's defensive philosiphy can revitalize them, and John-Michael Liles led Colorado's blueline scoring with 39 points last season.
Milan Hejduk and Wojtek Wolski - This is not by any means an inexperienced offense, and the first line is expected to be a competetive one. Hejduk and Wolski accounted for 101 points last season. Paul Stastny scored 36 points 45 games in his injury plagued 08-09 season. He hopes to play a full season on the line with Hejduk and Wolski this season. This offensive attack may not wow anybody, knowing the defensice style of play Sacco will instill, they have the ability to do just enough.

Projected Lines
Forwards
Wojtek Wolski - Paul Stastny - Milan Hejduk
Cody McLeod - Matt Duchene - Marek Svatos
Darcy Tucker - David jones - Tom Preissing
David Koci - Ryan O'Reilly - Chris Stewart
Extras: TJ Galiardi, Matt Hendricks
Defensemen
John-Michael Liles - Adam Foote
Ruslan Salei - Scott Hannan
Kyle Quincey - Brett Clark
Extras: Kyle Cumiskey,
Goaltenders
Craig Anderson
Peter Budaj

Don't get your hopes up for a playoff run just yet. Let's just focus on getting out of the cellar for a while. The season starts out tough with two home games against San Jose and Vancouver.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Mile High Hockey: Colorado Avalanche NHL 10 Franchise

I'm following bro...Avs are my second favorite team...or close to it.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Pro

Bure10Beezer34's Arena

OVR: 6

Kyle Quincey is a stud! I think you will be surprised with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't challenging Liles for most points by a defensemen. He's excellent on the power play if you choose to put him on either unit.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
MVP

GoldenJet's Arena

OVR: 35

Good luck with the Avalanche. Hope you turn out good.

1000 posts achieved on December 21st,2008 at 2:26 p.m in the "birth of the Mighty Blazers" thread.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
Rookie

Avalanche Of Shots Too Much For Sharks In Opener

3 @ 5

Colorado Lineup
Wojtek Wolski - Paul Stastny - Milan Hejduk
Cody McLeod - Matt Duchene - Marek Svatos
Darcy Tucker - David Jones - Chris Stewart
David Koci - Ryan O'Reilly - Tom Preissing

John Michael Liles - Adam Foote
Ruslan Salei - Scott Hannan
Kyle Quincey - Brett Clark

Goalie - Craig Anderson

San Jose Lineup
Dany Heatley - Joe Thornton - Devin Setoguchi
Patrick Marleau - Benn Ferriero - Ryan Clowe
Joe Pavelski - Manny Malhotra - Jed Ortmeyer
Jody Shelley - Torrey Mitchell - Brad Staubitz

Marc-Edward Vlasic - Rob Blake
Douglas Murray - Dan Boyle
Kent Huskins - Jason Demers

Goalie - Evgeni Nabokov

Summary
It was certainly not the kind of game these two teams were expecting to start the season, and the outcome was equally suprising. Neither team had many chances through ten minutes of the first period. Colorado's good puck movement allowed them to break through at 12:13, as a scrum along the boards left Kyle Quincey alone in the high slot and he recieved the puck to quickly deliver a one timer past Evgeni Nabokov for the first goal. Late in the first, a breakaway tripping penalty on the Sharks' Dan Boyle gave 18 year old Matt Duchene a chance for a dramatic first NHL goal by way of a penalty shot. He would be denied by Nabokov.
The second was a much different looking period. It started with San Jose on a power play carrying over from the first, which Devin Setoguchi and their powerful first line cashed in rather quickly to tie the game. The same line got another one on their very next shift, this time Thornton put in the net, and the Sharks had the lead. San jose would get one more, and the Avs would get two in a 5 goal second period, leaving the score tied at 3.
The Avs came out firing again in the third, getting an even strength goal by Paul Stastny at 1:44, and Marek Svatos would put a bow on it with his second goal of the night at 12:39 to put Colorado up a suprising 5-3, and it would stay that way. There were some fisticuffs in this one too. David Jones took offense to Dan Boyle's trip on Matt Duchene, and they would be on each other all night. It culminated with a late game fight. Noticeably missing from the Avs suprising offensive numbers was Milan Hejduk.

Scoring
1st Period:
Kyle Quincey (McLeod, Svatos) 12:13
2nd Period:
Devin Setoguchi (Heatley, Thornton) PP 1:22
Joe Thornton (Heatley, Setoguchi) 4:04
Marek Svatos (Quincey, Mcleod) PP 9:25
Patrick Marleau (Blake, Clowe) PP 10:25
Wojtek Wolski (Foote) 17:14
3rd Period
Paul Stastny (Quincey, Liles) PP 1:44
Marek Svatos (McLeod) 12:39

Team Comparison
Shots on Goal: SJ-34 Col-36
Hits: SJ-17 Col-15
Faceoffs: SJ-18 Col-13
Time on Attack: SJ-8:14 Col-10:24
PIM: SJ-13:00 Col-9:00
PP: SJ-2/4 Col-2/5

Three Stars
3. 2. 1.

Third Star - Cody McLeod - 3 Assists
Second Star - Kyle Quincey - 1 Goal, 2 Assists
First Star - Marek Svatos - 2 Goals, 1 Assist

Next Game: vs Vancouver

Last edited by JWrightnh; 10-16-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure10Beezer34
Kyle Quincey is a stud! I think you will be surprised with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't challenging Liles for most points by a defensemen. He's excellent on the power play if you choose to put him on either unit.
I guess you called that one. Three points and the second star.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Banned

Aafender10's Arena

OVR: 8

Nice format, follow
Old 10-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Rookie

I won't be able to post unpdates tonght, but I'll have 2 tomorrow, maybe three.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »