Home

OBG's NHL--The League At Large

This is a discussion on OBG's NHL--The League At Large within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32
OBG's NHL--The League At Large

Welp, folks. Turns out I'm crazy. This will be my chronicle of my quest of playing every game (all 1200+) throughout a season mode saved on my console as 'The NHL'.

I will play as the home team for all 1200 games, thus bypassing the sim engine and allowing me to play as all the stars I wish I could be while I'm playing through a Be-A-GM.

All stats and standing will be 100 percent legit as no simming in the entire league will occur.

This chise will be a lot like that of bhursts where he plays one edition of a game for years on end...NHL 12 is definitely good enough to keep me satisfied for a very long time.

Imagine...the league leaders pop up during the game and all the stats are 100 percent true to the players abilities as the games were played and not simulated.

This has already been extremely fun...so...its gonna be a long long haul, but much fun in the process.

Not sure whether I'll play all Blues games as the Blues or play against the Blues when they are on the road. We'll have to see how I feel about that.

I sort of want to play against them so that every team is on an equal footing even though my sliders are definitely competitive enough to cause me to lose more than my fair share of games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Re: OBG's NHL--The League At Large

Thursday October 6th

PHI 2
BOS 3
SOG PHI 38 BOS 43
PP PHI 0/2 BOS 1/2

Gregory Campbells goal with 1.9 seconds remaining in regulation sent the game into OT where the Bruins would win in a shootout. Danielle Briere would score twice in the defeat for the Flyers.

MON 4
TOR 1
SOG MON 34 TOR 27
PP MON 1/5 TOR 0/4

Carey Price was the story in a 4-1 opening night win as the Montreal netminder would stop 26 of 27 shots.

PIT 1
VAN 5
SOG PIT 30 VAN 24
PP PIT 0/3 VAN 1/4

The Vancouver Canucks ran over the Pittsburgh Penguins on opening night as Sidney Crosby was held scoreless by Roberto Luongo. The Canucks defense chipped in for the Canucks with a couple of goals in the decision.

+These updates were off the top of my head, future updates will be better as I will have a notebook in hand.

Enjoy...I know I AM!!!

Remember, I'm the home team (the team on bottom) in each game.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
Banned

rangersfan30's Arena

OVR: 14

Will be following this closely as i am doing the same thing by playing as everyone.

I assume you will make real life trades if/when they happen?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2

Unreal, this is such a crazy task to undertake but it's really a cool idea and I'll definitely be following. Hope the Pens fare better than in game 1!

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey
Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 17

Intriging idea OBG, will definately follow.

As rangersfan30 said are you going to complete all RLF trades or do you have something else up your sleeve? How are you going to manage call-ups (only with injuries or player performance)? Are you going to use the 'best lines' function?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthomp05
Intriging idea OBG, will definately follow.

As rangersfan30 said are you going to complete all RLF trades or do you have something else up your sleeve? How are you going to manage call-ups (only with injuries or player performance)? Are you going to use the 'best lines' function?
Not sure about the trades...probably will follow real life, with a mix of my own ideas in there as well. As far as injuries go, it will depend on who was hurt when it comes to micromanaging rosters. If the injured player was just a 3rd or 4th liner, I'll probably use 'best lines', whereas star player roles will be specifically filled by the most appropriate replacement. Backup Goaltenders will play the 2nd game of back-to-back games.

There are so many kewl aspects to this...for instance, I'm about 2 days and 10-12 games into the schedule and looking at the stat leaders for faceoffs, PP, PK, etc...its interesting to see how the stats look knowing the games were played and not simulated. I'm going to learn a lot about the game by doing this.

For instance, which players are ACTUALLY the best on the draw!!! Which team is the toughest to play against...this will be obvious by looking at their AWAY record whereas I can see who I do the best with (or worst) by looking at the teams HOME records. So addicting this has been.

I'll probably have some updates tomorrow depending on life...

Also...I'll have plenty of time to spend on this as I just got a job where I work 2-10. When I get home, the kiddies will be sleeping and since I'm a nightowl I can play till my heart is content knowing I don't have to be up early anymore.

Another 'house rule' is that if I only shoot on empty nets if I am leading by just 1. If the CPU keeps the goaltender pulled after I've gone up by two, I avoid scoring by dumping pucks into the corner.

Last edited by onlybygrace; 10-14-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
MVP

BZito75's Arena

OVR: 11

following obg.... lets go rangers! i love this idea... im probably gonna have to steal it and play in between my memorial cup chise (that im posting here if you wanna go take a look) lol
Old 10-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 2

wow, what a project. Will definitely follow this!

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »