Home

"It's time to blow it up" - Calgary Flames (Be a GM NHL12)

This is a discussion on "It's time to blow it up" - Calgary Flames (Be a GM NHL12) within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
"It's time to blow it up" - Calgary Flames (Be a GM NHL12)

I overwrote my Be a GM file for the Islanders chise by accident a few weeks ago and haven't started a new one since. I have been thinking about my next project for a while, because I didn't want to start another one with the Isles and there also hasn't been another team that really made want to start a chise with.

However, with the Flames recent struggles, weak play and old team, I decided to start one with the Flames. And this one is going to be radical. The Flames need a major overhaul to be playoff material in the near future, so I basically intend to blow up the core and start over with the available youngsters and add to that via the draft. I will start at the trade deadline 2012 and do what is necessary.

I will use OBG's sliders for this one. OBG's sliders are always fantastic and they seem to do it for me. Shortening periods by a minute though, otherwise I get too many shots. I will do this in a similar style which I had planned for the Isles chise - ten game updates and a blog.

I spent a lot of time changing rosters. I used the last EA roster update as a starting point because they added many CHL players. I changed a lot of ratings of CHL players to make the 2012 draft realistic and also did some work for the 2013 draft. I created many prospects from Europe and college for these two drafts and also created Flames prospects who are not in the game (Markus Granlund, John Ramage, Bill Arnold, John Gaudreau, CJ Severyn).

There is already another Flames chise going at the moment, run by Kovaz477. I suggest you check it out if you haven't done so, it's very good. Don't worry, this will be very different from what Kovaz477 is doing, so I hope you'll follow both his and mine

Hope you enjoy
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: "It's time to blow it up" - Calgary Flames (Be a GM NHL12)

SUTTER AND FEASTER STEP DOWN
HARTSBURG INTERIM COACH *** MILLER NEW GM *** TRADES COMING?

February 22, 2012. Calgary, AB. Flames Head Coach Brent Sutter and General Manager Jay Feaster both announced they would leave the hockey club effective immediately.

Brent Sutter was appointed two and a half years ago, but failed to reach the playoffs in his first two seasons with the Flames. And if the current standings are any indication, the Flames will miss the postseason once again. Insiders believe that frustration with the team, who didn't seem to buy in completely in Sutter's system, has led to his decision to step down.

Jay Feaster has worked for the Flames since summer 2010 when he joined the team as an assistent GM to Darryl Sutter. Feaster took over when Sutter resigned in December 2010. He tried hard making the Flames a successful club again, trading veterans like Robyn Regehr and Daymond Langkow to make the team younger.

Neither Sutter nor Feaster were available for comments.

While the club announced that assistent coach Craig Hartsburg will take over as interim coach, Flames president Ken King also announced a new GM in Robert Miller, a highly successful manager from Europe.

"It was necessary to appoint a new GM immediately", King said. "The trade deadline is coming up, and it could very well be that we will be busy. As for the coaching decision, we think it's best to really explore our options and see who's best for the job. There are not many candidates available during the season. It's possible we'll wait until the off-season."

The new GM Miller was quick to outline his aims. "We'll evaluate the situation and have a good talk with the players", Miller said. "I think a major overhaul is in the books. A lot of work has to be done now, we will be busy ahead of the deadline."

When Miller left the press conference, he was overheard talking to assistent GM Craig Conroy, saying: "It's time to blow it up."
Old 11-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 17

Look forward to this, good luck.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Rookie

TRADE DEADLINE 2012

Duthie
Hi, my name is James Duthie and I want to welcome you to today's NHL trade deadline here on TSN. It's one of the most exciting days in hockey every year, it's a day where cup contenders have the ability to acquire players that could possibly help them make a deep run in the postseason, while the deadline is also a chance for bottom dwellers to cash in on their assets and acquire draft picks and prospects for future success. Along with me, breaking trades and analyzing them, are the hockey insiders behind the trade breaker desk, Bob McKenzie, Gord Miller and Darren Dreger. Welcome to the panel guys. What can we expect today? Any guesses, any names who could possibly be on the move?

Miller
Thanks, James - I think you just have to take a look at the standings to figure out who will be sellers and buyers today. The Bruins could take another run at a Stanley Cup and could therefore look for additional depth up front. Washinton is another Eastern-based team to watch today, and when you look at the Western Conference, I think the Kings, the Sharks and the Canucks could make a deal in search of additional firepower.

McKenzie
I agree, Gord. I would actually add the Panthers and the Predators to that list, they are doing fine in the standings and could become a real threat if they find a good deal or two. I would also look at teams that are on the brink of being playoff-material - those teams will have to make a decision: do you believe in your team and go for "win now" or do you prefer building for the future? In either way, it's going to be very interesting tonight.

Dreger
Can't agree more, Bob. I think the Jets fit that bill, they could still squeak in and they somehow have to keep up the fan support. At the other end of the spectrum, you find teams that will definitely consider dealing a few players today - I know teams don't like the word with "R", but I think rebuilding might be the only choice for a few franchises. The Flames could look into that, the Senators and the Avalanche are not doing well at the moment and the Islanders and the Blue Jackets are also in big trouble. We're certainly in for a spectacular evening.

[...]

McKenzie
I'm receiving word that the Flames have started the night with two trades, let's see how they break down:

Calgary Flames acquire
DatePittsburgh Penguins acquire

3rd round pick 2013

February 27

D Cory Sarich

Calgary Flames acquireDateWashington Capitals acquire

3rd round pick 2013

February 27

RW David Moss

Miller
No big surprise here. Sarich and Moss are both scheduled to become unrestricted free agents at the end of the season, and it's certainly not surprising that the Flames try to unload a few of their upcoming UFAs to contenders for draft picks.

Dreger
I like the deal for Washington, they were looking for a bottom six forward for quite some time now and they get a hard-working guy in Moss that can chip in offensively.

McKenzie
Definitely. However, I'm surprised they Penguins go out and trade for Sarich - yes, they needed a defenseman after Lovejoy and Engelland both went down with injuries, but Sarich wasn't the big prize today and I thought they'd be looking for top-line-material. However, Sarich will add leadership and will surely contribute on their second or third defensive line.

Dreger
I think it's noteworthy that both picks for Calgary are for next year, not this year. Both this year's and next year's draft classes are expected to be very good and deep, but it's interesting the Flames didn't start with picks for this year.

[...]

Dreger
We got another one out of Calgary, and this one is a big one for sure:

Calgary Flames acquire
DateWinnipeg Jets acquire

LW Andrew Ladd
2nd round pick 2012
2nd round pick 2013

February 27

LW Alex Tanguay
RW Rene Bourque
4th round pick 2012
4th round pick 2013

McKenzie
Wow. I'm a bit speechless right now ... you look at Tanguay and Bourque, both are signed for a long time. Ladd as well, actually. I did not see that one coming.

Miller
You can certainly see the desperation of the Jets here. They want to reach the playoffs in their first season so badly, and they probably thought that a veteran like Tanguay and a valuable sniper like Bourque could get them there. I think it's an overpayment though - giving up Ladd and two good picks, that's very steep in my opinion.

McKenzie
Agreed. The Flames seem to win this one. Ladd is still a young guy, and swapping two fourth-round choices for two seconds is fantastic as well. Robert Miller has really gone out and made a splash early in today's deadline.

[...]

McKenzie
Robert Miller makes his fourth deal today, and he acquires another draft pick:

Calgary Flames acquireDatePhiladelphia Flyers acquire

2nd round pick 2013

February 27

D Anton Babchuk
D Brett Carson

McKenzie
It's another 2013 pick, while also shipping out two more defensemen after already unloading Sarich. What do think about this one, guys?

Dreger
Well, the Flyers were looking for an offensive defenseman, and they could do worse than Babchuk and his hard shot. His teammates name him "boom-boom" for a reason. Not sure why they'd include Carson, though.

Miller
Well, my sources tell me that Robert Miller was looking for a second-round pick for Babchuk, but the Flyers wanted another defenseman before agreeing to give up that pick. You could see their thinking - Pronger and Timonen don't get younger and Coburn could actually test free agency this summer. I think this one is quite balanced - Babchuk could easily be a "15 goals/40 points"-type of player, and Carson adds depth. The Flames get another good pick for their obvious rebuild ...

McKenzie
That's four new 2013 picks for the Flames now, two seconds and two thirds. Not a bad way refilling the prospect stocks, isn't it?

Dreger
I agree. I still expect Miller to trade for more 2012 picks though and maybe a prospect or two. The question now is: do they keep Iginla and Kiprusoff, their backbone players for many years, to help their young players get used to the NHL game, or do the Flames completely clean house and trade those two as well?

Miller
Difficult choice. Iginla is the face of the franchise and Kiprusoff continues to steal them games on a regular basis. But this has already been radical - I wouldn't be surprised if they actually risked that.

McKenzie
Hard to sell it to the fans, though. Calgary without Iginla is something that is hard to imagine.

Duthie
We'll find out soon enough. Guys, sorry to interrupt, but we have to make a short commercial break. Stay tuned for full coverage of the 2012 Trade Deadline, only here on TSN. We'll be right back.

Last edited by devo22; 11-24-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Rookie

TRADE DEADLINE 2012

Duthie

We are back here on TSN and it seems we already have an answer to our question about the situation of Iginla and Kiprusoff in Calgary. Gord, what do you have for us?

Miller
Well James, it seems the Flames have decided to go "all in" today. The following trade has been confirmed by Robert Miller himself:

Calgary Flames acquire
DateTampa Bay Lightning acquire

G Dwayne Roloson
1st round pick 2012

February 27

G Miikka Kiprusoff

Dreger
I simply love the idea behind this trade. Tampa Bay receives one of the best goaltenders in the game and Kiprusoff gets a legitimate chance to win a Stanley Cup, while the Flames get a veteran goaltender to mentor Henrik Karlsson and/or Leland Irving before he chooses to retire. And that first round pick? Golden. The Flames just needed that. So here we have trade that makes sense for both teams, I love that.

McKenzie
I agreed. Robert Miller has done a fine job here. He waiteduntil the end of the deadline to cash in on the most valuable assets of the Flames, and this one is just fantastic if you think about the future. Effectively, it's Kipper for a first round pick, and that's just fair as far as I'm concerned.

[...]

McKenzie
Robert Miller has done it, he completely blew up the whole team that was the Calgary Flames. But see for yourself:

Calgary Flames acquire
DateBoston Bruins acquire

LW Jared Knight
RW Ryan Spooner
1st round pick 2012

February 27

RW Jarome Iginla
LW Logan MacMillan

Miller
Wow, the Flames made the Bruins bleed here. This is what you get for waiting until the very end - teams tend to overpay then for their targets, and this is what happens here. The Flames manage to net themselves two highly ranked forward prospects and a first round pick for Iginla ... they couldn't have done any better.

Dreger
I agree. Jarome Iginla has been the face of the Flames for over a decade, but in retrospect of the recent months it is no surprise to see him on the move. He has lacked the leadership and the hustle that have made him a superstar during this season, and a change of scenery should just be right for him. Consider this: he doesn't have to be THE guy in Boston. He was the lone leader in Calgary, but he could just be a simple scoring winger in Boston, without having the pressure to be a lone saviour. This should fit Iggy.

McKenzie
Calgary benefits just as much as Boston, maybe even more in my books. Spooner and Knight are more than promising prospects - they will be very good in the NHL. Just give them a year in the AHL and they will be worth giving up Iggy. And that first rounder? Come on. Calgary is the winner of this one in my opinion, but it surely is close.

[...]

Duthie
So that's a wrap. We have seen numerous trades, also big names were on the move. The following months should certainly be spectacular. Thank you very much for joining us. I am James Duthie, TSN.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #6
Pro

BOOM! some nice deals in there.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 17

way to stock the draft shelf.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Rookie

Not sure if I like the Kipper trade but the Iginla trade is absolutely golden bud. Nice work

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »