Home

The Red Sea- A Cowtown Dynasty

This is a discussion on The Red Sea- A Cowtown Dynasty within the Hockey Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #1
Pro

DrGravyBoat's Arena

OVR: 0
The Red Sea- A Cowtown Dynasty

Overview

Game: NHL 17

System: PS4

Team: Calgary Flames

Rosters: Default

Tuner Set: I'll make my own, so allow me a few days after release to get some I like

Hey Guys,

I know it may be a little early for an NHL 17 dynasty since we just under a month from release but I thought, in order to build some "hype" and get invested more in the Dynasty, I thought I'd start a thread now.

I'll be running with the Calgary Flames for this one, as the Calgary Flames are my favourite team, and I think they're an interesting story. With everything the way it is, now in Calgary the team seems to be a bright spot for the city. The city's love for the Flames runs through everyone. And at every home game, a Sea of Red forms, proving to everyone why Calgary is so great.

I love the city, and I love the team.

I'm gonna try to make this one as realistic as possible. That includes "no-trade clauses" in contracts. I will honor those. However, occasionally players will "waive" their no movement clauses. I will be realistic in that sense also. Furthermore, I'm not gonna try to offer massive contracts to superstar players every season. I'll pick my spots. In addition, I'll make a realistic determination on whether or not we have a chance to make the playoffs and proceed at the trade deadline to sell or buy.

Something I've wanted to try for a while is sabermetrics in an EA game. I'm not going to build my entire team based off statistics, but I will take a look at players who match certain criteria.

Please allow me a few posts as "reserves" and then we'll be on our way.

So please, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
Pro

DrGravyBoat's Arena

Re: The Red Sea- A Cowtown Dynasty

Reserve:

Yearly Results

Last edited by DrGravyBoat; 08-19-2016 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
Pro

DrGravyBoat's Arena

Reserve:

Awards and Accolades
Old 08-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Pro

DrGravyBoat's Arena

Team Info

City: Calgary, Alberta

Arena: Scotiabank Saddledome

Inaugural Season: 1980*

Conference: Western

Divison: Pacific

Divison Titles: 6

Conference Titles: 3

Stanley Cups: 1 (1989)

Mascot: Harvey the Hound

Head Coach: Gus Gulutzan

General Manager: Brad Treliving

All-time Record: 1233-1009-271-105 (W-L-OTL-T)

Last edited by DrGravyBoat; 08-20-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Pro

DrGravyBoat's Arena

Reserve:

NHL Yearly (From 2016-2017)

Good to Post
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2016, 11:14 PM   #6
Pro

DrGravyBoat's Arena

Calgary, AB- An eventful offseason for the Calgary is slowly wrapping up. The Flames, who finished last year at a disappointing 35-40-7 (12th in the Western Conference, 26th Overall) and fired Head Coach Bob Hartley, have made some big moves.

Arguably their biggest, and undoubtedly most necessary was the acquisition of a quality goaltender in Brian Elliot. "Moose", formerly of the Ottawa Senators, Colorado Avalanche, and St. Louis Blues holds an impressive .914 Save % and a solid 2.40 GAA (Goals Against Average). Acquired for a second round draft pick in 2016 and a conditional 2018 3rd round selection, dependant on whether Elliot resigns with the team. While he looks like a immediate-relatively long-term solution in goal, the Flames have looked for answers to their goaltending woes outside of the organization before with mixed results. The most notable of their acquisitions is Mikka Kipprusoff. Elliot being a Kipprusoff-like acquisition would be the best case scenario for the Flames. The worst case scenario would resemble Jonas Hiller (Or Karri Ramo, or Vesa Toskala, or Reto Berra, or Joey MacDonald or Henrik Karlson). None-the-less, Flames fan should be excited. Elliot presents the Flames Organization a large body of work, removing the "fluke" possibility as much as possible.

Along with acquiring Elliot on draft night, the Flames also selected Matthew Tkachuk, son of Keith Tkachuk, with the 6th overall selection. Tkachuk is like sandpaper, he's gritty and that's precisely what the Flames' youth movement need. Bryan Burke called Tkachuk "A pain in the a-- that we need". He can also put the puck to twine, to an NHL capable level. And on top of all that, he's "clutch". Tkachuk scored the Memorial Cup winning goal this past spring, and proved his worth in the process. He could very well crack the opening night lineup. In an upcoming article, we discuss who has a chance to make and leave the NHL roster in more detail.

Calgary's final "big" move this summer was the signing of veteran winger, Troy Brouwer. Brouwer, previously of the Washington Capitals and St. Louis Blues gives the Flames a veteran presence on a young squad. With 700+ total NHL games (Regular Season and Playoffs) and 326 total points, he should definitely provide the Flames leadership for the upcoming season.

Finally, we've compiled a list of players that player in the NHL last year, and are in line for a spot on the opening night against Edmonton. Players to watch during the preseason, which begins September 26th against the Oilers include:

Michael Ferland (Likely to be first forward sent to the AHL)
Ladislav Smid (Coming off injury, needs to impress to stay relevant)
Jyrki Jokikappa (Could be sent down, depending on how well Smid and others do)
Dennis Wideman (Not too well liked in Calgary, could be moved with a bad preseason and start to the regular season
Alex Chiasson (New team, looking to start off well)

And More...

Look for more "In depth" coverage in our later "Preseason Watch-list" article.

Old 08-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #7
Pro

flames are definately an interesting team
Old 08-20-2016, 01:02 PM   #8
Pro

DrGravyBoat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirdViper
flames are definately an interesting team
Thanks for the first comment,

The Flames are a really interesting team, it's going to a tough decision to determine whether to go for a playoff run soon, or wait a few years.

Thanks for checking in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Hockey Dynasties »