Home

Is it just me, or did EA finally fix plays per game?

This is a discussion on Is it just me, or did EA finally fix plays per game? within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #1
Banned

ManyFacedMod's Arena

OVR: 0
Is it just me, or did EA finally fix plays per game?

A long standing pet-peeve of mine with Madden has been that when simulating other games besides the mine in my solo offline franchise, the total plays for all the CPU games would usually total around 110-115 plays per game.

Of course, in a real NFL game the average is more like 120-125 plays per game. This has always partially contributed I think to EA’s sometimes wonky season stats.

(For sake of discussion, total plays = throw attempts + run attempts + sacks. It does not include FG’s, XP’s, Punts, or kickoffs).

This year, out of curiosity, I just added up the plays for all CPU teams for the first few weeks of my regular season to get the average... and low behold! The average plays per CPU team in week 1 was 122.3 plays!

In week 2 it was 121.9 plays!

In week 3 119.9 plays!

Is anyone else getting the same play totals and seeing much more realistic totals? Could EA have possibly fixed this after YEARS of being off the real average?

Last edited by ManyFacedMod; 03-14-2021 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2021, 11:21 AM   #2
Banned

ManyFacedMod's Arena

Re: Is it just me, or did EA finally fix plays per game?

*crickets chirp*

No one thinks this is a big deal?

Maybe I'm late to the party and everyone already knows?

I've seen many posts on OS over the years lamenting how the average numbers of plays in simmed games was lower than in real NFL games.

It seems fixed in Madden 21.

Isn't that a good thing, lol?
Old 03-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFacedMod
*crickets chirp*

No one thinks this is a big deal?

Maybe I'm late to the party and everyone already knows?

I've seen many posts on OS over the years lamenting how the average numbers of plays in simmed games was lower than in real NFL games.

It seems fixed in Madden 21.

Isn't that a good thing, lol?
I find that interesting topics in general get ignored here. The only constant is people posting their twitch account
Old 03-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #4
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boedefeld
I find that interesting topics in general get ignored here. The only constant is people posting their twitch account
I mean; honestly, this IS the slider forum - so it may be a hair off-topic (though, not egregiously enough that I think a mod should move it). It IS a notable observation - but it doesn't really change anything about how one adjusts the game and there isn't too much to really discuss (either the observation is accurate or it is not).

Frankly, this is the "dead time" for the Madden forum in general right now anyways. Once pre-release for 22 starts, we'll get activity (people whining about what they want in the game). Then once the game drops, we'll get more activity (people whining about what they don't like). After some patches, we'll get activity (people whining about the patches). After the patch cycle is complete (where we are now), it'll quiet-down for the most part until pre-release for the next game... (rinse and repeat)
Old 03-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
Banned

ManyFacedMod's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I mean; honestly, this IS the slider forum - so it may be a hair off-topic (though, not egregiously enough that I think a mod should move it). It IS a notable observation - but it doesn't really change anything about how one adjusts the game and there isn't too much to really discuss (either the observation is accurate or it is not).

Frankly, this is the "dead time" for the Madden forum in general right now anyways. Once pre-release for 22 starts, we'll get activity (people whining about what they want in the game). Then once the game drops, we'll get more activity (people whining about what they don't like). After some patches, we'll get activity (people whining about the patches). After the patch cycle is complete (where we are now), it'll quiet-down for the most part until pre-release for the next game... (rinse and repeat)
I put it in this forum because I've seen a few slider creators over the years instruct people to use a clock setting that achieves about 110 plays, due this shortcoming with total plays in simmed games. I've seen threads where people go so far as using super-sim for all CPU games, to get more realistic stats.

I remembered this thread (also from the slider sub-forum) where other OS'ers were discussing this very issue as recently as December 2020:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...roduction.html

I have seen this discussed on OS in general many times, like in this thread from 2019:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...cfm-games.html

Heck... I think this has been an issue in Madden almost a decade.

I suppose the main forum might have been better, but I hope this is finally fixed moving forward in future Madden games. It has always driven me nuts.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »