Home

Game Speed & QB time in pocket

This is a discussion on Game Speed & QB time in pocket within the Madden NFL Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Game Speed & QB time in pocket

One issue I've had with 18 since launch is the time QBs have in the pocket. They should on average have about 3 seconds before having to scramble or throw the ball, however with everything default average time is over 5 seconds, and I feel most sacks are generated by coverage/CPU QB statue.

Tweaking the pass blocking helped, however the CPU was hitting WRs deep before the pass rush could even get near the QB even when the pass rusher had a clean swim move at first contact with the O lineman.

To solve this issue I changed min speed threshold to 100, goal was for the pass rush to be "sped up" while the WRs and TEs running routes would essentially "slow down".

This has worked great to get the average time to throw to about 3 seconds, however I had to take the pass coverage down and raise the pass reaction to 100, in hopes of having the CPU QB not become a statue because players were not wide open, this was done to make the CPU "see" an open receiver, while the pass reaction being high helped them recover from the decreased pass coverage slider. Still was having some issues w the CPU QB doing the statue with QB ACC at 36, just raised the CPU QB ACC to 100 to see what kind of QB play I get, if I can get the CPU QB to start throwing into tight coverage I'll take that over seeing the periodic over/under thrown ball, could lower WR catch to keep their numbers on par, plus having the increased pass rush helps get QBs "under pressure" which decreases their accuracy.

I've been playing with game speed at normal, however I'm curious what this changes? Also what speed are you using and WHY?

I could see a benefit if it slowed down the game play while maintaining the speed of the animations, as I notice pass rushing animations can really slow a pass rusher down during the animation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Game Speed & QB time in pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by guff
One issue I've had with 18 since launch is the time QBs have in the pocket. They should on average have about 3 seconds before having to scramble or throw the ball, however with everything default average time is over 5 seconds, and I feel most sacks are generated by coverage/CPU QB statue.

Tweaking the pass blocking helped, however the CPU was hitting WRs deep before the pass rush could even get near the QB even when the pass rusher had a clean swim move at first contact with the O lineman.

To solve this issue I changed min speed threshold to 100, goal was for the pass rush to be "sped up" while the WRs and TEs running routes would essentially "slow down".

This has worked great to get the average time to throw to about 3 seconds, however I had to take the pass coverage down and raise the pass reaction to 100, in hopes of having the CPU QB not become a statue because players were not wide open, this was done to make the CPU "see" an open receiver, while the pass reaction being high helped them recover from the decreased pass coverage slider. Still was having some issues w the CPU QB doing the statue with QB ACC at 36, just raised the CPU QB ACC to 100 to see what kind of QB play I get, if I can get the CPU QB to start throwing into tight coverage I'll take that over seeing the periodic over/under thrown ball, could lower WR catch to keep their numbers on par, plus having the increased pass rush helps get QBs "under pressure" which decreases their accuracy.

I've been playing with game speed at normal, however I'm curious what this changes? Also what speed are you using and WHY?

I could see a benefit if it slowed down the game play while maintaining the speed of the animations, as I notice pass rushing animations can really slow a pass rusher down during the animation.
If you don't mind me asking. What did you lower the pass coverage slider to?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
Banned

ncbravesfan's Arena

Tested this last night and in two games of CPU vs. CPU in Play Now, saw a considerable difference. Before, the teams were combining for like 10-12 sacks a game. In the two games I tested, it was 4 and 7.

I went back and looked at week one in last year's actual NFL season and here was the combined sack per game breakdown:

8 - two games
7 - one game
6 - one game
5 - three games
4 - two games
3 - two games
2 - three games
1 - two games

I'm going to do some more testing tonight, but this seems to be yielding much more realistic results. Thanks!

Last edited by ncbravesfan; 08-28-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
All Star

schnaidt1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbravesfan
Tested this last night and in two games of CPU vs. CPU in Play Now, saw a considerable difference. Before, the teams were combining for like 10-12 sacks a game. In the two games I tested, it was 4 and 7.

I went back and looked at week one in last year's actual NFL season and here was the combined sack per game breakdown:

8 - two games
7 - one game
6 - one game
5 - three games
4 - two games
3 - two games
2 - three games
1 - two games

I'm going to do some more testing tonight, but this seems to be yielding much more realistic results. Thanks!
you cant test anything in play now....it plays 10000000% different then cfm...

all testing in play now has zero credibility for cfm.

Sent from my VS987 using Operation Sports mobile app

Games I'm playing: NBA 2k, Madden, MLB the Show, Division 2, Warzone

Please subscribe to my youtube channel for gaming content. https://youtu.be/PXU8cqLnq6w
Old 08-28-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Rookie

Here's the sliders I'm currently running while testing, I will release a post for them once I feel they are fine tuned.

Hum/CPU
QB ACC 36/100
Pass block 37/37
CATCHING 49/49
Run block 24/30
Fumble 50/50
Pass react 100/100
Interception 21/21
Pass coverage 50/50
Tackle 40/40

Min threshold: 100
Game speed: Normal

Halfway thru a game against the packers, Rodgers is 73.3% with only one statue sack, although the coverage was pretty good.

I'm curious if All madden has the CPU QB finding open guys more often, every time I have a sack I check the replay to see if the CPU QB missed an open receiver at any point, most sacks they do. If I start generating sacks and notice the coverage is so good there is not a single open receiver I will decrease pass coverage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 2

This is very interesting. I'll give this a shot myself. I almost have a perfect set of cpu vs cpu sliders I just want a better pass rush and the qb to make faster decisions and not take a boat load of sacks
Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
Rookie

I've dropped then Hum pass coverage to 0, seems to be working even better, Kessler went for 57% in the last 0 td and 2 int against me (lions), and only 160 yes so he was much more willing to check down if the guy was open early.

Also dropped catching to 48 for both HUM and CPU and dropped HUM run block to 0.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:58 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by guff
I've dropped then Hum pass coverage to 0, seems to be working even better, Kessler went for 57% in the last 0 td and 2 int against me (lions), and only 160 yes so he was much more willing to check down if the guy was open early.

Also dropped catching to 48 for both HUM and CPU and dropped HUM run block to 0.
How many sacks did each team have in this game

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Football Sliders »