Home

Madden 24 Review: Excels on the Field but Stumbles Elsewhere

This is a discussion on Madden 24 Review: Excels on the Field but Stumbles Elsewhere within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2023, 02:27 PM   #17
MVP

sheredia's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Madden 24 Review: Excels on the Field but Stumbles Elsewhere

reviews are not surprising at all......madden just trying to keep pace with the elite sports games as usual. no innovation, no extra modes, brought back superstar but couldn't even get that right. it really is just copy and paste every year and add some fancy field sense, sapien tech mumbo jumbo and call it a day. it seems that MUT will ultimately (pardon the pun) be the end of this game.
Old 08-27-2023, 02:35 AM   #18
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I bought madden 23 about a month ago for $15 and plan to go with that until next July if at all for 24. For one, in the past month I’ve owned it I’m only at week 3 in my franchise and also I just don’t think yearly sports games are worth a $70 price, including the more complete ones.

My time with Madden 24 beta didn’t have me as impressed with gameplay as many are. Run blocking was the only real obvious area that changed to my admittedly casual eyes.

Oddly I was most excited about the return of the mini games and hoping they would be a new refreshing way to get some football in but like a lot of madden ideas they don’t seem to be implemented well.

Some years I do keep watching for discounts or get tempted to grab it on Black Friday. I don’t think this will be one of them

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Yeah I think the minigames are not nearly as great as they were where you had different levels of them where you could risk your points for greater reward. Most of the minigames have tougher variations so they could have done something similar. But the biggest issue is still the week to week grind. It's just not fun and engaging.

It's better than 23 but not nearly as a big of a change that I expected. I keep hoping for more interesting scenarios, more engaging UI, and the feeling as if I'm in an actual league.

I think if they keep making upgrades to the mode it can be really good in a few years but as it stands now it is still very stale as a single player experience.

The review pretty much nailed it on the head.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2023, 02:37 AM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Can confirm the review author is not who you speak of.

I know this because the review author actually said positive things about this year's game. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that Madden 24 has some long-standing major problems off the field which are really standing out now that on-field play is pretty reasonably in a good spot (a few personal grievances of mine such as the absence of strategic updates on defense notwithstanding).
Yeah, from all crazy Madden videos posted lately. Im not sure about that. I love all the glitch videos you never know whats going to happen.
Old 08-28-2023, 03:36 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjhurla
I have been a huge Madden player since it first came out. So I am a bit old (52). However after the first year of madden on PS5 I was so disappointed how unrealistic it had become. I stopped playing and was actually thinking about getting back into it. But…while this reviewer says gameplay has gotten better, numerous others have said it has not. NBA 2k and MLB the show are my go to’s and are in a different league than madden and it’s not close. So is there any objective minded person that can say gameplay is better in Madden since 2-3 years ago as it seems like the same old issues? Otherwise I am hopi g the new college game is a refreshing, realistic way to get back into football games.

I am similar to you. I am 36 and have been purchasing and playing Madden every year since 1994. I also enjoy NBA2k and MLB The Show for their gameplay and attention to franchise modes. I purchased this year's game but decided to return it. Maybe I'll purchase it when it's deeply discounted, but for now I will stick with another year of NCAA Football 14.

The run blocking is marginally improved on the offensive side, but just about everything else is the same or worse. They passing mechanics are poor, there still is no pocket, downfield play is basic, etc etc. The graphical/motion engine was giving me bizarre stuff in my first few games (like Josh Allen on a scramble being knocked backwards before turning 180 degrees on his ankles to fall forward. Contact glitching entirely through other players. Seemingly no connection between the ball and the other physical elements it should be interacted with.)

The game also looks pretty bland to me. Not just the presentation, but the graphics in general seem like they have plateaued.

As a franchise only player, I was frustrated with how linear franchise now seems. Their "fix" to franchise seems to be lock most of franchise into a linear progression path so you are just clicking through very slow menus in what is largely a scripted progression environment. Customization is scaled back again and continues as the worst among the major sports games. In-game customization is basically a barren wasteland now.

This game looks, plays, feels and presents like a mobile game. Given what they were saying in the offseason, I think this might be the most disappointing Madden I have ever played. Hopefully patches and some other things can make this worth a discounted price later in the year, but I have my doubts.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:18 PM   #21
Rookie

Linebacker57's Arena

Nice review man.

I can definitely feel more smoothness on the field and the more animations are making the game play better, but let's face it, if Madden followed the progression in development like it should of since acquiring the license, we would of had this exact game like 5 years ago.

I can't believe how bad some things still are like the replays. They haven't changed since last year and you'll still get the most exciting part of a play completely cut out because they don't have an intuitive replay system, just programmed to show footage triggered rigidly by certain actions. All pro football 2k8 will most likely still have better replays for years to come.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2023, 06:34 AM   #22
Rookie

Richie71's Arena

It's a very valid review.

On-field gameplay is genuinely very good. There are atmosphere failings, poor replays, crowd reaction, commentary etc. The gameplay though is good.

Back end (outside of onfield) though is poor. Lagging menus, weak modes. Franchise mode in particular. Even simple things like the AI not having access to the scenario engine and so your team quickly builds a better roster, are inexcusable.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:45 AM   #23
Rookie

New Jersey Giants's Arena

I wouldn't call the gameplay good. It's the best It's been on the Frostbite engine (how many years did that take). Gameplay is wonky and bunch of animations. Hits and running don't feel natural. Line play is atrocious. WR's and DB interactions is still not fixed. But it's smoother than Madden 17-23
Old 08-29-2023, 08:10 AM   #24
Rookie

Haven't purchased Madden since Madden 15 (thought it was garbage) - kept playing Madden12 on the 360 for years; this winter I bought an old PS2 and tried to play the ole Maddens but the graphics were just too dated.

Bought Madden 24 and so far the on field game play IMO is really solid. Everyone complaining but I'd like to know what they are comparing it to that is so great? NCAA14 was not the greatest of gameplay games either - I had to place many house rules on myself as a player to make the game realistic (No 4 Verts, Limit the Zone read etc.). This games really plays solid in my honest opinion and the only slider I've messed with so far is the INT slider for HUM & CPU (Lowered it to 35). Usually I'm in a slider mess trying to get a football game to play semi-realistic by now.

Graphic Glitches happen in every game, MLB the Show is my fav. game and it has its own share of glitches. It is what it is.

Now I do think the presentation is garbage and could have more atmosphere to put the game over the top. I do not know how they have such a beautiful game but ZERO atmosphere additions.

I've messed around with Franchise Mode enough to get the gist - Again what are you comparing it to that is so great? Your imagination is what makes a franchise mode have longevity. Waiting to see if they fix the draft class graphic issues before settling in, but I've never played a game that doesn't have issues or work arounds needed. Even sim stats aren't that far off (which is rare in every game even MLB the Show, Old School Maddens and the NCAAs had simulated stat issues. I think they have too much going on in Franchise Mode myself. I do wish they'd get rid of the freaking auto-save and slows menus.

Disclaimer - I despise EA Sports. And if it wasn't for the DB Editor or Mods NCAA had a ton of issues. With no ability to edit the PS5 version of NCAA being released next summer - YOU REALLY THINK THAT GAME IS GOING TO BE CLEAN? Wait until the white cornerback with same first and last name, John John, a 5'8 175lbs number one recruit from South Dakota who is interested in the service academies is leading the story lines in your dynasty... in the words of Bart Scott, "Can't Wait"!

Last edited by GAMEBREAKER85; 08-29-2023 at 08:44 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »