Home

Formation Subs at playcalling screen

This is a discussion on Formation Subs at playcalling screen within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2013, 04:10 AM   #1
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7
Formation Subs at playcalling screen

We all know the problem in the past with doing formation subs while at the playcalling screen - the game permanently puts the player there for the rest of the game (or is it the rest of the season even? I forget if it lasts that long) no matter what you try to do. Either its been broken for years, or I've been totally missing the workaround this whole time. Either way, can anyone say if these are working correctly now? I've been hesitant to try them given my past experiences with them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-08-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Formation Subs at playcalling screen

I believe it is setup purposely to keep the subs as you set them until you change them manually...I believe this is EA/Tiburons way of setting up personnel specific sets, as well as for relieving tired players..

Therefore if you have shotgun sets, for example, that you want a speed HB or catching RB in on, always, you can set this up as soon as the game starts and not have to mess with it all game..
Old 12-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I believe it is setup purposely to keep the subs as you set them until you change them manually...I believe this is EA/Tiburons way of setting up personnel specific sets, as well as for relieving tired players..

Therefore if you have shotgun sets, for example, that you want a speed HB or catching RB in on, always, you can set this up as soon as the game starts and not have to mess with it all game..
This is 100% correct. If only it lasted all season so you didn't have to do it at the start of each game. Or even better would be how it used to be where you could set it up without having to go into the game and risking a delay of game penalty to get it set up.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N
This is 100% correct. If only it lasted all season so you didn't have to do it at the start of each game. Or even better would be how it used to be where you could set it up without having to go into the game and risking a delay of game penalty to get it set up.
Yup, this is the way NCAA does it and the way Madden USED to do it...

NCAA allows you to set O / D / ST formation subs in the main menu OUTSIDE played games and RECENT Madden USED to at least let you:

1) Turn off the clock for one play

2) Set Formation Subs

3) They'd stick for the entire SEASON

Going in "reverse" on this issue, EA...

Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Better yet:

Have adjustable depth charts that can be accessed from the main CMM menu for every formation in your team's playbook, including special teams.

Formation-specific substitutions should be determined before games, not during them.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #6
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

My issue with this is that you can't use the thumbstick-controlled subs if you've used the RB controlled ones. I.e. you bring in your 3rd string RB for a play or two, then when you want to quickly switch to your 2nd RB for a play by using the HB Sub option in the formation, the 3rd RB will still be in there. And it continues this over the course of a season; I have one formation with the Giants where no matter what I do, Brandon Jacobs is always in on the play. It's just a pain in the *** to have to manually do it every time you want to switch your RBs in a formation, it's much less intuitive than the thumbstick, but allows more flexibility than it at the cost of future flexibility. I'd like to be able to use my full stable of RB on my roster, but I shy away from that due to the permanence of the in-huddle formation subs. And on defense its especially troublesome, since you can't control when the offense goes to the line and have very minimal time to make your subs.

Last edited by FedExPope; 12-16-2013 at 02:41 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
All Star

JayD's Arena

OVR: 16

Broken auto subs, disappearing players with higher fatigue settings, no formation subs, inability to edit subs for CPU controlled teams. Come on EA these things have been neglected long enough. My main gripe with auto subs is that you rarely ever see the running back sub out even with a sub out/in setting of 99/100! You can't do anything about it due to that if you increase fatigue you'll start seeing disappearing players and positions that you dont want to come off the field, specifically your offensive line , come off the field. This even with a 0/1 sub setting.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Jarodd21's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Better yet:

Have adjustable depth charts that can be accessed from the main CMM menu for every formation in your team's playbook, including special teams.

Formation-specific substitutions should be determined before games, not during them.
I definitely would like to see this added to the game for Madden 15.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »