Home

How is CPU player progression in your NG franchise?

This is a discussion on How is CPU player progression in your NG franchise? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: How is CPU player progression in your NG franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadz
I stopped practicing to solve the player progression issue tbh.
I'm talking about CPU player progression, not progression on Human teams. Specifically backup players on CPU rosters.

I just ran a test in year 3 of my franchise. I wrote down the ratings of a bunch of players on CPU teams including their OVR's. I wrote this down right before advancing from the off-season of year 2 into the pre season of year 3.

Not a SINGLE RATING went up or down on CPU players... Their OVRs changed I assume because their "production" rating reverted to zero and plus some CPU teams probably changed their schemes if they hired new coaches.

But as I said... Their actual ratings, AWR, short medium and deep accuracy, tackle and hit power... You name it... NOTHING progressed or regressed.

Now for starting players on CPU teams their ratings did increase because as starters they were earning XP from starting games. But the backups barely get any, and some 3rd stringers literally did not progress in a SINGLE rating through the whole regular and off season and didn't earn any XP since they're not starting/playing at all.

So there are some players who have "superstar" development potential on CPU teams, but since they're not starters they never progress.

The CPU doesn't practice like human controlled teams do.

So I don't get how the hell rookie backups on CPU teams are supposed to EVER progress.

*sigh*.... EA.

I wonder if they will ever get it right. I hope I'm missing something here because if I'm not CPU player progression is seriously stunted and/or non-existent for some rookie backups.

Why the hell wouldn't they program CPU teams to earn practice XP like Human teams?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #10
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
I'm talking about CPU player progression, not progression on Human teams. Specifically backup players on CPU rosters.

I just ran a test in year 3 of my franchise. I wrote down the ratings of a bunch of players on CPU teams including their OVR's. I wrote this down right before advancing from the off-season of year 2 into the pre season of year 3.

Not a SINGLE RATING went up or down on CPU players... Their OVRs changed I assume because their "production" rating reverted to zero and plus some CPU teams probably changed their schemes if they hired new coaches.

But as I said... Their actual ratings, AWR, short medium and deep accuracy, tackle and hit power... You name it... NOTHING progressed or regressed.

Now for starting players on CPU teams their ratings did increase because as starters they were earning XP from starting games. But the backups barely get any, and some 3rd stringers literally did not progress in a SINGLE rating through the whole regular and off season and didn't earn any XP since they're not starting/playing at all.

So there are some players who have "superstar" development potential on CPU teams, but since they're not starters they never progress.

The CPU doesn't practice like human controlled teams do.

So I don't get how the hell rookie backups on CPU teams are supposed to EVER progress.

*sigh*.... EA.

I wonder if they will ever get it right. I hope I'm missing something here because if I'm not CPU player progression is seriously stunted and/or non-existent for some rookie backups.

Why the hell wouldn't they program CPU teams to earn practice XP like Human teams?
No idea, but like some other posters have said, this issue is why I don't practice, to be "fair" to the CPU-ran teams.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp2081
No idea, but like some other posters have said, this issue is why I don't practice, to be "fair" to the CPU-ran teams.
Sure that would be "fair" to the CPU.

But then 3rd string rookies will literally never, ever, progress. Not on my team or CPU teams.

I like the idea of the XP system. But the implementation on EA's part is laughable. It seems poorly thought out. And worse, it was introduced last year. So they had a whole year to tweak it. IF, and that's a big IF, they get it right next year, that means it will have taken 3 years to get t right.

Didn't they notice backup rookies not progressing? Maybe they don't test franchises long term I dunno. But it's a bummer knowing a CPU team might draft "superstar" development rookies, but they will never progress if he is a backup.

It seems a drafted rookie MUST be a starter in order to have a chance to earn XP and thus progress. If not, they will ride the bench, and never progress.

I guess I don't blame EA... If I had a monopoly on a product I wouldn't care either.

Last edited by kpkpkp; 12-19-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
Rookie

stp2081's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Sure that would be "fair" to the CPU.

But then 3rd string rookies will literally never, ever, progress. Not on my team or CPU teams.

I like the idea of the XP system. But the implementation on EA's part is laughable. It seems poorly thought out. And worse, it was introduced last year. So they had a whole year to tweak it. IF, and that's a big IF, they get it right next year, that means it will have taken 3 years to get t right.

Didn't they notice backup rookies not progressing? Maybe they don't test franchises long term I dunno. But it's a bummer knowing a CPU team might draft "superstar" development rookies, but they will never progress if he is a backup.

It seems a drafted rookie MUST be a starter in order to have a chance to earn XP and thus progress. If not, they will ride the bench, and never progress.

I guess I don't blame EA... If I had a monopoly on a product I wouldn't care either.
I agree with everything you said. You can try to view it as "sim" in that they need "to see the field" and "there's no substitute for playing in a game", but yeah (1) very unrealistic to make it so CPU-team rookies and backups can't progress unless they play in a game, and (2) a super-easy fix for EA would have been to just give CPU teams random XP points to represent their simmed practices, but I think that goes to your last point about not caring.

Last edited by stp2081; 12-19-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Banned

kpkpkp's Arena

Talking Re: How is CPU player progression in your NG franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp2081
I agree with everything you said. You can try to view it as "sim" in that they need "to see the field" and "there's no substitute for playing in a game", but yeah (1) very unrealistic to make it so CPU-team rookies and backups can't progress unless they play in a game, and (2) a super-easy fix for EA would have been to just give CPU teams random XP points to represent their simmed practices, but I think that goes to your last point about not caring.
Yeah, it's a shame. CPU teams (especially rookies playing as backups) will be chronically stunted compared to Human teams since they do not get practice XP.

As you said... The fix is painfully simple... CPU teams should be given XP each week to simulate them "practicing."

I see a patch came out today for XboxOne/PS4... I would be elated if it addressed the fact that CPU teams don't get practice XP like Human teams do. I even Tweeted them asking if such a fix were included in this patch. But they never respond to my Tweets, they only seen to respond to compliments and not questions/criticisms.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 AM   #14
Pro

Step2001's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Interesting, so there must be some progression regardless if XP earned.

When did you see the progression kick in? During the transition to off season?
Players just get better with playing time.

One season in Madden, my defense was horrible. The CPU rolled, I could not stop them and started the season 0-3!
Then it seemed everything started to click, defense improved.

I won't "Buy/use xp" the players will have to get better based on what happens in the games.

This way works for me....

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »