Home

Arcade vs Sim - The 1 thing I'll never understand

This is a discussion on Arcade vs Sim - The 1 thing I'll never understand within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 AM   #1
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9
Arcade vs Sim - The 1 thing I'll never understand

When it comes to the balance between Arcade vs Simulation I've always understood that EA Sports has always made the games so that you get "real life" results from the length of an official online game.

The great thing about that is that you can sit down and play a shortened game and really feel like you got a true experience. However, there is a cost to this, and most of the time that means really awful defense and all the little things are left out, and this is true across all EA games.

What I don't understand, is after all this time why doesn't EA have Arcade mode, you know your standard Rookie, Pro, All-Pro, and All-Madden, and then have Simulation mode where the game is tuned to give the best model of how the game is actually played on Sunday?

As long as EA continues to try and ride the line in the media, but not in the game they're going to slowly lose customers. The Simulation guys are the ones that are going to stick around for a long time trying to get real football. The arcade guys tend to get bored a bit easier and move onto other games. The problem with the Simulation guys is once you lose them they're very hard to get back, and I think we're seeing that at present with the slow erosion of sales across all EA Sports Games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2014, 02:34 AM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Arcade vs Sim - The 1 thing I'll never understand

Rookie isn't arcade mode?
Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 4

been saying this for years. most other games have a hardcore mode for select portion of their fan base. I don't get why Madden doesn't take this same approach.

Playing online I don't see any of the game play changes that were promised expect for "true step".

You can still snap and run outside of the pocket on 90% of your plays. You can still drop back 10 yards. I wish EA would add something where the QB slips when he drops back more than 5 steps.

BUt mostly the game isn't organic and free flowing enough. During a play the game should feel like Fifa or 2k. Where the players are actually reacting to the movements of players around them. The players are so tethered to assignments that it's easy to master 5 plays and be unstopable as long as you know what route gets open vs which coverage. You can throw the same thing everytime.

Last edited by dghustla; 04-14-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:30 PM   #4
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Probably because the sliders are such a cluster****. Penalties would be one of the biggest things when it came to arcade vs. simulation and they don't work at all. Things like having lots of big hits, interceptions, fumbles, etc. would be in there as well but there's no big hit slider and, overall, the sliders themselves don't work properly enough. When there is hardly any difference between 3 and 100 in something like a Pass Accuracy slider, there's really not much you can do to give an Arcade vs. Simulation experience.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Probably because the sliders are such a cluster****. Penalties would be one of the biggest things when it came to arcade vs. simulation and they don't work at all. Things like having lots of big hits, interceptions, fumbles, etc. would be in there as well but there's no big hit slider and, overall, the sliders themselves don't work properly enough. When there is hardly any difference between 3 and 100 in something like a Pass Accuracy slider, there's really not much you can do to give an Arcade vs. Simulation experience.
Exactly. I remember playing nba live on much older systems and moving the foul slider to 0. You could straight up knock someone over and have nothing called.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
Exactly. I remember playing nba live on much older systems and moving the foul slider to 0. You could straight up knock someone over and have nothing called.
Lol I remember that, I used to love doing that when I was a kid.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
Isn't that the point? At 0 it should mean it never happens
Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Spot on, the Madden sliders and penalty settings are extremely flawed.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »