Home

Overpowered Wind?

This is a discussion on Overpowered Wind? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2014, 02:15 AM   #1
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1
Overpowered Wind?

I have played probably 7 games so far and the way the wind affects punt distance is ridiculous.

In a game I played vs the Jets while testing my sliders, P Ryan Quigley booted one--maybe farther than humanly possible, too: stats show a 75 yard touchback from his own 25... it made its landing 5 yards into the endzone. Wind was 13mph. I stuggled coffin cornering throughout the game because--even from the 50--the highest punt trajectory would put it 5 yards into the endzone when the wind was behind me and the arc wouldn't even show up on the field before I moved it. Kicking into the wind, the Jets missed a 38 yarder and a 40 yarder and most of their punts went less than 35 yards. I struggled to kick it over 30 into the wind and kickoffs landed at the 10-15 yard line.

Is anyone else experiencing crazy wind effects like this? This is the 3rd game I've noticed it in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2014, 02:21 AM   #2
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Overpowered Wind?

I don't really know if it's overpowered, but I do know it's something you definitely NOW have to take into account with all kicks, especially if the cross-wind is particularly strong.

I like the change, because in the past, I believe wind has been a non-factor for a while now. It has been pretty much non-existent, if any affect whatsoever, especially cross-wind.

I just wished the kicking arc was stay permanently on for All-Pro level, since it is able to be toggled on or off. Then maybe we wouldn't always have to pin the other team back by kicking it out of bounds most times, but instead with it on, getting a good idea of how far in front of the endzone to drop it, for it to bounce or roll within the 10 to 5 yard lines. More coffin kicks, in general. I hate seeing it bounce 20 or 30 yards from the 10 or 15 into the endzone/crowd.

Last edited by Shon 23; 09-02-2014 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:25 AM   #3
Zac
World-Class Diver

Zac's Arena

I've noticed every game I've played, there is 12mph wind going one way down the field. I've had one where it was a cross wind. But there is always strong wind. I've yet to play a single game that didn't have strong wind. So one quarter you keep super long kicks, and the next you kick nerfed ones because you are going into it.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:29 AM   #4
Pro

Shon 23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO
I've noticed every game I've played, there is 12mph wind going one way down the field. I've had one where it was a cross wind. But there is always strong wind. I've yet to play a single game that didn't have strong wind. So one quarter you keep super long kicks, and the next you kick nerfed ones because you are going into it.
I've had some 3-4 mph winds, but can't recall seeing 12+ winds yet. I believe it will an interesting game when I do get to play in winds like that, especially if it's a defensive battle and FGs matter.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
Zac
World-Class Diver

Zac's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheQuinn94
I've had some 3-4 mph winds, but can't recall seeing 12+ winds yet. I believe it will an interesting game when I do get to play in winds like that, especially if it's a defensive battle and FGs matter.
I also think my CFM is bugged to crap. I'm having so many odd things happen. Not sure what the deal is. Like I have stat overlays with negative numbers, or zero stats from the week before. Players with negative cap space hit. Just whole mess of odd things. So the wind is probably one of them.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheQuinn94
I don't really know if it's overpowered, but I do know it's something you definitely NOW have to take into account with all kicks, especially if the cross-wind is particularly strong.

I like the change, because in the past, I believe wind has been a non-factor for a while now. It has been pretty much non-existent, if any affect whatsoever, especially cross-wind.

I just wished the kicking arc was stay permanently on for All-Pro level, since it is able to be toggled on or off. Then maybe we wouldn't always have to pin the other team back by kicking it out of bounds most times, but instead with it on, getting a good idea of how far in front of the endzone to drop it, for it to bounce or roll within the 10 to 5 yard lines. More coffin kicks, in general. I hate seeing it bounce 20 or 30 yards from the 10 or 15 into the endzone/crowd.
I hate that so much. With these winds I've been seeing, I could be kicking it to the 20 or 60-70 yards in the air, out of bounds and into the stands. What sucks is when the aiming spot is still in the end zone at the highest trajectory and it fades before you can move it for a coffin corner. I hit one perfectly the hit outside the numbers at the 8 and took a hard turn toward the end zone for a touchback.

The wind behind you (don't laugh) is what really bugs me. I hate going 3-and-out with the ball on the 20, only to see that my punter could actually coffin corner it inside the 10 anyway. Yes, it's that bad for me with the winds--the 'bullseye' shows a potential 75-yard punt and still goes up to 60 when I aim as high as possible. Wind should add 5 yards, not 25.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
MVP

mjavon's Arena

It's definitely overpowered. I've had 8mph winds have a 15-20 yard impact on kickoffs. The CPU doesn't seem to ever account for wind either, every time they punt with the wind it sails way out of the end zone. One game, I had a cross-wind and the CPU had every kickoff go out of bounds because it's not smart enough to adjust.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #8
Pro

YeOldTonk's Arena

OVR: 6
Location: Foothills of the Cascade Mountains in the great PacNW

I noticed a game or two where I had no kick or punt return yardage because the CPU team would boot it out of the end zone.

There have been a few times where they have kicked it out of bounds right around the 20 yard marker.

At least, from what I can tell, the wind meter is not backwards like it has been the past umpteen years of this game. Progress?

This thing called Twitter I do sometimes

What's your thoughts? It's a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »