Home

Nantz and Simms

This is a discussion on Nantz and Simms within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 AM   #9
I bent my Wookiee!

alifeincomplete's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Nantz and Simms

Jon Gruden in a game would require me to turn commentary off. He's easily one of the most obnoxious people in broadcasting, no matter how knowledgable he is about the intricacies of the sport. He's atrocious on the air.

I guess I'm in the minority - I dig Sims and Nantz. I just wish they weren't so repetitive. A big part of the problem too that EA just doesn't seem to get is that so much of their new dialogue just focuses on the previous real life season. That's fine, but I don't want to hear about 2013 when it's 2017 in my CFM. I wish it could get smarter in CFM. If I win two more rings with New England, I don't want to hear that Brady is a 3x Super Bowl champion. That, and the situational commentary is often either out of place or factually incorrect for what is happening on the field.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #10
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres32
Jim Nantz and Phil Simms are dull. Mike Tirico and Jon Gruden would be tight.
I love Gruden in real life but in the game he would be no better than Simms or Collinsworth. The problem is those guys don't know how to shutup and their comments take too long in a video game format. In an actual game it works out well but in the video game it takes 2-3 plays for them to say one thing. What they need is two guys who translate well to a video game. Michaels and Madden were really the last two good ones they had. Michaels had solid play by play and Madden would chime in with simple sentences and action words.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 AM   #11
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alifeincomplete
Jon Gruden in a game would require me to turn commentary off. He's easily one of the most obnoxious people in broadcasting, no matter how knowledgable he is about the intricacies of the sport. He's atrocious on the air.

I guess I'm in the minority - I dig Sims and Nantz. I just wish they weren't so repetitive. A big part of the problem too that EA just doesn't seem to get is that so much of their new dialogue just focuses on the previous real life season. That's fine, but I don't want to hear about 2013 when it's 2017 in my CFM. I wish it could get smarter in CFM. If I win two more rings with New England, I don't want to hear that Brady is a 3x Super Bowl champion. That, and the situational commentary is often either out of place or factually incorrect for what is happening on the field.
This. They need dynamic commentary. After winning the SB the last thing I want to hear is the "Seahawks are defending champions" even though that was 5 seasons ago. I could 'tolerate' Simms/Nantz if they had that but right now it just kills the immersion. I end up muting it after the first season and listening to music which I don't want to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Pro

kc10785's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzelle
I don't have a problem with the way they call the game its how repetitive it is.
I understand that no matter how much commentary they record it will become repetitive but is it that hard to record 4-5 version of a line, even if it's just delivered differently or a few words changed around. Every situation should have a variety of lines and the more often that situation could happen the more lines should be recorded.
Just go through there old game's and take notes of what they call in certain situations,sure it wouldn't take more than 2-3 games to come up with more variety than whats in the game.

Don't know how many times i have heard about how teams don't power run anymore in the one drive or how many truly memorable games i have had.

edit:
"Every time I Simms decides to tell me I attacked cover 2 wrong when the defense was actually cover 4 I cringe."

Or when your HB has been subbed but they say he is lining up in the back field when its the 2nd string.
This is it....you can have anybody recording commentary if they don't have enough lines recorded and them in the studio recording together it's going to get stale fast

Sent From The Computer Lab at Professors X School of The Gifted
"For me, winning isn't something that happens suddenly on the field when the whistle blows and the crowds roar. Winning is something that builds physically and mentally every day that you train and every night that you dream." -Emmitt Smith
Old 09-04-2014, 07:56 AM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 1

It'd be interesting to do a study on how many lines Nantz and Simms actually say during a year of real broadcasts versus the average amount of lines in a season on Madden. It's probably a 30:1 ratio or more, due to 15 minute quarters (3 hour long games), actualy reaction to real plays, and CBS advertising.

I just wish they could talk more about specific players, instead of "he", "they", "it". Too many pronouns. It's been that way for years on Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »