Home

CPU accepted a penalty that gave me the ball back

This is a discussion on CPU accepted a penalty that gave me the ball back within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: CPU accepted a penalty that gave me the ball back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aolian_Am
I don't think you guys are getting me, you literally cannot accept/decline an illegal forward pass. In madden, in the NFL, in flagfootball, can't do it. In madden though, when the cpu or the human does it, the little grey box will pop up, but there is no option to choose. Illegal touching is the same way, as well as false start.
Wrong. Any penalty can be declined - high school, NCAA, NFL, any penalty can be declined. It says so right in the rulebook. Read it yourself. In the NCAA rules, it is 10-1-1-b.

Other than the example from the game in the OP, I'll give you at least one more. Say Team A has the ball, 4th and long on their opponent's 35. Team A has no confidence that their kicker can make the 52-yard field goal, so they line up to punt. They attempt to take a delay of game penalty to give their punter more room. Team B coach declines the penalty. OK, so Team A tries to get those yards anyway by having someone false start on purpose. Team B head coach tells the officials he wants to decline the penalty. BY RULE, Team B can decline the false start.

Last edited by utahman19; 10-20-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:36 PM   #10

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
Wrong. Any penalty can be declined - high school, NCAA, NFL, any penalty can be declined. It says so right in the rulebook. Read it yourself. In the NCAA rules, it is 10-1-1-b.
You can decline the illegal forward pass if you want but it would be dumb because anything that happened after he crossed the line is nullified....
Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 AM   #11
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

As Texas proved, you can even choose to give the opponent the ball at the beginning of each half...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2014, 03:54 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You can decline the illegal forward pass if you want but it would be dumb because anything that happened after he crossed the line is nullified....
No, that is not the way it works, there are no live-ball penalties that cause the ball to be dead. For any live-ball foul (which any illegal forward pass is) committed by Team A, Team B has the option to accept the penalty OR decline the penalty and accept the result of the play.

Granted, in most cases it is best to accept the penalty, but there are circumstances where Team B would prefer to decline the penalty and accept the result of the play.

I really wish more "fans" would take advantage of the resources available and read the rulebook for themselves. The NCAA rulebook is free to download.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM   #13
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahman19
No, that is not the way it works, there are no live-ball penalties that cause the ball to be dead. For any live-ball foul (which any illegal forward pass is) committed by Team A, Team B has the option to accept the penalty OR decline the penalty and accept the result of the play.

Granted, in most cases it is best to accept the penalty, but there are circumstances where Team B would prefer to decline the penalty and accept the result of the play.

I really wish more "fans" would take advantage of the resources available and read the rulebook for themselves. The NCAA rulebook is free to download.
This happened to me last night, and clarifies your point:

CPU team committed an illegal forward pass penalty, but on the pass I intercepted the ball and ran it back for a TD. I declined the the penalty to keep the TD (the result of the play).
Old 11-06-2014, 06:24 AM   #14
Air Raid

Dr Death's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
I had something similar to this happen today. I was playing the falcons and they where kicking a FG on 4 and 3 at there 27 yard line they made the FG and I got called for RTK and the CPU instead of taking the penalty and seeing if they could turn the drive into a touchdown instead of a FG they just decleind the penalty and took the FG instead.
Okay, let me get this straight... the Falcons were at their 27, which means they were 73 yards from your end zone, and yet they line up for a FG that would be 90 yards... the 10 yards that the goal post is back from the goal line plus the 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage that a team places their holder...

And you're telling us the Falcons made a 90-yard FG??? Or were they at your 27, making a 44-yard FG???

Last edited by Dr Death; 11-06-2014 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
Pro

OVR: 6

Sad to see this is happening on next gen as well. I am still on old gen, and it seems the CPU is incapable of taking the result of the play as an alternative to accepting the penalty.

I had OPI called on my team and the CPU intercepted the ball on the play. They took the penalty and lost a posession opportunity.

There was another scenario where I had a penalty on my defense and the CPU gained 9 yards on a run. They took the penalty for a second and five versus declining it for a second and one.

Add it to the ever growing list of issues.....
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »