Home

Advice on the deep pass?

This is a discussion on Advice on the deep pass? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:59 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Advice on the deep pass?

I'm having trouble throwing deep passes. It seems that the defender always is in front in a good position and deflects the pass. I've tried throwing it with moving the stick left or right some but can't seem to get it right. Any tips/advice? i'm on the ps4 fyi
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2014, 12:07 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Advice on the deep pass?

make sure u have a receiver with good RELEASE & SPEED if the defense is playing press up on your WR then send him on a fly and when u throw it LOB it and hold forward to make it deep..
I usually user catch it seems to help... but the biggest thing is just watch the interaction make sure u have the DB beat by a step or two and the safety out of the way.

pump fakes right away will usually lead the safety away or cause the DB to jump and give u break away...

also, dont try to call several deep plays, the cpu will adjust to that, use a good mix of runs to throw them off balance...
cheers,
hope it helps a bit
Old 10-31-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 1

I could not throw the deep ball in my 1st two years as the Raiders QB. but in the 3rd year they brought in Deshawn Jackson(which is real life I cannot stand) but in the game he is actually a deep threat. It depends on the coverage and I still get picked off but I think this season I have had 4 40+ TD passes where in the first two season I had ZERO.

So like the above guy said and make sure you watch your coverage. Watch what the safeties are doing
Old 10-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
Rookie

great advice fellas, thank you
Old 10-31-2014, 11:15 AM   #5
Rookie

carlito1171's Arena

Don't throw the deep ball against cover 2 unless you're running 4 verticals with 4WR's or 3WRS/1TE. .

Try to utilize 1v1 matchups and lead the WR with the right stick if they have a step or 2. Try it against cover 1. It's effective that way esp if you get 2/3 wrs on streaks. The one high safety has to pick one of them and you could get some 1v1 matchups that way. Jump balls don't really work that well this year unless it's a fade route in the EZ.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Rookie

I came here to post this same thread. Whenever I try to throw a deep pass (and I don't do it that often), it gets intercepted because the receiver simply runs behind the defender and doesn't even attempt to go for the ball. I'll try to watch the coverage more, but if I do that, I'm always afraid I'm going to get sacked because I can't see the rush at all.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuc14
I came here to post this same thread. Whenever I try to throw a deep pass (and I don't do it that often), it gets intercepted because the receiver simply runs behind the defender and doesn't even attempt to go for the ball.
Yes, deep passes/WR fighting for balls is pretty much broken in this game. I recommend switching onto the receiver and trying to manually catch deep passes that are contested. The only way I let the CPU handle it is if it looks like the WR will be wide open
Old 11-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #8
MVP

prey2god's Arena

What I typically do is I watch for the bump and run coverage. If it's man coverage, i'll call that cut-streak (Triangle, select player then right stick up). If it's bump and run, i'll call a simple streak (Triangle, select player then left stick up). Watch for the safety. If it stays at the same position playing zone, you may want to call a slant instead on either man or bump and run. But if the safety comes in, go with those and let it fly as soon as he releases. Press up the field and lob it by tapping the button. Get control of your receiver and hold triangle moments before it reaches him and he'll go up for a rocket catch, but also angle the receiver so he's in good position for that catch as well.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »