Home

Lessons I learned from Nick Saban

This is a discussion on Lessons I learned from Nick Saban within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2015, 05:49 PM   #25
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Lessons I learned from Nick Saban

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUEagle
This is a pretty solid post. I don't agree with every single conclusion (IMO you can absolutely play split safety coverages vs trips and be sound, whether video game or real life), but these are principles I've applied myself whenever I've played this game (not since Madden 12).

It also goes back to something I've been preaching for years: defenses need more coverage options along with the ability for users to automatically set adjustments by gameplan so you don't have to manually hot route everything. For instance, I want to be able to set up a default way for my players to align/play 2X2, 3X1, 3X2, and others (like two back sets) for every coverage I call. For trips, I may want to lock the backside corner in man automatically anytime I play Cover 6, for instance. Or the opposite if I'm playing someone I know doesn't throw to #1 strong in trips: lock that dude up in man and play quarters everywhere else, etc.
This all day. Year after year, I keep hoping for TRUE innovation, like the clipboard feature in 2K where you can make adjustments and have them stick, or set your gameplan before the game like, crash the boards, feed the post, match this defender to this opposing player, etc.

I hate that when it comes to "scheme" in Madden, it comes down to mashing buttons and fighting to make it through 6-7 adjustments before the snap, down after down.

Quote:
I know I'm just pissing in the wind at this point, but it's amazing that it's 2015 and zone defenders still drop to spots and cover air. The thing is, it really wouldn't be that difficult to program pattern reading IMO: every defender in a specific coverage would have a decision tree based on receiver release that would dictate how well they play and what they should do. Ultimately, that's the way to ensure that guys who aren't athletic freaks in real life that are awesome (like Luke Keuchly) play better in Madden than some random dude with 90 speed.
They actually have injected pattern reading principles into the zone coverages. I still don't see those bajillion calculations per second they promised, but zones get better every year. Problem there's still too much that can be exploited by defenders dropping blindly and not observing what's in front of them. Quarters is just one coverage that comes to mind that definitely needs work, especially when it comes to the bracketing the safety is supposed to do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy184
tl;dr

10 char
Lmao that was the first thing I thought of when I saw this.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #27
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiX
Lmao that was the first thing I thought of when I saw this.
Yeah, banned was the first thing I read when I saw your post.

Kevin - Awesome post. This is what OS is about.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 04-25-2015, 09:02 AM   #28
Rookie

Really good post. Much appreciated post.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

I use to spend a lot of time in the Madden and NCAA boards making these kinds of posts. Now I might not come in here for 3 months or more. Filled with more crap than useful posts such as this.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #30
Just started!

Not sure if you were saying thank you or had a question, but if you have questions please ask
Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 PM   #31
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy184
tl;dr

10 char
Apparently the Jets players think the same about their playbook...

Sorry, couldn't resist.......Now back on topic..More of these types of topics is what I would really like to see on OS...

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 05-04-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #32
Rookie

PSUEagle's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Apparently the Jets players think the same about their playbook...

Sorry, couldn't resist.......Now back on topic..More of these types of topics is what I would really like to see on OS...
I wouldn't mind making posts like this about offense/defense (and special teams if they weren't worthless) if they were in a spot where I knew they would be read/appreciated.

Is there a separate section for X&O's? Basically a spot for people that want to learn more about the game to have an easily accessible hub they can ask/answer questions. Would only help people understand real football better, IMO.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »