Home

Best WR for Vertical Pass: Speed or Red Zone?

This is a discussion on Best WR for Vertical Pass: Speed or Red Zone? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
Best WR for Vertical Pass: Speed or Red Zone?

I'm trying to build a vertical passing attack, but I'm not sure which type of WR I should look for. I've read conflicting things in regards to Speed vs. Red Zone WRs. Lately, I've read that you should acquire speedy WRs to burn corners deep. However, in the past, I've read the opposite...that WRs who have the size and jumping ability to go up and grab the deep ball are better. The M15 guide contradicts itself, too.

So, which type of offense are Speed and Red Zone WRs better suited for? Thanks in advance for any help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Best WR for Vertical Pass: Speed or Red Zone?

Who says you have to choose? A 6'4 WR with 94+ speed.

If you did have to choose, I think you can have success with either one. But I lean towards Red Zone threat as they can do multiple things. A speed WR is not much help in the red zone, but a red zone WR can excel in the deep game.

Something to consider -- while not as big as in the past, a WR with a high release rating is important in the vertical game. If you read single safety with a CB pressing that is a good deep ball opportunity if your WR beats the jam. Even if he does not have elite speed or a big height advantage.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 PM   #3
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

"If they're even, he's leavin"

I love to run a vertical passing attack whenever possible in the Madden series...

To me, the game has always valued speed...esp. in this instance...

If you get the right matchup and have enough time in the pocket, you can lob it up and BOOM...
Old 01-06-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

As long as you have competent players, I've found that scheme matters more than the players themselves. Against zones, have an underneath route to keep pressure off the deep route and force the safety to work alone. Work the seams of the zones. And establish the run and use play-action. Trust me, it helps a lot.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Rookie

noarmsduck's Arena

OVR: 0

I always prefer receivers with high Catch and CIT ratings to those with high speed. Speed is nice but I'll take the guy who won't drop a catch and blow a first down/big play any day.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »