Home

Not understanding Franchise Tag

This is a discussion on Not understanding Franchise Tag within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1
Not understanding Franchise Tag

I mean I think I understand the concept. Teams that only want to keep a player around for 1 more year without signing them to a longer term deal will use the Franchise Tag.

Right?

The issue I have is, why? Normally franchise tagging a player takes a big chunk out of your cap room that you need to sign your players in the offseason whether it's resigning players that are on your current roster, signing FA's or even your top draft picks.

So can explain to me why I would even want to franchise tag a player where it costs a lot to do it? Why not just sign that player to a 2-3 year shorter term deal and save some money?

Maybe I'm not understanding the significance right. Can someone help?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #2
Pro

baller7345's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Not understanding Franchise Tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
I mean I think I understand the concept. Teams that only want to keep a player around for 1 more year without signing them to a longer term deal will use the Franchise Tag.

Right?

The issue I have is, why? Normally franchise tagging a player takes a big chunk out of your cap room that you need to sign your players in the offseason whether it's resigning players that are on your current roster, signing FA's or even your top draft picks.

So can explain to me why I would even want to franchise tag a player where it costs a lot to do it? Why not just sign that player to a 2-3 year shorter term deal and save some money?

Maybe I'm not understanding the significance right. Can someone help?
One aspect is that it gives teams more time to work out a long term deal with said player. As long as it is an exclusive tag they can't negotiate with other teams and they have until July 15th to negotiate a new deal. Also if you use a non exclusive tag on a player you do let him negotiate with a new team but if he signs with a new team then you get two first round draft picks.

Finally, if the tagged player doesn't sign a long term deal or find a new team then the team that tagged him doesn't lose him to the market. They get to keep him for another year, even if it is a a fairly steep price. If the player is a top player at his position it also may be cheaper in the short run.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 8

I'm far from an expert on this but, IRL, teams will apply the tag with the hope of continuing negotiations over the course of the year. Players don't typically like it because it keeps them from free agency and a potentially big contract. Plus, if they have a down year or are injured, it can take away that option altogether down the road. The tag itself essentially forces a 1-year contract but it doesn't mean that the player is automatically gone afterward.

In the game world, it doesn't make as much sense but the concept is generally the same. Franchise a player (at a big cost, of course) and see if you can get a longer term deal worked out. Or you can use it to get one more decent year out of a good but aging player without having to commit to a longer term deal. The cost aspect is why you typically see it for the higher-end players that are about to leave for free agency. I really don't use it myself but I guess you could hang onto a player that had a breakout contract year just in case they do it again. If not, you're out that money for the year but at least you're not stuck in a long-term contract that is based on a single good season. If they repeat, you can always sign a longer deal, too.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Great explanations guys, both of you. I really appreciate it!
Old 03-03-2015, 12:07 PM   #5
Just started!

OVR: 0

The tag does have some occasional relevance in Madden. Not sure how accurate it is to the NFL though. I think a player can be tagged two times in reality, but not sure for Madden. The nfl rules that the tag amount be the average of the top five salaries at the players position. So, the tag amount will vary for each position. Rbs & safeties are usually the cheapest to tag. Also, as mentioned above, the non exclusive tag or"transition tag" is usually about a million dollars less than the exclusive tag, but other teams can still try to sign the player. Compensation will be given as mentioned above if the player gets a bigger contact, & the team losing the player will be off the hook for the tag money they offered.That's my basic understanding of it. For Madden I only use it if I don't have the funds available to pay out the bonus money for a long deal, & I feel like I can win in the next year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #6
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

And on another note, I wonder how far we are away from seeing the Non-Exclusive, and Transitional-Tag in Madden? Man, just thinking of the level of strategy that would add to managing your franchise, as well as layer more personality into the players.

I remember back in the day in franchise when players would hold out during training camp to force your hand.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Great for keeping TEs and Gs around. Also a good tool if you want to sign and a trade a guy.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #8
MVP

NFCastle's Arena

OVR: 17

I didn't read through previous responses but usually the tag is applied when a team and a star player can't agree to terms on a deal

Rather than letting them walk and go to another team, you pay them a high salary for one year, usually with hopes to get a contract done.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »