Home

So apparently I can't play defense. Like... at all

This is a discussion on So apparently I can't play defense. Like... at all within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: So apparently I can't play defense. Like... at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
^ I agree. One of my leaguemates who tries to help me improve my game, and watches my twitch feeds and such says that he thinks I should control the d-line, and not the LB's or S's. But I feel I'm better usering them than not. Yes, sometimes I do pull a defender out of position, and I give up a big play that the CPU controlled defender probably woulda stopped. But I also make plays and get turnovers that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten. So like I said, I user a little bit of it all, depending on my play selection, their formations, what I'm anticipating, etc. Sometimes on an all out blitz, I'll control a d-lineman to get the max pass rush from them. If I'm thinking pass, I'll control an LB or S based on what assignment I feel I need better control over. It just depends.

This is a lot, and I'm not expecting anyone to sit through hours of my game film, but I do export my twitch feeds to YouTube. Here's some links to some of the games during my recent skid. Maybe someone can take a look, see some of my habits and some of my playstyle, and get a better idea of my weaknesses.

Week 14 - Loss to Jaguars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKrKxk1l27Q

Week 13 - Loss to Redskins: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhWalMTk6C4

Week 12 - Loss to Rams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzTIKM8Pxdk

I also have losses in weeks 15 and 17 as well, but I didn't broadcast those games.
After watching your vids id suggest

- STOP usering the safety

- run less exotic formations and blitzes

- lower your amount of man coverage significantly (unless u can get the coverage slider upped to 85-90

-Always look for the inside receiver and te on passing plays on slants, posts and flags respectively.

-DISGUISE your coverage. You're currently an open book.

-Stop usering a safety.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:31 AM   #10
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

I would User the MLB...
Old 06-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #11
Rookie

Are the coverages which you are setting up is based onindividual coverage audibles?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2015, 03:09 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
After watching your vids id suggest

- STOP usering the safety

- run less exotic formations and blitzes

- lower your amount of man coverage significantly (unless u can get the coverage slider upped to 85-90

-Always look for the inside receiver and te on passing plays on slants, posts and flags respectively.

-DISGUISE your coverage. You're currently an open book.

-Stop usering a safety.
Good advice that I will look into, I do have some questions for clarification or expanding your thoughts:

-You say run less man coverage. Even though my corners are far better in man than they are in zone? This is why I have been running as much man as I do, because ratings wise they are better at man than zone.

-What are some good tips you have on disguising my coverages? I feel that is one area I struggle in.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise408
Good advice that I will look into, I do have some questions for clarification or expanding your thoughts:

-You say run less man coverage. Even though my corners are far better in man than they are in zone? This is why I have been running as much man as I do, because ratings wise they are better at man than zone.

-What are some good tips you have on disguising my coverages? I feel that is one area I struggle in.
In madden 15 with the coverage on 50, man defense is a joke. Great defensive backs get lost, not just beat, lost on a number of routes. If i run man, theres either two high with a hook zone in the middle or one high with two zones (hook hook or hook buzz flat). Also, the far left corner back will randomly go brain dead in man coverage (shuffle wrong, hesitate for no reason). Considering you run it so much you may have already seen this happen and you gave up a big play. And if you don't disguise your coverage to a degree, man coverage becomes a bad joke.

By disguising your coverage i mean, show blitz and/ or man align when you may be dropping back in zone. Bluff blitz middle linebackers. Use defensive plays with disguised shells like, "show four cover 2".

Any experienced Madden player has their man beaters and their zone beaters. As of right now a player can easily look at your defense and say "he's in zone let me audible to this play and these are my reads". Disguising causes hesitation and confusion, which leads to sacks and picks.

Side note: qb contain is your friend...in any situation.

Last edited by 2_headedmonster; 06-03-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:39 AM   #14
MVP

Trent Booty's Arena

I too have always struggled on D.

I usually user the DL, the DE to be exact.

Most of the time the compute lets them get open and the QB goes like 25/30 every game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »