Home

Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #73
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Madden NFL 16: Penalties Are Finally Going to Be a Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Looking at the NFL stats it's 6.6 a game.
Did sound low but guess not.
Holy cow, that link I just provided said 12-13.

In my best Lombardi impersonation, what the hell is going on out there?
Old 06-16-2015, 01:25 AM   #74
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Trust me, I thought it was too.

Oops, you are right, I bet Duece meant per team per game.

How many penalties are called in an average NFL game?

In an average NFL football game, the officials will call around 12-13 total penalties per game. During the 2013 NFL season, the average game say 12.25 penalties called.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/articl...n-average.aspx

Sorry folks.
From what I see it's 6.6 combined.. Unless I'm looking wrong

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 06-16-2015, 01:27 AM   #75
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Sounds low because of the variance, Seattle averaging 9.5/game, Miami just 2.

Get the Seahawks v Denver though and their averages combined are 17.5 in a game.

via figures at http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?&year=2014

2014 saw 300 more penalties than 2013 also. (3526 vs 3245) so figures creeped up a touch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2015, 01:29 AM   #76
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Madden NFL 16 Blog - Penalties and AI Improvements

Quote:
I get that, but I think it's appropriate, at least on my end from all the pounding I've done over the years, to let out a little sigh of relief.

A bigger sigh if they work as advertised.
I get that, and I'm not condemning anyone for being happy, I'm just not out here waving the victory flags yet, lol. For me it's not "yayy they have penalties!!" It's "It's about damn time, now do they actually work, and what else you got?" LOL. I mean it's the third game on next gen, and we went a whole generation without this stuff, I'm just not jumping for joy.

Now if holding was called because they have some cloth physics where you could see jerseys being pulled, then I'd be like whoa, that's some next ****.

I do like that they have a penalty attribute though, I think that's a pretty cool way to implement the tendency.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 06-16-2015, 01:30 AM   #77
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Holy cow, that link I just provided said 12-13.

In my best Lombardi impersonation, what the hell is going on out there?
http://www.nflpenalties.com/

Bottom is per game.
The total all the way to the left is total for that teams games called against them + against opponent.

EDIT: Just noticed offsetting and declined penalties NOT included in total.. so probably closer to 12..
Either way what we've gotten this year IF they work.. I'm happy about.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

Last edited by Skyboxer; 06-16-2015 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:35 AM   #78
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Offsetting penalties happen ~5 times per year per team, as of 2014. That's with the uptick in certain penalties being called, it was less than 1 per team in 2013.

Diminish the system, sure, I guess. But they won't be missed for the most part.
I don't get it though, what does that have to do with what could happen in Madden, in reference to what I posted? To my first point about Users exploiting the system, absolutely nothing because they obviously aren't beholden to NFL averages and just as irrelevant to my other point with regard to the vs CPU example. So your attempted point about they won't be missed because of real NFL frequency is moot.

Also this witchhunt for agendas, outside of Modding, gets old and is really immature, imo, I've clearly expressed why this stuff is a valid issue and frankly, these things should be considered when implementing a penalty system. No different than how with the current injury system there can't be multiple simultaneous injuries but according to some if they add way more new injuries to the existing flawed injury system, pointing out the existing flaw, is an agenda. Also the entire mention of this stuff being implemented over a decade ago is to demonstrate how reasonable the expectation is, not to pine for the return of that game.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:48 AM   #79
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I don't get it though, what does that have to do with what could happen in Madden, in reference to what I posted? To my first point about Users exploiting the system, absolutely nothing because they obviously aren't beholden to NFL averages and just as irrelevant to my other point with regard to the vs CPU example. So your attempted point about they won't be missed because of real NFL frequency is moot.

Also this witchhunt for agendas, outside of Modding, gets old and is really immature, imo, I've clearly expressed why this stuff is a valid issue and frankly, these things should be considered when implementing a penalty system. No different than how with the current injury system there can't be multiple simultaneous injuries but according to some if they add way more new injuries to the existing flawed injury system, pointing out the existing flaw, is an agenda. Also the entire mention of this stuff being implemented over a decade ago is to demonstrate how reasonable the expectation is, not to pine for the return of that game.
To further the bolded, Roughing the Passer is in Madden, yet the league average for the YEAR per team in 2014 was 3.09. I guess they should remove that penalty since it hardly happens in the NFL? The point is not how often it happens, it is that it should be called when it DOES happen. That is part of what adds to immersive games. I could play 100 games of madden and never see ineligible man down field called, but if I play that 101st game and I were to see it happen when it is supposed to happen - that is pretty awesome that it has it in there when it was applicable. Illegal touching is another penalty in Madden that rarely happens in the real NFL. I thought it was pretty awesome when I saw a TD get reversed due to illegal touching being called for the first time in Madden. It was a very nice detail that is part of the real NFL and should be included in the game.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:48 AM   #80

jvalverde88's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
I will give them props if they work as advertised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
Exactly. They obviously don't have a great track record of things working as advertised, so I'm hoping to see a higher percentage of penalties in the E3 videos - moreso to prove that they're in and work in the right situations, and then we can hopefully adjust to realistic with sliders from there.
Yeah, I read that the default penalty sliders are based on league average penalty calls, which I find hard to believe. I'm just taking a wait and see approach with this.

Quote:
Never let fear determine who you are. Never let where you came from determine where you are going.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »