Home

Simmed Stats?

This is a discussion on Simmed Stats? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44
Re: Simmed Stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Agreed. What's the point of a deep franchise if the stats are always way off? It boggles my mind that they don't get serious about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you consider "way off"? Simmed stats have always had their issues (Not enough Passing TDs, Way too many interceptions, Too many sacks). But not enough where I thought it was a disaster. Also didnt they fix many of the issues with a patch last year?
Old 08-06-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
What do you consider "way off"? Simmed stats have always had their issues (Not enough Passing TDs, Way too many interceptions, Too many sacks). But not enough where I thought it was a disaster. Also didnt they fix many of the issues with a patch last year?
Last year's post patch sim stats were MUCH better than they had been previously since the move to PS3 and beyond...

But like many things, they were implemented much better in the PS2 era...

Because sim stats influence things like progression / regression, that then trigger roster moves by the AI, it would be nice to have them as realistic as possible...

It's not horrible, but pretty much the same categories with flawed stats are at issue year after year...

Lastly, in addition to the individual stats, the team stats are also lacking, due to run versus pass attempt splits being off, etc...
Old 08-06-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Last year's patch started causing 20-30 receivers a year to catch 100+ passes (had several seasons where 3 receivers from one team had 100+ catches). The patch basically eliminated sacks completely in sim. Whereas it used to be too high, the league leaders every year from the year 2017+ in my franchise maxed out at 8-10 sacks a year post-patch. There were guys in the top 10 with 2 or 3 sacks sometimes. That's what I would call "way off." Punting averages were atrocious because the regression system killed all the punters in the league. Almost every year about 75% of the league had a #2 runningback score 10-20 touchdowns as a backup while the game never accounted for 2 TE setups in sim hardly at all; pro-style singleback packages with a highly ranked #2 TE would still never see more than 5-10 catches a year.

Last edited by EricFreakingBerry; 08-06-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

I guess it's not "terrible", but it just seems like it has not really been given that much love in a long time. Things like 2 Back systems, 2 TE systems, RBBC back fields, 3 WR heavy Offense, have just been ignored in terms of sim stats at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #13
MVP

One of the issues with sim stats also stems from the playcalling percentages not working. If you start a CCM and do a 32 control (coach or owner mode) and set all of the playbooks and playcalling percentages, one would think those percentages would be used to determine simmed stats. That assumption would be wrong however. I have tested this multiple times and the stats are always off from the playcalling I set up.
This is not necessarily a big deal if using current rosters, but I like to create old rosters and use them in CCM. While it would seem that I should be able to tell the game to have a team run 65% of the time, it will still have them pass 65-70% of the time. Further, as mentioned above, 2back systems and 2 TE systems are simply ignored.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #14
Rookie

playajay98's Arena

I think most of you guys are talking about sim stats for entire games. Those are bad but trying to use super sim is a joke. Playing a cfm as a player and having to sim the offense or defensive drives makes the mode unplayable. No late game play calling or clock management by your team or opponent for years. Nothing SUPER about that.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #15
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Hopefully they have improved them
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2015, 12:40 AM   #16
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

What really frustrates me is that Tiburon really nailed this in the last few PS2/Xbox Maddens, complete with "coaching philosophy" and "positional importance" sliders. We could physically adjust the offenses and defenses we actually wanted to run and it showed up brilliantly while simulating.

Granted, these were small features the majority of people who played the old Franchise mode didn't even use, but these "fringe" features made for a fairly realistic experience. I wish it were the same as before. Don't even get me started on Formation Substitutions (though I'm sure there are many other threads and hundreds of other posts about it).

Instead, we have the appearance of philosophies with CFM mode's Coaching Schemes but no real feedback on what schemes truly do (apart from increasing/decreasing OVR ratings).

The CPU usually never drafts for scheme and rosters are filled with 4-3 players in 3-4 defenses (among others). Yes, I realize this happens in real life all the time. Yes, talented players aren't the product of their systems. But in many cases, teams in real life acquire players to fill roles and prefer players that fit their philosophies. The AI teams only draft and sign for positional need and not for philosophical need. Since that ventures into Off-Topic territory, I'll save it for another thread.

However: In my two team offline CFM, it appears schemes work on some level within sim stats. Rex Ryan's Bills run a Power Run offense with an Attacking 3-4. My HB1 ran for 1,500 yards. My HB2 ran for 600. Both my MLB1 and MLB2 generated realistic stats (both eclipsed the 100 tackle mark). However, TE1 Charles Clay was barely utilized and the vast majority of receiving yards went to Sammy Watkins.

On the other hand, (Bizarro World) Mike McCarthy's New York Jets are very much a pass-heavy West Coast offense, as QB Darrell Sensabaugh routinely hovers around the 4000+ yard mark while RB1 Trey Smith only receives 900-1000 rushing yards at best.

TL;DR: It works to some extent but doesn't give us nearly as much control as the old games did. We should have more freedom to customize schemes instead of letting the default coaching schemes handle simulation stats with uncertainty. Never mind that CPU teams often don't yield the same sim stats (or follow the schemes) user teams do.

Last edited by CarryTheWeight; 08-10-2015 at 12:50 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »