Home

Catch traits

This is a discussion on Catch traits within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-31-2015, 02:44 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Catch traits

I haven't seen this answered anywhere. What exactly does having for example, an aggressive catch trait do? Will the receiver get more favorable animations, better catch chance, or what? I don't know if I've really noticed a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2015, 03:04 PM   #2
Rookie

DatDudeKoop's Arena

Re: Catch traits

XBONE/PS4:
Y/Triangle - Aggressive
X/Square - Run After Catch (RAC)
A/X - Possession

The three different buttons for catching are how your receiver approaches the catch.

Y/Triangle is a complete balls to the walls get the ball at all costs. Using the Aggressive catch will make your receiver go after the ball but could result in a dropped pass as well as no further yards after the catch. I suggest using this option in deep ball or jump ball situations where defenders could pick the ball off or deflect it

X/Square is a run after catch option where your receiver will catch the ball in stride. Try not to use this if there is a pending defender waiting to blow you up. It is great to get a bunch of yards after the catch, because you are not slowing down or jumping in the air to catch the ball. This is an effective option for crossing routes, out, or posts where you have some room to run. Be weary of using this on the sideline, for it will not help you get two feet in bounds

A/X in purely possession. The receiver is not worried about anything but securing the ball. This option will deter extra yards, but it is the best choice for making sure your receiver catches the ball. This is effective on the sidelines and in situations like 3rd and 4th down, where securing the catch is really all that matters.

* Once you can tie these options in with the Trigger/Bumper options that throw the ball high and low, as well as the directional passing with the joystick, your passing game will improve dramatically.
MLB: Cincinnati Reds
NCAAF: Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Cincinnati Bearcats
NCAAB: Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Xavier Musketeers
Cincinnati Bearcats
Old 08-31-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I believe the catch traits affect what sorts of catches the AI will attempt with that player without any user interaction.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatDudeKoop
XBONE/PS4:
Y/Triangle - Aggressive
X/Square - Run After Catch (RAC)
A/X - Possession

The three different buttons for catching are how your receiver approaches the catch.

Y/Triangle is a complete balls to the walls get the ball at all costs. Using the Aggressive catch will make your receiver go after the ball but could result in a dropped pass as well as no further yards after the catch. I suggest using this option in deep ball or jump ball situations where defenders could pick the ball off or deflect it

X/Square is a run after catch option where your receiver will catch the ball in stride. Try not to use this if there is a pending defender waiting to blow you up. It is great to get a bunch of yards after the catch, because you are not slowing down or jumping in the air to catch the ball. This is an effective option for crossing routes, out, or posts where you have some room to run. Be weary of using this on the sideline, for it will not help you get two feet in bounds

A/X in purely possession. The receiver is not worried about anything but securing the ball. This option will deter extra yards, but it is the best choice for making sure your receiver catches the ball. This is effective on the sidelines and in situations like 3rd and 4th down, where securing the catch is really all that matters.

* Once you can tie these options in with the Trigger/Bumper options that throw the ball high and low, as well as the directional passing with the joystick, your passing game will improve dramatically.
I appreciate the reply, but we know what the buttons do

Some WRs have traits for certain catches and you can purchase the traits in CFM. I would like to know what effect the TRAITS have on gameplay. You could do a possession catch with anyone, but does it make a difference whether or not the receiver has the possession trait.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon10
I appreciate the reply, but we know what the buttons do

Some WRs have traits for certain catches and you can purchase the traits in CFM. I would like to know what effect the TRAITS have on gameplay. You could do a possession catch with anyone, but does it make a difference whether or not the receiver has the possession trait.
What CM said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I believe the catch traits affect what sorts of catches the AI will attempt with that player without any user interaction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #6
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Yeah, the catch traits determine if that player will attempt that type of catch.

I noticed that with K Allen in my Chargers franchise. A few times I attempted , but don't recall ever coming down with any despite his CIT in the 90s. I bought the Agg catch trait and he began completing them more.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
Rookie

Thanks guys, I just thought it was a bit more to it. Do if they have more than one trait, I guess it 50-50s what type of catch they attempt? Seems pointless being that the user can decide which catch the receiver should attempt...
Old 08-31-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
Rookie

SpyPirates's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon10
Thanks guys, I just thought it was a bit more to it. Do if they have more than one trait, I guess it 50-50s what type of catch they attempt? Seems pointless being that the user can decide which catch the receiver should attempt...
Yeah it's mostly pointless except for the short passes where it can be hard to change which animation they're using. Also, it's good for the coach mode guys or other players who like to minimize user inputs on multiple players (like "no switch" players on defense)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »