Home

This #PayForPlayEra, RESCINDED

This is a discussion on This #PayForPlayEra, RESCINDED within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for introducing me to this new franchise via EA Access. I'm in. But:

Resent the fact that contract prices now went up, I propose a patch/update that will allow players to play solo challenges, H2H season games WITHOUT contracts

•Some of us like MUT and are not as prone to playing Draft Champions as others because it just arrived!

•Some of us are employed and don't have the time to play.

•Some of us are unemployed and don't have the resources to pay.

•Contracts become a pet peeve after you've earned expensive players from auction or rewards, then have to sub them.

•Contracts become a pet peeve after you've come to the ELITE level solo challenges and Peyton Manning, Demaryius Thomas' Broncos hold you from advancing towards All-Madden level challenges.

Furthermore, to get hard earned players back into the rotation, "best team overall" lineup won't do it automatically because they have zero contracts. So at the expense of adding contracts to the team from the dialogue box (since those players aren't in the line up), you are forced to individually add contracts to those players FROM THE ITEM BINDER.

•Players are NOT capable to be added contracts as smoothly via line up screen because benched players have to be switched to starting lineups.

•Players are not able to get coins to buy contracts via an app like NBA 2K does.

•Moreso, players are forced to play a fresh mode in draft champions , newly introduced!

Should I assume that everybody has enough money to buy packs, or enough patience to go from line up to item binder and back & forth ? Let me hear your thoughts!

EDIT: Gaming, similar to sports, should not be disrespected nor abused or taken advantage of. Even where the game produces the sport, virtually.

Greetings, and many thanks

^YC

Sent from my iPhone using Tap

Last edited by Young Coaches; 09-08-2015 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Code to underline texts failed
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-07-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
McG
Rookie

McG's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: This #PayForPlayEra, RESCINDED

Yeah, UT to me is a complete cash grab. NCAA 14 UT I spent a ton of real money, but it wasn't worth it. I am just a college football junkie and loved the old school players. I wont ever get pulled in again, plus my wife would have my balls if I tried it (she wasn't a happy camper). I really think that if you have a player, then he should be able to play for you, no contracts period. Contracts are exactly what you think they are. Another reason to spend real money. You buy packs, you get quite a few. If you don't, then you have to play the auction house to get enough money to buy them manually. To be honest when I played, I spent probably 80%/20% on the action house apposed to playing. I hope UT will eventually go away, but I doubt it.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:54 PM   #3
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

I think them giving out contracts and coins via the weekly objectives is the best it's going to get. 50-200 contracts ain't nothing, but it's something I guess.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 AM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Coaches
•Some of us are employed and don't have the time to play.

•Some of us are unemployed and don't have the resources to pay.
Welcoming to gaming as a hobby in 2015. Put the time in or put the money in, pick your poison.

This choice is by no means exclusive to Madden NFL, and you can thank mobile games such as Angry Birds for popularizing this mode of video game monetization, where more content is available in bite-size chunks for small fees.

I'm not saying the practice is right or wrong; in fact, done well I think micro transactions can be quite fair. I don't have enough experience with Ultimate Team to have an opinion as to whether Madden falls into the "fair" or "unfair" category, but it's probably better designed than Dungeon Keeper Mobile which was borderline disrespectful to its audience. Regardless, I don't blame EA for following the crowd, especially when there is clearly a market for paid Ultimate Team cards, which is plenty evident given how well financially Ultimate Team has performed for EA across all their sports games.
Old 09-08-2015, 01:07 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Welcoming to gaming as a hobby in 2015. Put the time in or put the money in, pick your poison.

This choice is by no means exclusive to Madden NFL, and you can thank mobile games such as Angry Birds for popularizing this mode of video game monetization, where more content is available in bite-size chunks for small fees.

I'm not saying the practice is right or wrong; in fact, done well I think micro transactions can be quite fair. I don't have enough experience with Ultimate Team to have an opinion as to whether Madden falls into the "fair" or "unfair" category, but it's probably better designed than Dungeon Keeper Mobile which was borderline disrespectful to its audience. Regardless, I don't blame EA for following the crowd, especially when there is clearly a market for paid Ultimate Team cards, which is plenty evident given how well financially Ultimate Team has performed for EA across all their sports games.

Again, I have to be careful w/ what I'm about to say.

We can careless about Joe Public's big time team. With all the rare cards, jewelry, jerseys, players, coaches, badges, I get all that, that's fine by me.

Contracts? trap freedom to play. And that's all I'm saying. It's just the contracts. Get rid of the contract system. That's all. #2K #Madden

When 2K or Madden says to me: YC, we'll pay you to play. Ok, I'll use those funds and invest it in contracts. Otherwise, why should we have to pay/play for something that was once before given to us for free

^YC

Sent from my iPhone using Tap

Last edited by Young Coaches; 09-08-2015 at 04:10 AM. Reason: Shortened Answer, Straight To The Point
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2015, 03:50 AM   #6
Banned

The sole purpose of the mode is to get people to want to play it and to spend more money. As per this post, it seems to be working as designed.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:01 AM   #7
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

If they take away the contracts from solos then they also need to take away the pack and elite rewards. The "free" items they are giving away this year through solos justify the cost and requirement of contracts. Contracts and the minimal cost required to purchase them add some semblance of balance to the flood of high rated elite cards onto teams from the solos.

If nothing else, what they have done with solos is the opposite of pay to play. With $0 you can play through the journey solos and end up with at least 5 guaranteed elites on your team plus about $150-$200k+ coins depending on your luck. Honestly you should not lose a solo until you get at least halfway through All Pro. By that time you have a healthy bunch of contracts built up and get continuous contract rewards throughout. Did I have to buy contract while completing the solos yes. But when it takes around 2-3 games to earn enough for 100 contracts (which should last you 7-8 games) combined with the ability to sell players that you receive from "free" packs while completing there is zero reason to complain about contracts for the solos. Head 2 Head I can't comment on since I don't play it.

Last edited by Dogslax41; 09-08-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

OP, what you've outlined is a successful free2play game. EA deserves cynical recognition for crafting one of the most psychologically dependent cash-grabbing free2play console games. It does nearly everything very well to lure you in, give you enough to keep you entertained, and then set the hook for you to spend moderate amounts of money for depleting rewards.

Roger Dickey, from Zynga, coined the phrase "fun pain" that describes many successful free2play models, and Madden Ultimate team is the gold standard of "fun pain" that encourages people to dish out cash in order to bring an end to the discomfort.

I'm not bothered by MUT at all because EA still invests in other areas of the game, like Franchise mode, but one casualty of MUT is that you can never play with legends unless you're playing with MUT teams. I really wish EA made more use of the legends that they have at their disposal instead of making them lure for MUT. I'd absolutely love to play "Play Now" and online games with legendary teams and players, against friends, or have fantasy franchise modes with legends, but unfortunately you know that it'll never be the case. Given how successful MUT is (and I'd wager they may make more money from MUT sales than they do actual retail sales over a given year), these legend players that every NFL fan would love to play with in other modes will always just be bait for the free2play model.

Last edited by Rebel10; 09-08-2015 at 10:57 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »