Home

Scheme question...

This is a discussion on Scheme question... within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #1
Rookie

althor's Arena

OVR: 0
Scheme question...

I play the Titans and use attacking 3-4. I want to play nickel packages more often. What scheme does nickel fall under, Tampa2? Using the correct scheme with players has a big impact on player overalls.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
MVP

mjavon's Arena

Re: Scheme question...

Nickel packages exist under all schemes. A 3-4 scheme nickel is just a 2-4-5 where a 4-3 nickel.is a 4-2-5.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Mjavon is correct.

You can theoretically have any base scheme as your designation and succeed in your nickel and dime sub-packages.

The basic scheme designation, I believe, does modify your defensive ratings, but it does not do so in as clear or as drastic a way as the player types you set within the "schemes" section.

I would say that it's a good idea to have your basic scheme designation match your personnel. If you're using lots of 34 personnel, then Base 34, Attacking 34, and Hybrid Defense should work fine to suggest a proper "fit" between players and schemes.

That part is theoretical. The next part is not.

What's more important than B34, A34, or Hybrid, is the individual player type you select.

Take any player and switch his individual position scheme type and you'll see the OVR and individual ratings change.

This is where you want to focus your energy. If you want to run excellent sub-packages, figure out which of your players maximize as "Cover 2" linebackers, and be sure to play them in the sub-package.

If you want to further enhance your sub-package, consider OLB who have above-average ZCV ratings and who can be used to drop off into coverage on a zone blitz.

At the S level, I would suggest avoiding players who optimize as "Run Support" and opting instead for players who optimize as "Balanced" or "Zone," though I prefer "Balanced."

Beyond that, if you want to excel in sub-packages, be sure your play-calling supports your personnel and scheme. If you can only muster 1 LB who optimizes as a coverage player and whose play bears that out on the field, then don't call plays that have the other LB manned up on the TE or a slot WR. Leave the TE to the good coverage guy and if you have to man up in the slot with anyone other than a CB, let it be a S who optimizes as Balanced or Zone.

And if your players as a whole are better at man or zone, call more of whatever is to their strength.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
Rookie

althor's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjavon
Nickel packages exist under all schemes. A 3-4 scheme nickel is just a 2-4-5 where a 4-3 nickel.is a 4-2-5.
Ok thanks. I suspected that to be the case, but then thought tampa2 is more back oriented so it might fall under a tampa2 scheme.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:03 AM   #5
MVP

nickel will be in all default playbooks. I like to make my own playbook so i can match to my personnel. I choose nickel formation to get my best pass rushers on the field. I play a 4-3 with speed rushers at DE and Pass rusher as my number one DT and Nose tackle as my number two. My ROLB is also a pass rusher. Therefore, i like a three man front in my nickel and dime sets. I get four good pass rushers in a nickel 3-3-5.

If you play a 3-4 base you may want a nickel with more linebackers than DL to get a better rush.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Rookie

If I am running a 4-3 Attacking scheme, but use the 3-4 rush scheme for my OLB's, does that contradict my team scheme to the point where it would be detrimental, or does it not matter?
Old 01-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #7
MVP

I think that is valid. I use a 3-4 pass rusher or a prototype i make a pass rusher at rolb and use a custom playbook that features him as my main linebacker pass rusher. It makes sense to me to have an old be a good pass rusher and the opposite side to be pass coverage and a balanced guy at mlb. It allows me to use a 3-3-5 in nickel situations other than 1st down. I still like a four man front on first down. If you are using a non custom 4-3 playbook you are going to end up with him in man and zone a lot though.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »