Home

Madden NFL 17 Player Ratings - Top 5 Wide Receivers

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Player Ratings - Top 5 Wide Receivers within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #105
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Madden NFL 17 Player Ratings - Top 5 Wide Receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
To that point, I still find it weird that age 28 is already a "speed declining phase" for players.

But at least the Green/Hopkins question is answered now.
I feel like there should be another way to represent speed decline, or at least start with the decline at a later stage?
Every available data point out there suggests that by age 28 a WR is on his way out of the league.

The link I sent you indicates that is number is about 26 years old, while a study of WR fantasy output over time by PFF indicates that it's about 25 years old.

Whether or not that equates directly to speed, I couldn't say, but speed is definitely a part of it, as would arm strength be for QBs.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2016, 04:29 PM   #106
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Why whats wrong with 28? I think its very fair to say a football player is slower at 28 than they were at 24. They might be much better at running routes counter acting it but, I don't know many athletes that get faster as they get older.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Right.

If Hopkins was a 4.57 at 21 and Green was a 4.50 at 21, then at 24 and 28, respectively, it's safe to assume that Hopkins is about as fast, if not slightly faster, than Green. They'll never race to find out, and I think it's probably unreasonable to expect that one person will be able to update the speed for every single player during one off-season via film (whether they should be using one person to do ratings is another discussion entirely), so this is the best we have. It's not perfect, and some of the methodology could be clearer, but it is what it is.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #107
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Right.

If Hopkins was a 4.57 at 21 and Green was a 4.50 at 21, then at 24 and 28, respectively, it's safe to assume that Hopkins is about as fast, if not slightly faster, than Green. They'll never race to find out, and I think it's probably unreasonable to expect that one person will be able to update the speed for every single player during one off-season via film (whether they should be using one person to do ratings is another discussion entirely), so this is the best we have. It's not perfect, and some of the methodology could be clearer, but it is what it is.
I thougt they have someone else helping Kane, the same person that is helping him with equipment. Emsolo or something similar to that?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #108
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Right.

Good arguments, I reckon now the one point difference in the players is justified inside the ratings scheme. As Price said, wish there was a bit more clarity as far as how things are rated, but some things are also so subjective that we just have to hope for consistency in the method used.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #109
MVP

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Right.

Tbh if athletes peak at say 25 sprinting wise , I'd say AJ should still have a a slight edge in SPD or ACC but itwould be marginal at best .

I'd say speed regression due to age is overdone since 16 still , barring injury its not much of a factor until nearer 30 and then should slowly decline

Last edited by briz1046; 07-29-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 07-30-2016, 12:36 AM   #110
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Tbh if athletes peak at say 25 sprinting wise , I'd say AJ should still have a a slight edge in SPD or ACC but itwould be marginal at best .

I'd say speed regression due to age is overdone since 16 still , barring injury its not much of a factor until nearer 30 and then should slowly decline

Afaik there's no data to back that up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2016, 12:37 AM   #111
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I thougt they have someone else helping Kane, the same person that is helping him with equipment. Emsolo or something similar to that?

I thought she just worked on live but regardless you could have a 10 person staff doing ratings and maybe have enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2016, 01:14 AM   #112
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I'm with you. Coming out of college their rating should be purely based on what their 40 time was, but a base speed deduction as players reach certain ages is something that I'm more than okay with.
It shouldn't be purely based on 40 time. 40 time has lot more to do with acceleration than speed

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »