Home

CPU AI RUNNING GAME

This is a discussion on CPU AI RUNNING GAME within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-30-2016, 11:03 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 6
CPU AI RUNNING GAME

I had a questions related to Madden 16 and the run game. My play style is more run and play defense I run the ball at times about 25 to 30x per game averaging about 3.3 ypc. however the PC AI only ran the ball about half of that so of course I had more TOP and won games by about about 5 to 8 points.

Any way to get the CPU AI to run more often? I know in NCAA I could change coaching tendencies and sometimes that would help but seems like more of a pass happy game to me. I know the NFL is more of a passing league now so I might just have to live with that.

Anyone who enjoys the run game having frustration with the lack of CPU AI running attempts?
..."And there's a frequent bug that turns the receivers' route markers into dancing squiggly lines. None of these problems destroy the fun of running a perfect option play, but they do take you out of what should be an immersive experience."....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: CPU AI RUNNING GAME

Couple of questions:
  • How long are your quarters? Shorter quarter lengths will reduce how many times the CPU runs the ball by reducing how many opportunities they have to run offensive plays.
  • What's your base defense? I assume that good CPU quarterbacks are going to be more likely to throw against eight-man fronts offered by Cover 3 and Cover 1 if you base out of those defenses, as opposed to running against a loaded box.
  • How good is your offense? If you are frequently holding leads, the CPU is probably going to pass more.
  • How good is your defense? If you get the opposing offense behind the sticks on early downs, they are going to pass more.
Bear in mind also that the NFL is becoming more and more a passing league. Only three teams ran the ball more than 30 times a game in 2015, down from eight such teams in 2013. Additionally, only 19 teams ran the ball more than 25 times a game in 2015, down from 25 in 2009.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:02 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

The problem with madden is not the number of attempts the cpu runs the ball....

It's always been the cpu's inability to do anything when they do run.

This is where i think ea has done a sub par effort over the years regardless of what the nfl is doing in terms of play calling.

Cpu rb's in madden just don't behave accordingly despite many having high ratings year in nd year out. You basically have to nerf down sliders just to get them to produce average results at best.

The rb's all seem to behave and react the same on the field.....there is no sense of ai awareness in their decision making....

For example a speed back wil react the same way as a power back on 3rd and 1......or vice vesa power back will more often than try to beat the defense to the outside even if the correct read should have been to find the open blocking lane up the middle

Madden has never truly captured the running game in any version of the series imo over the past 6-8 years.

There's no personaity difference amongst the backs or ball carriers period.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 07-31-2016, 07:32 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: CPU AI RUNNING GAMEh

What's unfortunate is the AI can make really nice cutbacks and reads once every game or two. Otherwise, it's completely inept at recognizing when to stop running towards the sidelines and cut back downfield. You can't call a stretch or toss play and let the CPU run it. Happens all the time when playing superstar mode.

The AI would actually be more effective running the ball if they weren't allowed to run about 70% of the running plays
Old 07-31-2016, 07:49 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

i VERY frequently just have to play no switch on def for the cpu to even have ANY run game.... but playing no switch against the cpu feels better anyway but the cpu def SUCKS at running.. it dont react quick enough nor use the right lanes half the time...

although i did just have todd gurley run all over me recently.. was actually nice to see... rams ran it way more then they passed ...

http://www.twitch.tv/purecokain/profile - Streams

-The Hate Made Me Famous-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
The problem with madden is not the number of attempts the cpu runs the ball....

It's always been the cpu's inability to do anything when they do run.

This is where i think ea has done a sub par effort over the years regardless of what the nfl is doing in terms of play calling.

Cpu rb's in madden just don't behave accordingly despite many having high ratings year in nd year out. You basically have to nerf down sliders just to get them to produce average results at best.

The rb's all seem to behave and react the same on the field.....there is no sense of ai awareness in their decision making....

For example a speed back wil react the same way as a power back on 3rd and 1......or vice vesa power back will more often than try to beat the defense to the outside even if the correct read should have been to find the open blocking lane up the middle

Madden has never truly captured the running game in any version of the series imo over the past 6-8 years.

There's no personaity difference amongst the backs or ball carriers period.
The crazy part is that (from 360 version) there is an "Initiate Contact" Trait that's set to Normal for all.
Along with RB Ability for Hum/AI set at "50" instead of 100 for some strange reason just like "Pass Lead Sensitivity".

I've tweeted a question pertaining to AI tackle avoidance and they said they "tuned" ball carriers (we shall see what that means).

In the end, there still is a lot of ratings/sliders that users aren't given access to for one reason or another, that would go a long way towards improving each individuals gameplay experience within areas not happy with.

One over exaggerated rating that kills the AI running game is the high "Tackle" rating given across the board.
It really manipulates negatively AI ballcarriers due to how heavy it's weighted and the large radius area triggering is established.

But spot on!!!

Maybe M17 will be different, but we've always said this through out the years.

Last edited by khaliib; 08-01-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Something worth considering - one of the new assists this year lets the game trigger ball-carrier tackle avoidances moves for you automatically. Perhaps speculative on my part, but I'm thinking that in order for this to be actually effective they would have had to work on the logic for how and when the CPU triggers those moves. Worth keeping an eye on when the game comes out, at least.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 AM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

It would really help if the Madden team added RB Ability to the slider set like NCAA had. Sometimes you just have to juice the abilities of the CPU rbs to help but the Madden team doesn't let you. You can only juice the blocking. Overall the Madden team has not done a good job with sliders imo. Are separate special team sliders in franchise finally available?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »