Home

The Return of Formation Subs in Madden NFL 17

This is a discussion on The Return of Formation Subs in Madden NFL 17 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #105
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: The Return of Formation Subs in Madden NFL 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
These are not options Tiburon has in the here and now, and expecting them to retroactively fix the past is silly.
Very glad it is back, even in it's limited form.

But it is not silly to hold a company accountable for past decisions. The guy was right, being able to save formation subs should not have been removed, and it should not have taken anywhere near this long to add back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #106
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
The problem is becoming the constant whining of "they should've never taken it out", that's easy to say when you don't understand how games are made and how coding works.
I've been in software development for over 35 years. I know how coding works. It should not have taken anywhere near this long.

I am very glad that saving formation subs is back.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #107
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Kickoff & kickoff return were a really big part of why I wanted this feature. Good to hear it will be addressed. Another year of starters on KO's...

With that said...I will still use the heck out of it on O/D.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

Last edited by NDAlum; 08-10-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #108
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
Kickoff & kickoff return were a really big part of why I wanted this feature. Good to hear it will be addressed. Another year of starters on KO's...

I look at it as a way to get more realistic tackle totals for my franchise.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:05 AM   #109
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdm27
I don't know why you would frame your post this way when I made no mention in my post as to how I feel about the feature. I went as far saying it is a matter of faith on the devs, but never said anything about whether I trust them or not.

But to answer the question, I only judge based on the current dev team, not previous ones, and I am very encouraged by their approach. However, one does not need to be a skeptic to see how can formation subs ultimately not be touched further for a while.

By now we know that there a bigger underlying problems as to why the feature is not implemented properly (exploits and depth chart limitations), one would assume EA works constantly on eliminating exploits and defensive assignments would go a long way towards this but they've also been very specific about how many resources that feature would take so you can see how proper form subs might end up being pushed to M19, no?

Also, the fact that "something is better than nothing" is also an easy crutch to rely upon when prioritizing future features; to give you an example:
Q: Why weren't contracts/player management overhauled if this was the deepest CFM ever?
A: We focused on other aspects, ran out of time and With full player editing you can modify contracts as you see fit (this has been a GOTO answer for many CFM questions this year)

Now we have no certainty that this answer will change for M18 because they might feel that a tool (granted, too basic) is already there to solve that problem, thus making it possible for them to focus on other areas.

In addition, a not fully fleshed formation subs feature, which needs more work for a M17 patch or M18 would also likely affect how many resources they might have to focus on the custom packages side of the equation.

But since the fact is we don't know one way or another, we might as well take the inclusion of "basic" formation subs as a W and hope for the best
Agree. It's better to have a full feature vs anything at all.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:09 AM   #110
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
anyone just checking in who wants to know why some people are disappointed:

- there is restriction to which positions can be subbed where
- cannot put JJ Watt at tight end, cannot put WR at HB, SS at OLB, etc
- no formation subs for kickoff formations

anything I missed?
putting DBS at linebacker is definitely a exploit.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #111
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum

With that said...I will still use the heck out of it on O/D.
Same here. Kickoffs and kick returns were by far the main reason I wanted formation subs. Everything else I want to do (getting 3rd/4th HB some carries, getting pass rushers on the field in obvious passing situations, Safety occasionally at NB in run/pass situations, etc.) I can do fairly quickly with the on the fly subs or the in-game sub feature. And most of those are just situational rather than something that I always want to do.

I'm certainly glad that the devs listened and put for the effort to do what they've done. However, in order to truly get this to where I want it to be I really need subs for the kickoff teams. Having those will truly bring roster building to another level because you could keep players around or draft/sign players who you think would be "special teams aces". Without having control of who's on kickoff teams, then that kind of goes out the window.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #112
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
putting DBS at linebacker is definitely a exploit.
Let's please steer clear of this conversation because there will be a real life side to this convo and a video game side.

For example in your example it's easy to say it shouldn't be an exploit if the game were properly made.

No exploit convo. Thanks.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »