Home

Debate/Poll: NFL Draft Post-Selection Player Cards

This is a discussion on Debate/Poll: NFL Draft Post-Selection Player Cards within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
Rookie

zacification1's Arena

OVR: 0
Debate/Poll: NFL Draft Post-Selection Player Cards

While watching a MrHurriicane video about Madden 17's draft classes, he uttered an idea that I have not bothered to think about until it was mentioned. When you think about it, the player card that appears after you draft a player effects sim and realism in the drafting process.

So I draft a Free Safety in the first round to replace the horrid Dwight Lowery. That safety is a 74 OVR player with Slow development. What do I do next? I take another Free Safety that I've scouted, who will most likely be better than the aforementioned first round dud.

If you are playing in a Sim CFM or Online CFM and want to keep it sim, a front office isn't going to take Safeties with their first two picks unless those are the only needs.

So I pose the question to you, should the Post-Pick Player Card be a feature in Madden, or do you believe waiting until AFTER the draft would make drafting more realistic?

And what can be done if you don't want spoilers that can make a draft unrealistic, besides closing your eyes?

Or is it even a problem? Do you enjoy knowing if you busted as soon as you selected to influence your later draft choices?

I personally believe that the user should be able to toggle it. In Franchise settings when you start up, have an option to set "Post-Selection Player Cards" to ON/OFF. That way, you may draft as you like.

Intellect is gained in no greater significance than in argument. Let the discussion roll.

New England Patriots
Boston College Eagles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2016, 11:53 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Debate/Poll: NFL Draft Post-Selection Player Cards

I really dislike knowing exactly what kind of player you got right after you draft them. I'd love for this to be an option that can be turned on/off. With it off, the ratings you get should come from a scouting department and be grades that get more accurate throughout the preseason/season.

But this is a pipe-dream, I'm sure.

Watch me play video games
Old 08-19-2016, 12:00 AM   #3
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacification1
I personally believe that the user should be able to toggle it.
I agree with this. I like the idea and did something similar in the franchise thread I made but with the twist of getting perceived grades for relevant attributes similar to scouting grades for a player instead of exact attributes.

I also think there should be a waiting process similar to M12 to actually get to know your rookies as well but that's beyond this topic.

I definitely think the option should be there and absolutely even more so now that they want to be so in your face with player potential. I really dislike that they make it so visible and it really takes a lot of the enjoyment out of drafting. Within the current system I'd like to see essentially the scouting card pop up after you've drafted a player with either his three best attribute grades a version of the current card with letter grades and no player potential indicator until after the draft.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:51 AM   #4
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1

I'd love a very hard core Sim franchise. I loves way back when they had ? for players overall even when they were on your team.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:51 AM   #5
Rookie

tubaSimulator's Arena

The draft is just another part of franchise mode that needs to be governed with house rules. Otherwise it's going to break the immersion. Of course knowing the OVR and any other individual skill affects how the rest of your draft goes and it definitely shouldn't. Also, one second you have no idea how good this player is going to be in the NFL but then you draft him and all of a sudden you know he's a starter or someone who will never play in the NFL?

I like this discussion and I hope someone from EA takes notice, but nothing is going to change this year or the next few I guess. Immersion Breaking Simulator is here to stay and so we need house rules. I've decided lately that I want to post more of my own house rules and ideas on OS because if there are other players out there who value realism maybe I can provide something that'll make your franchise mode more enjoyable. My Training Camp idea got a lot of positive feedback so I think I'm gonna keep it coming as I get into M17. Anyway, here are my basic house rules regarding rookies and the draft and I hope they can be of help;

1. Don't look at the player card when you draft someone. Just keep your eyes focused on the top left corner of the screen, where at the worst you can see the drafted player's picture but nothing else, and click past it as soon as it comes up. Not only do you delay knowing his OVR so that it doesn't affect the rest of your draft, but you don't know if it was a good pick or a reach and more importantly, you don't know his development - which I don't think is realistic to know.
2. After the draft, don't look at the contract screen, which gives away all the OVR's, unless you're editing a rookie's position. Sometimes I scout a rookie who may not fit my system in the position he's listed at but I see an opportunity to bring him to play a different position. So, let's say I find a CB that I think would be a better fit at FS in my defensive scheme. In that case I have to stick with the original plan if I draft him, meaning no matter how good he is as a CB, after the draft I have to edit his position and bring him into preseason as a FS.
3. I bring every rookie into training camp (link in my signature) and let their play and performance decide rather than the OVR.

Do you guys have other house rules you use during the draft? I'm always interested in knowing what other madden players who are looking for realism do in their franchise modes to preserve the immersion. Also, I understand there are a bunch of CFA's in this years madden? Probably have to come up with house rules regarding them as well, huh?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

I think the key is self control (in house rules)

I've never looked at player overall after drafting a player. For immersion I choose not to look at player cards now. I frankly don't care what their development trait is because it's "dynamic" and if that's going to hold any weight, the slow Dev guy will be normal or quick in a few seasons.

I'm drafting based on scheme and how I plan on using the guy. If he does his job, development is irrelevant.

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 08-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Just not looking at the player card will be enough for me. Still waiting for a lot more CFM impressions before I make my buying decision.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

I agree but only thing I disagree with is the 74 OVR being a dud. that seems really solid for a rookie with the new ratings scale in M17. and while the slow development is a shame, if he plays well and meets goals he can improve it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »