Home

Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game

Football is a passing game. Despite the Denver Broncos riding a dominant defense to their third Super Bowl ring, the majority of playoff teams last year fielded offenses with potent aerial attacks. Whether it be Tom Brady's precision attack or Carson Palmer connecting on big plays, the rules in the NFL favor the pass. How does this relate to Madden? Quite simply, it doesn’t. Madden has always favored the pass as its primary means of racking up yards, but Madden 17 moves towards balance, albeit, in a good way.

Read More - Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
The double tap to throw a touch pass to the receivers was in last years game. It is not new to this years.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
Rookie

What's new about the double tap passing is that it works this year. Especially on dig routes to clear linebackers in an underneath coverage on drag routes.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Rookie

I find the touch pass to be dangerous in most situations because it takes too long to drop. So with passes over the middle, I hold L1 for the high pass since they haven't fixed the bullet pass issue where an LB just a yard behind the LOS can swat a bullet intended to go 20 yards which doesn't happen in real life.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game

A couple of things on the article, first correct the typo that says two safeties high indicates cover 3. That is wrong, perhaps you meant cover 4.

Second, if this is meant as a guide of sorts I would have went into more detail on how to make reads. For example in most cases as soon as I snap the ball I look to the middle of the field, regardless of where my primary target is.
Why? Because most times that tells me all I need to know about the defense. Sure crafty defenses can run combo defense with zone inside while matching up in man on the defense, but that is rare.

I think it is better to provide the steps on how to make post snap reads rather than leave it at scan the field.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2016, 12:13 AM   #6
Rookie

Ruben2424's Arena

I only use the touch passes when I throw to a player that has a low catch rating running a dig or in route. They seem to drop less passes this way since touch passes are easier to catch than bullet passes. For my highly skilled guys, I'll simply tap their icon + direction I want the pass to go OR I'll use the high pass modifier if I'm trying to out-jump the defender with a bigger offensive player. I really don't get too technical with my passing. It's basically reading what the defense gives me and letting it fly. It's been working since Madden 2002!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:25 AM   #7
All Star

Passing game has always been the thing I have had the hardest time doing in madden games. On default all pro I have a hard time passing. I have played about 7 games of madden 17 so far and I have thrown 28 INT no joke lol. I have thrown at least 3 INT in ever game but 1. My last like 4 games playing with Armors sliders I am still only completing about 50-53% of my passes and still throwing about 3-5 INT ever game and that is with Rodgers one of the better games.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
Passing game has always been the thing I have had the hardest time doing in madden games. On default all pro I have a hard time passing. I have played about 7 games of madden 17 so far and I have thrown 28 INT no joke lol. I have thrown at least 3 INT in ever game but 1. My last like 4 games playing with Armors sliders I am still only completing about 50-53% of my passes and still throwing about 3-5 INT ever game and that is with Rodgers one of the better games.
Do you ever take the checkdown?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »