Home

CFM Free Agent Process detailed

This is a discussion on CFM Free Agent Process detailed within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-02-2016, 07:01 PM   #17
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: CFM Free Agent Process detailed

I've encountered an issue where with some re-signings in season, you cannot adjust the bonus. You can adjust the length of the contract and the salary, but not the bonus, and I've run into problems where the guy keeps saying he wants more bonus. Then I lose him. Anyone else seen this? Any remedies?
Old 09-03-2016, 05:30 AM   #18
Rookie

tubaSimulator's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: CFM Free Agent Process detailed

Great post, ND and I completely agree with you on this. The point system in M17 is just as bad as it was in M16 (which was basically exactly the same only with a different layout). To me it's immersion breaking (don't show me how the game makes calculations!), unrealistic and I need house rules to make free agency playable. I like your idea of having colors indicating if a player is interested in signing with you as not all players are/should be interested in signing with any team. Sure, a player often goes where the money is, but it would be great if his interest was adjusted by other factors as well, like
- who your head coach is,
- what role he'll have on your team (is he a DE you would have to move to OLB etc),
- if he fits the player type in your scheme,
- if he wants to play in your division/conference (P.Manning never wanted to play in the NFC)
- if you're a playoff bound team or in a rebuilding phase (veterans might want to sign with playoff teams only while young players might want to be part of a rebuilding project)
etc.

All these different factors would then give a Red, Yellow or Green indicator to follow ND's suggestion. Red - not interested at all, move on and find someone else. Yellow - could be persuaded with the right contract or role (see below). Green - very interested.

I think it would be great if the contract negotiations were a multiple step feature, or at least offered more options on the contract screen than just money and length. I.e.:

Step 1: Define what role the player would have on your team.
- Firstly, the list you have to choose from is generated based on your schemes, so if you run a 3-4 defense, you can't offer a player a 4-3 role because it doesn't exist in your scheme. If your scheme is WCO with a Mobile QB type, it would be more difficult - although not impossible - to get a Pocket Passer to sign with you. The player could then become 'not interested' because he doesn't think he would fit your system or he doesn't want to play in the role you've offered, and it would at least take significantly more money to make him interested. But also, a player could find your offer more attractive than an offer of more money from a different team simply because he thinks he would fit well in your system.

- Secondly, if there was a way to make it work, it would be cool if you had to choose whether you saw the player as elite, a starter, a starter of the future (young players), a backup or just someone you want to bring into preseason/training camp and give a chance to compete for a roster spot (more roles could and should be added). The player could then become not interested if he doesn't like the role offered (if you offer a QB the backup role but he wants to be a starter etc) or if you've offered the right role but you have too many good players at his position already. I.e. if the Packers offers a Starter role to a QB while Rodgers is still there, the FA QB should reject any offer if he wants to be a starter somewhere (this could potentially fix any issues with AI teams signing multiple highly rated players in the same position as even if they tried, the FA's would reject).

Step 2: Contract specifics like salary and bonus money would then be somewhat regulated based on what role you offered. If you offered a 65 OVR a Starter role, he should only be interested in Starter money which means you might have to grossly overpay if you've selected the wrong role. If you've offered the role of backup, you shouldn't be able to offer Starter money and so on. In other words, you can't just offer the Starter role to everyone to get them to sign.

Step 3: The day after (we need a CALENDAR in Madden, not 'stages'!) you've offered a contract, the color (to use ND's idea) could change or stay the same based on your offer (but you wouldn't be able to see it immediately as to not spam contract offers until you have the best offer on the table).

- Red players are no longer interested because they aren't interested in the role/position you offered, the contract wasn't good enough or they signed with a different team.
- Yellow players are on the fence; they like the position and role offered, but maybe they need a bit more salary or guaranteed money, maybe the length isn't what they're looking for, maybe they don't want to move to the city you're in or they don't like your head coach etc.
- Green: very interested in your offer and will most likely sign if no other teams increase their offers.

I think this could work well for the resign stage as well where you have to offer a role along with the salary/length. I.e. if you have a young player coming off his rookie deal who's just had a great season with lots of playing time, maybe you have to offer him a starter role to keep him for next season - and of course offer him starter money. Or if you have a player who doesn't really fit your system and the type you need in your scheme, it would be more difficult to keep him because he might want to find a team that plays to his strengths and so on. Maybe it'll be more difficult to keep veterans if you're coming off a 4-12 season and are nowhere near a playoff spot.

Anyway, just ideas but the current system definitely needs to change (or at least don't show us the mechanics of the game!)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »