Home

Run blocking is terrible , need some help

This is a discussion on Run blocking is terrible , need some help within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 1
Re: Run blocking is terrible , need some help

before M16, i found a lead blocker very effective. using the FB was the best way for me to run.

but in both M16 and M17, i find the FB lead blocker to be consistently to worst way to run.
Old 09-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #18
Rookie

althor's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I agree with most of what everyone here said except for one thing -- the suggestion to avoid running inside.

I run inside the majority. If an outside run fails you are looking at a big loss, yet inside runs should always net you some yards. Yes, often times it is 3 yards, but that is better than -2.

Inside runs are better at keeping you out of long yardage situations.

Also, time for a gross generalization!
Outside runs -- my stick skills are good but not so good reading blocks.
inside runs -- my stick skills are not good but I know how to read blocks (true for inside zone, but man blocking just follow the designated hole)
When I try to run up the middle, the outside defender somehow runs around my O-line and curls around to hit my HB from behind and tackle for a loss. It is amazing how that outside defender can run 10 yards faster than I can move 1 yard.
Old 09-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #19
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by althor
When I try to run up the middle, the outside defender somehow runs around my O-line and curls around to hit my HB from behind and tackle for a loss. It is amazing how that outside defender can run 10 yards faster than I can move 1 yard.
I've never had that problem.

In a defense like 4-3 normal with only 7 in the box a OLB will be the force or contain player, so it sounds like that is what got you. Or it was a scrape blitz.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #20
MVP

OVR: 9

Use speed slow and standard camera.

Your offensive line also determines how good you can run, I learned that the hard way.

Don't use turbo until after you get through the line or you will run into your own player sometimes.
Old 09-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #21
Rookie

Do not use turbo until you have an opening because it causes the defensive players to immediately get released from any block and begin to pursue the ball carrier. Someone posted a quote from a dev that confirmed this.

I find great success with the HB trap and dive to the point where I use "house rules" because it is an easy 4-5 yd gain most of the time. The CPU never adjusts to running the same play over and over.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #22
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynefontes
Do not use turbo until you have an opening because it causes the defensive players to immediately get released from any block and begin to pursue the ball carrier. Someone posted a quote from a dev that confirmed this.

I find great success with the HB trap and dive to the point where I use "house rules" because it is an easy 4-5 yd gain most of the time. The CPU never adjusts to running the same play over and over.

All great advice! Is that true tho? I actually found a guard with 96 impact blocking and people slip right off of him
Old 09-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #23
Pro

TurboTitan's Arena

OVR: 6

Biggest thing Ive noticed in M17 in regards to running the ball is that it is FINALLY somewhat realistic. In the past, as soon as you take the handoff you could just sprint immediately through the line. Unless there is a HUGE gaping hole right off the bat, you dont see RB in the league do this.....they take their time to read the blocking and WAIT for a hole to open up. If you sprint right away in M17, it is a sure bet you wont run the ball well 9 out of 10.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #24
Banned

Ya i have def been doing better. I been waiting for the holes and not hitting speed burst. There still is a little bit of warping tho.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »