Home

Blocking for scrambling QB

This is a discussion on Blocking for scrambling QB within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2016, 01:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Blocking for scrambling QB

I use my QB to scramble alot and my left and right tackles seem to give up free lanes straight to my QB way too often for no reason. Like they just stand there and watch ppl run by them. For a scrambling QB what's best style for Oline such as Big Mauler or zone blocking and how can I get them to block better ? My current LT has 88 PB 86 RB and 84 IB and he still gets beat way too often ??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
Sim or Nothing

SpectreBugg's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Blocking for scrambling QB

This probably less about your players abilities, and more about the madden AI being poor at times. Combine that with the fact that they intentionally nerfed QB scrambling in madden this year(for obvious reasons) and I can say with decent certainty that you probably won't be finding any solution for this issue.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:52 PM   #3
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyette
I use my QB to scramble alot and my left and right tackles seem to give up free lanes straight to my QB way too often for no reason. Like they just stand there and watch ppl run by them. For a scrambling QB what's best style for Oline such as Big Mauler or zone blocking and how can I get them to block better ? My current LT has 88 PB 86 RB and 84 IB and he still gets beat way too often ??
If I was going to build an O-Line around a scrambling QB with the intention of scrambling a lot, I'm not sure I would care a whole lot about their abilities. The OT's could be any quality or style of guy because you're going to scramble inside or around their blocks. Based on that, I would try to have a G/C/G that is incredibly strong and highly rated at pass blocking, impact blocking and AWR to make sure there are lanes to step up and run through.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #4
Rookie

njmcfreak's Arena

OVR: 4

It's not worth it to even try. QB scrambling is nerfed and there isn't much you can do outside of playing on an easy mode with no fatigue on.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyette
Is the pressure coming from between the tackle and guard or around the edge?

I ask because I'm playing with the Bills and using Taylor to scramble a lot and I find that if I try to roll to the outside of my tackles I'm often getting wrapped up by an edge rusher. If I instead step up into the pocket then get out of the pocket to the inside of the tackle I have much better success. Obviously this depends a lot on the play call and where any blitz might be coming from.

Simply dropping back 20 yards and running to the sideline to make a throw doesn't work the way it used to in past maddens.

One other tip; a trick I've been utilizing is when I'm in a play where I think needing to move outside the pocket is likely I tap the R2/RT button once my QB has completed his drop. This puts him in the mode where the QB runs but still has control to make a good pass. You can stay right in the pocket and make a normal throw if you get little pressure or make a quick read but if you need to move you'll have that extra mobolity. Just note that if you move your QB and stop at any point he'll come out of that mode unless you tap r2/rt again or hold it while running.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #6
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

Also a good way to not drain your QB's stamina is to simply tap R2/RT and the QB will move at the same pace as holding R2/RT, yet won't drain stamina as quickly. At least if you make it past the LOS you can kinda/sorta make moves and not be a tired fumble machine.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
MVP

Champion8877's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmcfreak
It's not worth it to even try. QB scrambling is nerfed and there isn't much you can do outside of playing on an easy mode with no fatigue on.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I wish it was possible to at least toggle the stupid QB stamina feature off. I mean I guess I understand why it's needed for balance online, but as an offline player it's annoying as ****

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
Rookie

It's mainly the edge rusher. My tackle literally has to take 1 step sideways to lay a block and he just stands there. I understand when they drop an extra guy down to blitz he's probably gonna get by but either my tackle acts like he can't even see there's an edge rusher there or he locks up and only holds the block for not even a second and this happens even if I go aggressive left with my line. Sorry it's just frustrating because my QB keeps getting injured

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »