Home

Gameplanning in CFM is not correct.

This is a discussion on Gameplanning in CFM is not correct. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-02-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4
Gameplanning in CFM is not correct.

Ok, so here is the deal. Im going to first post what EA claimed this tendency info was in gameplanning before the game came out:

"The offensive and defensive tendencies of your opponent are tracked week to week giving you the information you need when selecting your gameplan. Does your opponent bring the blitz or does he/she play man or zone coverage? It will be easy to tell with the tendency information."

Ok, now from most of the people ive talked to, in my league and in others expected this info to tell you their tendencies based on their total playcalls. This is NOT at all the case.

In this video , i clearly show this info is not correct.It tells me my opponent passes 29% and runs 71% .Most of us, would expect this data to mean, thats based on % of all his plays on offense he runs. The problem is, i know this guy , and said that cant be right , so i went and looked. He actually throws 58% of the time and runs 42% of the time, of his total offensive plays on this season. So that data is nothing but useless as it is.

Video of wrong data

Now numerous have asked John White about it, his only real response ive seen is , the data weighs 1st down more heavily. Well thats odd because that was not how it was presented above.It doesnt say , see your opponents tendencies based on what he does mostly on first downs. Also , if its going to weigh anything, it needs to break it down for 1st, 2nd , and 3rd down , what the %s are for each. This data currently is not very usefull and not what most people thought it was.It does me no good to know what they are doing mostly on 1st down.Its not game planning its first down planning. Not the same thing at all. .I have just learned, theres no real point in looking at this data.Not doing me any good.

Why it was thought , not to give the % based on total number of plays they run, is beyond me. But thats what it should do. If it was really going to be good, it would break it down based on down, yardage, and personell on the field , like it does in coach glass. Ive called numerous times for that data to be in the game.

The fact that we are now learning its more based on 1st down calls, makes me question any usefulness in the plays % as well. Dont feel like i can trust any of this data now.Also , no one has a clue, because its not been told us, if this data resets at start of each season, is compiled season- season, resets after each week , or what, no one knows.Lack of explaining these things is not a good look by EA and quite disappointing.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Gameplanning in CFM is not correct.

I always thought the run percentages were way too high!

Hopefully EA uses this for M18 to present us with more metrics; 1st down playcall percentage, average 2nd down distance, 2nd and short playcall, go-to 3rd and medium plays, etc. It sounds like they not only have the ability to track this information, but to separate and report on it as well. The possibilities for using this data could be huge, if EA takes advantage of it.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:23 PM   #3
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Wow.

Just to add to this if you're playing a solo offline franchise (and likely solo online), those numbers are completely static and useless for the CPU teams as well. Doesn't matter if you're playing the Chargers with Mike McCoy in 2017 or the Chargers in 2027 with Sean Payton, the data is always the same and never changes.

I had thought that user data was accurate from the testing I did but it was a much smaller sample size and this clearly shows that's not the case. Really unfortunate. CFM is such a huge mess.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #4
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I had thought that user data was accurate from the testing I did but it was a much smaller sample size and this clearly shows that's not the case. Really unfortunate. CFM is such a huge mess.
Nope its def not correct. And that being said, this isnt really a feature that was added to this mode, when its not even doing what its supposed to.

My question is, which is it with EA,Some things they say, they didnt add,because they didnt want it half done before they added it. Then other hand, the things they add, are half done....Im so confused right now.

Its getting really old now.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 10-02-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
Sim or Nothing

SpectreBugg's Arena

OVR: 2

Noticed the same thing throughout my leagues. Although, i did not know that the data is more based on first downs. I suppose that information is better than nothing, but it is a terrible way to set it up. They should have made it more clear, but that's typically madden features for you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Nope its def not correct. And that being said, this isnt really a feature that was added to this mode, when its not even doing what its supposed to.

My question is, which is it with EA,Some things they say, they didnt add,because they didnt want it half done before they added it. Then other hand, the things they add, are half done....Im so confused right now.

Its getting really old now.
It just comes down to poorly thought out and even more poorly executed ideas. Same kinds of issues that were present last year with drive goals and it's pretty much become status quo with CFM. Hopefully it's something that can be patched asap so they don't have to spend too much time getting it to work correctly.
Old 10-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
the data weighs 1st down more heavily.
As well it should as the data is currently presented, because 2nd- and 3rd-and-long play calls are going to inherently be biased towards passing. What a team tends towards with no pressure from the down and distance is probably most representative of what they are actually attempting to accomplish on offense.

Quote:
Well thats odd because that was not how it was presented above.It doesnt say , see your opponents tendencies based on what he does mostly on first downs.
Valid criticism, the presentation is misleading. The data is presented in a "this is what they are doing on all downs" manner, but it's obviously not quite that.

Quote:
Also , if its going to weigh anything, it needs to break it down for 1st, 2nd , and 3rd down , what the %s are for each.
I agree that I would like to see the weights of how my opponent calls his offense and defense not only by down but also by distance (short / medium / long).

Quote:
This data currently is not very usefull and not what most people thought it was. It does me no good to know what they are doing mostly on 1st down.
Quote:
Its not game planning its first down planning. Not the same thing at all. .I have just learned, theres no real point in looking at this data.Not doing me any good.
I disagree entirely that having the data weighted for first down is inappropriate and not useful.

If you keep your opponent off schedule with respect to down and distance, you force him to become a one-dimensional play caller and he is obviously going to pass more. How does one accomplish this? Stopping him on first down, for starters. To that end, I argue that first down is probably the most important down to know information about.

I have found the data useful as set up in a competitive multiplayer setting, though I'd like to see it expanded upon in the future. I have other criticisms about it - namely that the percentages don't change for CPU teams - but otherwise I have enjoyed its inclusion.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

I disagree entirely that having the data weighted for first down is inappropriate and not useful.

If you keep your opponent off schedule with respect to down and distance, you force him to become a one-dimensional play caller and he is obviously going to pass more. How does one accomplish this? Stopping him on first down, for starters. To that end, I argue that first down is probably the most important down to know information about.

I have found the data useful as set up in a competitive multiplayer setting, though I'd like to see it expanded upon in the future. I have other criticisms about it - namely that the percentages don't change for CPU teams - but otherwise I have enjoyed its inclusion.

Well, that would be more a "if" gameplanning then right? i mean, according to the data in my video, that guy only passes 29 % time, mostly for first down.Ok cool, but in reality he likes to pass more than run.So , since most of my defense is not played mostly on just first down, it would be nice to actually know his % of total plays ran.

Sure IF , you stop someone on 1st down, when they run, they may have to pass on 2nd and 3rd, but thats not always the case either.I play numerous guys who will run on 2nd and 10 .Even 3rd downs at times. I get your point, but to me( key thing here, just stating how i see it), im no longer looking over that data because its not that useful to me.I can just use coach glass and get more data on that player , than anything i find in the tendencies from gameplanning. Heck at this point i dont even know if those % for the dif plays are even right and if they are, what are they based off of?

Its not how it was presented, and had some of us not been looking deeply and asking them about it, we wouldnt have even got the very little info from John saying it weighs first down more heavily. This should not be how things work.

Also , we still are not sure if this data resets at start of each season? or what it really does. Not enough info given about it ,so its kinda feature we dont really understand how it works really.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel

Last edited by howboutdat; 10-02-2016 at 08:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »