Home

Madden NFL 17 Do Your Own Expansion Mode

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 17 Do Your Own Expansion Mode within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Madden NFL 17 Do Your Own Expansion Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapenguin4
So I decided to give this a try.

Started with the San Diego Chargers, since they are a team thinking of moving, are stuck in mediocrity, are 45 minutes away yet can't get my attention, etc. I followed your list as players I could pick from, including the rules about 2 players max per team and removing one from a team when you pick one. I decided I would only pick one player with an asterisk.

Bruce Irvin became my one asterisk player, while Colin Kaepernick is my main offensive star (although Charcandarick West is right there with him). After simming the season as the Chargers (4-12 record) I picked up 5 decent FAs, the best of which was a 76ovr wr (can't remember who off the top of my head).

Shortly before the draft my team moved into their new home as the Portland River Hogs. With the 2nd overall pick, the River Hogs picked up an 81ovr pass rushing OLB with superstar dev to start opposite Irvin.

We are now a 65 overall team with nothing but a pass rush. This is where the River Hogs journey begins.
I did an expansion with M16 where I moved the Chargers to Sacraminto and became the Miners, I like those uni's the best of all the options. I made it 7 seasons after the move with that CFM. I had built them into similar version of the Chargers where I was one of the best teams but could not get to a Super Bowl then after year 7 all my pieces left, my QB, and all my defense. So I gave up on it.

I now have a new expansion going with M16 where I replaced the Jags as the Houston Oilers, feel like the league needs the Oilers again. I was able to use the 1st overall pick on a superstar 3-4 OLB, my 2nd rd pick on a superstar LT, my 3rd round pick on a Quick development CB, and my 4th round pick on a superstar QB who is a Mike Vick clone but a little taller and a much better passer.

My first season was a success in that I went 7-9, but none of my expansion draft players wanted to resign outside of Terrell Prior who is now a 75ovr. My second season looks like 4 wins at best.
Old 10-11-2016, 09:41 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for this. I love trying out new ways to play the game to keep it fresh
Old 10-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #11
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Having done both types of expansion where I draft players to have a base and where I start year 2 with no players on the roster building through draft and free agents. I have to say I prefer not doing the draft, I feel like I can build to good of a team.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-11-2016, 11:58 AM   #12
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapenguin4
So I decided to give this a try.

Started with the San Diego Chargers, since they are a team thinking of moving, are stuck in mediocrity, are 45 minutes away yet can't get my attention, etc. I followed your list as players I could pick from, including the rules about 2 players max per team and removing one from a team when you pick one. I decided I would only pick one player with an asterisk.

Bruce Irvin became my one asterisk player, while Colin Kaepernick is my main offensive star (although Charcandarick West is right there with him). After simming the season as the Chargers (4-12 record) I picked up 5 decent FAs, the best of which was a 76ovr wr (can't remember who off the top of my head).

Shortly before the draft my team moved into their new home as the Portland River Hogs. With the 2nd overall pick, the River Hogs picked up an 81ovr pass rushing OLB with superstar dev to start opposite Irvin.

We are now a 65 overall team with nothing but a pass rush. This is where the River Hogs journey begins.
Nice. Your "expansion" Chargers went 4-12 in year 1? That's really good. I have yet to see my team win a game in the couple sims I did when testing this out. Of course, Joe Webb was my starting QB though and I didn't pick up Irvin (was tempted to). I also wanted Kaep, but the cap number turned me off. I figured I could sign a guy like Geno Smith more cheaply in year 2 which I did. My key FA signing was 'Pot Roast' Terrance Knighton--critical for my 3-4 scheme. I scooped back up Luke Joeckel (who I cut from the Jags before year 1) and moved him to LT also, lol.

Keep us posted on your River Hogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
Having done both types of expansion where I draft players to have a base and where I start year 2 with no players on the roster building through draft and free agents. I have to say I prefer not doing the draft, I feel like I can build to good of a team.
Maybe it's not the draft per se, but maybe you need to strengthen the restrictions. If you don't draft better than a 70-75 OVR, you won't have a good team.

I sort of feel the opposite, that I could build a better team through unlimited FA signings than I could using a really strict "expansion draft" (nobody over 75 OVR and all of the other restrictions set up in the OP). To each their own and it's all good.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 10-11-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:40 PM   #13
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

I took players 70 or below during my draft. I used logic of a GM on who each team would put out there. My team overall was a 61 for year 1 as the Jags, before the expansion. I went 0-16 that first year but had a few guys gain some XP allowing me to improve them above a 70.

The free agents I added were all 70 or below. After year 1 I signed Jake Long, Glen Dorsey, and Jarvis Jones. I was able to land 4 really great draft picks, 2 project safeties, and a kicker with a huge leg. I filled my roster with low rated cast offs like Dre Archer, Chris Matthews, and Justin Coleman. The rest of my roster was filled with low rated vets and UDFA's.

Where I prefer the blank roster approach with limits on who I sign is I am forced to only pick from the FA pool and not from players I think a team might cast off in a draft where my own needs might influence my picks. I am left to pick from players teams don't want outside of those rare FA's that are really good players but don't get signed.

My FA rules are...
-Can't sign a player over a 75 overall until year 3 or an 8+ win season, which ever comes first.
-Can sign 2 players over the age of 32 if less then an 80 overall.
-Can only sign 6 player max each offseason.
-Fill roster with UDFA's or players under the age of 30 and under a 70 overall for first 3 years.

My Draft rules...
-No draft trades for first draft.
-1 draft trade in year 2 and 3 but for current draft picks, no future picks.
-Trade for future picks after year 4 and have a 8+ win season, both must occur before trades.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #14
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
My first season was a success in that I went 7-9, but none of my expansion draft players wanted to resign outside of Terrell Prior who is now a 75ovr. My second season looks like 4 wins at best.
Interesting. I was actually considering signing Pryor and re-converting him to an option QB. I ending up settling for Geno Smith as a stop gap.

Quote:
I took players 70 or below during my draft. I used logic of a GM on who each team would put out there. My team overall was a 61 for year 1 as the Jags, before the expansion. I went 0-16 that first year but had a few guys gain some XP allowing me to improve them above a 70.

The free agents I added were all 70 or below. After year 1 I signed Jake Long, Glen Dorsey, and Jarvis Jones. I was able to land 4 really great draft picks, 2 project safeties, and a kicker with a huge leg. I filled my roster with low rated cast offs like Dre Archer, Chris Matthews, and Justin Coleman. The rest of my roster was filled with low rated vets and UDFA's.

Where I prefer the blank roster approach with limits on who I sign is I am forced to only pick from the FA pool and not from players I think a team might cast off in a draft where my own needs might influence my picks. I am left to pick from players teams don't want outside of those rare FA's that are really good players but don't get signed.

My FA rules are...
-Can't sign a player over a 75 overall until year 3 or an 8+ win season, which ever comes first.
-Can sign 2 players over the age of 32 if less then an 80 overall.
-Can only sign 6 player max each offseason.
-Fill roster with UDFA's or players under the age of 30 and under a 70 overall for first 3 years.

My Draft rules...
-No draft trades for first draft.
-1 draft trade in year 2 and 3 but for current draft picks, no future picks.
-Trade for future picks after year 4 and have a 8+ win season, both must occur before trades.
Seems like a legit method. One thing I wouldn't want to do is the 75 OVR free agents limitation because expansion teams will usually open the wallet wide to get a franchise player or two as they try to grow a fan base. Also the 6 FA signing max isn't something I would do after the first offseason.

That said, we are basically doing the same thing, but just going about it in a slightly different way. I think both ways are equally valid. The main idea is getting a whole new team and making sure it's pretty bad (expansion-like) at first. And of course handcuffing yourself a bit to make it a challenge.

I remember when the expansion Browns came [back] into the league after the original franchise took off to Baltimore to become the Ravens. I think Carmen Policy--a former SF exec during their glory years--was the Browns head guy and man they drafted a really bad team. I remember them drafting Hurvin McCormack and thinking....who?!?!? And I was following pro football pretty closely at the time having played every Madden iteration since the franchise came to Sega Genesis in 1990.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #15
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Interesting. I was actually considering signing Pryor and re-converting him to an option QB. I ending up settling for Geno Smith as a stop gap.

Seems like a legit method. One thing I wouldn't want to do is the 75 OVR free agents limitation because expansion teams will usually open the wallet wide to get a franchise player or two as they try to grow a fan base. Also the 6 FA signing max isn't something I would do after the first offseason.

That said, we are basically doing the same thing, but just going about it in a slightly different way. I think both ways are equally valid. The main idea is getting a whole new team and making sure it's pretty bad (expansion-like) at first. And of course handcuffing yourself a bit to make it a challenge.

I remember when the expansion Browns came [back] into the league after the original franchise took off to Baltimore to become the Ravens. I think Carmen Policy--a former SF exec during their glory years--was the Browns head guy and man they drafted a really bad team. I remember them drafting Hurvin McCormack and thinking....who?!?!? And I was following pro football pretty closely at the time having played every Madden iteration since the franchise came to Sega Genesis in 1990.
I fully understand the need for those franchise guys and bring in a known name. It being a video game and easy to win, I feel the need to go extreme to keep things level. I like finding new guys to play with. Tap has been fun as a receiver.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »