Home

I have come to the conclusion that QB ratings do not matter.

This is a discussion on I have come to the conclusion that QB ratings do not matter. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-15-2016, 06:41 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: I have come to the conclusion that QB ratings do not matter.

Good points by both King and Vtcrb.

I am also an offline player, but maybe releasing two rosters with each update could solve many issues.

One as per usual, and one with global edits that reduce all players OVR to some lower threshold for "sim play". I would think if the edits were applied correctly across all positions the potential problem areas that King mentioned would carry on as per usual, albeit at the aforementioned lower overall rating scale.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2016, 07:01 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkizast
^^ The problem with that is when you want to have an updated roster but you've already made so many changes... Or if a patch comes out that affects all the changes you made... It's just a lot of work for something that may or may not last long.
I guess the question would be why would someone unhappy with EA's current roster/tunning/patch updates continue to download them, only to come back and post their dislikes of said download affects.

Once you get your initial roster done, edits inside CFM could take less than 30min because more than half the created players will not see any playing time by Hum or AI.
- They're just roster fillers mostly, and this is talking about every position.

Specifically speaking to the OP, just editing WR/TE would not take long at all, and the hidden gem is that draft class WR/TE mostly come in near/at the levels (<65) that your default roster is edited to.
- it's less than 20 WR/TE that may have inflated stats within your edited area.
- edits on the back end are minute time wise

OVR's wise, maybe changing Player Type to match type in scheme will give a boost to the OVR for contract purposes etc...
- my edited 75 OVR default A. Jeffrey was boosted to an 86 OVR inside my CFM for some reason.

Point being, inflated RTE/CIT/AWR Pass Catcher ratings have a major impact on both Hum and AI QB Accuracy/Inaccuracy
Old 12-16-2016, 03:23 AM   #43
Pro

OVR: 2

Thanks for all the responses guys. To set the record straight, all of my testing is done in CPU vs. CPU. Of course I am a human owned team, but to test, I let the CPU do it all. I feel this is the only way to get a true rating and slider setting. If you play H2H throw the ball or control your QB, depending on how good you are with the controller, it can change everything. A great joy stick player so to speak can make a 50 overall rated QB play like a 90 rated QB. If I tried to play that way it would have a reverse affect. I would never complete a pass.

Even when playing POTM, I just call the play. I am strictly a COACH MODE STYLE PLAYER. So I guess I would be considered a simmer, except I watch my games or call the plays.

In my mind getting the CPU to play a realistic style of game is my objective. If TOM BRADY, a 90 overall rated QB plays half the season and has a completion percentage of 70%. Completes 280 pass out of 400. Then he gets hurt, His rookie BU rated 62 overall shouldn't come in and finish the season with 70% and 280 out of 400. And that right now seems to be what is happening. When simming an entire season, nearly all the starting QB's have a completion percentage of 66 to 70. And for some unknown reason, When a BU QB comes in a game; He plays far better than the starter. I Haven't figured that one out.

Khaliib and Roadman had some good suggestions. To test my settings and ratings I use different teams but play the same team two teams against each other 6 times. I usually play to mid 4th qt.. I then stop the game, check all the stats, write them down, Exit game and start it over. For example, I took Roadman's advice. Last night I set all the slider setting to default 50 on all pro. I played two games that way, and then the only change I made was I set the QB slider to 100 for two games and then 0 for two games. All the outcomes as far as QB stats and percentages were very close but to my surprise the 2 games set at 100 were both lower. For some reason, the QB's were not as accurate at the 100 range. Could be coincidence.

Today I tried something different I set all the sliders back to 50 for both human and CPU. I reduced the tackling slider to 45 trying to get a better run game. Then I figured if I increased the pass coverage, which would make it a little harder for the QB to complete passes. I saw a little difference in the game play at 65.. So I jumped pass coverage up to 75.. What a huge difference, Balls were getting batted away, Both QBs were over and under throwing. In both games neither QB completed 60% of their passes. The down fall was there was an increase of interceptions, 6 in one game and sacks increased I guess because the QB's could not find open receivers. And it opened up the running game a little. What I found more interesting, the Starting QB's way out preformed the backups.

So tomorrow I will try two different teams and see if I get the same result. I will try to find a sweet spot, but the real difference kicked in at 75.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:28 AM   #44
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveCluby
When simming an entire season, nearly all the starting QB's have a completion percentage of 66 to 70.
Are you using a base EA roster? Because that really shouldn't be happening. That's odd.

I'm usually not one to say uninstall/reinstall but those numbers are so far from the norm.

edit: idk if you had done multiple franchise sims, maybe it was just one bad year?
Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by underdog13; 12-16-2016 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #45
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys. To set the record straight, all of my testing is done in CPU vs. CPU. Of course I am a human owned team, but to test, I let the CPU do it all. I feel this is the only way to get a true rating and slider setting. If you play H2H throw the ball or control your QB, depending on how good you are with the controller, it can change everything. A great joy stick player so to speak can make a 50 overall rated QB play like a 90 rated QB. If I tried to play that way it would have a reverse affect. I would never complete a pass.

Even when playing POTM, I just call the play. I am strictly a COACH MODE STYLE PLAYER. So I guess I would be considered a simmer, except I watch my games or call the plays.

In my mind getting the CPU to play a realistic style of game is my objective. If TOM BRADY, a 90 overall rated QB plays half the season and has a completion percentage of 70%. Completes 280 pass out of 400. Then he gets hurt, His rookie BU rated 62 overall shouldn't come in and finish the season with 70% and 280 out of 400. And that right now seems to be what is happening. When simming an entire season, nearly all the starting QB's have a completion percentage of 66 to 70. And for some unknown reason, When a BU QB comes in a game; He plays far better than the starter. I Haven't figured that one out.

Khaliib and Roadman had some good suggestions. To test my settings and ratings I use different teams but play the same team two teams against each other 6 times. I usually play to mid 4th qt.. I then stop the game, check all the stats, write them down, Exit game and start it over. For example, I took Roadman's advice. Last night I set all the slider setting to default 50 on all pro. I played two games that way, and then the only change I made was I set the QB slider to 100 for two games and then 0 for two games. All the outcomes as far as QB stats and percentages were very close but to my surprise the 2 games set at 100 were both lower. For some reason, the QB's were not as accurate at the 100 range. Could be coincidence.

Today I tried something different I set all the sliders back to 50 for both human and CPU. I reduced the tackling slider to 45 trying to get a better run game. Then I figured if I increased the pass coverage, which would make it a little harder for the QB to complete passes. I saw a little difference in the game play at 65.. So I jumped pass coverage up to 75.. What a huge difference, Balls were getting batted away, Both QBs were over and under throwing. In both games neither QB completed 60% of their passes. The down fall was there was an increase of interceptions, 6 in one game and sacks increased I guess because the QB's could not find open receivers. And it opened up the running game a little. What I found more interesting, the Starting QB's way out preformed the backups.

So tomorrow I will try two different teams and see if I get the same result. I will try to find a sweet spot, but the real difference kicked in at 75.
While CPU vs CPU testing has its merit, there is a small problem for users. Clint has been on record pointing out that user controlled players always get a boost. This could cloud the results somewhat for players who use the sticks (although all it should reqlly do in theory is shift the origin on the axis a ways).

Still, CPU vs CPU is porbably the most sterile testing environment you will get for this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #46
Pro

OVR: 2

Yes Roadman, I believe it was the updated EA roster from week ten. I have tried them all and I have re-installed several times. Yes, when I test full season sims I usually go up to five years and compare. I do create 5 players, or edit five players for myself and my friends.

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞, you are exactly correct. Here's the thing about testing and using other peoples slider settings. We all play the game differently, we all have our own personal expectations and needs of how we want the game to play. Some of us are stat freaks, some are arcade style, and some just want to be entertained and could care less about realism. Some are pure simmers, some are hard core thumb jocks, some play online and never plays offline franchise, and vice Versa. I am the vice versa. I never play online and only PLAY OFFLINE FRANCHISE. That's why we have so many different responses. Some could care less about the punting issue; some could care less about the QB acc. What works for and is important to me is not necessarily important to you. As you said, thumb jocks and CPU vs. CPU play are two complete different animals.

I am a stat freak, I want to get as close to realism as possible. I want to Coach and watch my games play out as if I am watching a real NFL game on TV. I realize that this is a video game and that is never going to happen, but I also know that I am not going to see constant 25 yd punts into the wind. I am not going to see a BU QB playing like Tom Brady consistently. Sure on occasion but not every game. I can live with some of the flaws in this game, I just consider them flukes and strange things happen in the NFL. But the punting issue does not. It is a huge part of the FB game and drives me crazy.

It is a game changer and changes the outcome of many games. This affects both Human and CPU and EA should have addressed this immediately. It is simply UN-excusable.

So the bottom line is, I spend hours and hours testing, far more time than playing. But the tests I run are for me personally trying to get the game to play to my needs and expectations. My needs are for CPU vs. CPU and POTM to give me somewhat realistic stats and a reasonable fundamental FB game. If my findings help someone who plays like I do, that would be awesome, But they may not suit others style of play. That is why I believe there should be separate threads for On-line, Off-line, Simm, CPU style, and thumb Jocks. Because the game play in those situations are as different as night and day.

The one thing we all seem to have in common is we all love FB and just want a great FB game and as almost everyone agrees; we need two different styles of games. Or at least sliders that give us total control to tune the game to or own satisfaction. So I will continue to test and post results of what I find, if anything and if it helps someone, that would be great. But to be clear I am testing CPU vs. CPU. And I am always interested to hear what others are experiencing.

Last edited by CleveCluby; 12-16-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #47
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

Quote:
Yes Roadman, I believe it was the updated EA roster from week ten. I have tried them all and I have re-installed several times. Yes, when I test full season sims I usually go up to five years and compare. I do create 5 players, or edit five players for myself and my friends.

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞, you are exactly correct. Here's the thing about testing and using other peoples slider settings. We all play the game differently, we all have our own personal expectations and needs of how we want the game to play. Some of us are stat freaks, some are arcade style, and some just want to be entertained and could care less about realism. Some are pure simmers, some are hard core thumb jocks, some play online and never plays offline franchise, and vice Versa. I am the vice versa. I never play online and only PLAY OFFLINE FRANCHISE. That's why we have so many different responses. Some could care less about the punting issue; some could care less about the QB acc. What works for and is important to me is not necessarily important to you. As you said, thumb jocks and CPU vs. CPU play are two complete different animals.

I am a stat freak, I want to get as close to realism as possible. I want to Coach and watch my games play out as if I am watching a real NFL game on TV. I realize that this is a video game and that is never going to happen, but I also know that I am not going to see constant 25 yd punts into the wind. I am not going to see a BU QB playing like Tom Brady consistently. Sure on occasion but not every game. I can live with some of the flaws in this game, I just consider them flukes and strange things happen in the NFL. But the punting issue does not. It is a huge part of the FB game and drives me crazy.

It is a game changer and changes the outcome of many games. This affects both Human and CPU and EA should have addressed this immediately. It is simply UN-excusable.

So the bottom line is, I spend hours and hours testing, far more time than playing. But the tests I run are for me personally trying to get the game to play to my needs and expectations. My needs are for CPU vs. CPU and POTM to give me somewhat realistic stats and a reasonable fundamental FB game. If my findings help someone who plays like I do, that would be awesome, But they may not suit others style of play. That is why I believe there should be separate threads for On-line, Off-line, Simm, CPU style, and thumb Jocks. Because the game play in those situations are as different as night and day.

The one thing we all seem to have in common is we all love FB and just want a great FB game and as almost everyone agrees; we need two different styles of games. Or at least sliders that give us total control to tune the game to or own satisfaction.
We just need freaking sliders that work!

QBA has been broken for a long time, and they dont seem to have any intention of fixing it. They are "Looking" into it while spending all there time and resources releasing updates and patches for MUT.
Old 12-16-2016, 02:14 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 21

Cleve,

I play cpu vs cpu and coach only mode which is what your posting was all about. I have not played in a while due to the Punt and QB Acc issues but if I get back into it would be glad to help.

C

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »