Home

Custom Playbook

This is a discussion on Custom Playbook within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #9
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Custom Playbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Our league had this debate back when they added custom playbooks back to madden.Here is my take on it:

1- Real life coaches are not forced to use someone elses , personally made playbooks ( EX. cards playbook used by pats coach) .Real life coaches get to hand pick the plays they want in their playbooks to match how they want to play. So its sim , IMO, to have custom playbooks for coaches to use.

2- Then comes the arugement of , but people will put money plays in them and use them to win. Guess what, if someone is that low a person to do that, then if you dont allow custom playbooks, they will google and find the playbooks that has the largest amount of money plays in them and use those. They wont run them all game, they will run them a few times to get a lead, and if things get tight or need a first down, its coming out. People who pull bs like that, its a character issue ,not a playbook one. They will study the money plays and learn them by heart. Either way they gonna use em, if you have people like that in your league. Custom books or not, they will be at an advantage due to basically knowing how to screw with AI.

So why limit everyone to not having their personal choice of plays , when in reality if someone is going to use money plays , they just have poor character and will be doing that along with trying to skirt all the rules you have in place to try to ensure fair gameplay.

So to me , its a no brainer. Use em.
Great points. We allow custom books in SOS, but they are restricted. You can't add any formation that isn't already in the book, and you can only add up to 2 sets total. You can add/subtract any plays from the sets that are already in. This allows for guys to mold their book a bit, but limits it in a way that, we think, doesn't allow for complete construction of an unstoppable book.

Watch me play video games
Old 01-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #10
MVP

underdog13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Our league had this debate back when they added custom playbooks back to madden.Here is my take on it:

1- Real life coaches are not forced to use someone elses , personally made playbooks ( EX. cards playbook used by pats coach) .Real life coaches get to hand pick the plays they want in their playbooks to match how they want to play. So its sim , IMO, to have custom playbooks for coaches to use.

2- Then comes the arugement of , but people will put money plays in them and use them to win. Guess what, if someone is that low a person to do that, then if you dont allow custom playbooks, they will google and find the playbooks that has the largest amount of money plays in them and use those. They wont run them all game, they will run them a few times to get a lead, and if things get tight or need a first down, its coming out. People who pull bs like that, its a character issue ,not a playbook one. They will study the money plays and learn them by heart. Either way they gonna use em, if you have people like that in your league. Custom books or not, they will be at an advantage due to basically knowing how to screw with AI.

So why limit everyone to not having their personal choice of plays , when in reality if someone is going to use money plays , they just have poor character and will be doing that along with trying to skirt all the rules you have in place to try to ensure fair gameplay.

So to me , its a no brainer. Use em.
I like this thinking. Makes sense.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #11
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

We don't allow custom PBs on offense but do on defense.

I understand the arguments for custom PBs on offense and don't disagree with many of the points. It's a lot more to monitor/manage, however I'd like us to eventually wind up in a place where I/we feel comfortable allowing them. The one or two biggest reasons I don't allow them in our league are rarely mentioned when discussing their merits.

RE: whether it's an unfair advantage--

This is a loaded questions. Were they illegal in your league? Then it's absolutely an unfair advantage and if you broke that rule, you cheated, plain & simple.

Were they legal? Then it's absolutely an advantage but an allowed one.

"Unfair" depends heavily on the circumstances. But they are absolutely an advantage in that it allows a high degree of customization and play-calling strength, mixing & matching all kinds of personnel packages, etc.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-20-2017, 02:06 PM   #12
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5

Very simple, custom PB's *DO NOT BREAK THE GAME* having a base PB means users will have less to defend as your options will be limited to a certain degree to what's in the specific book you are using.

Like a guys said above, there were ''money plays'' prior to, and it's simple minded to think that CPB's are the issue. No matter custom or default, the so called ''money plays'' are available. ANd like in CFM's past you end up with several users just using the same playbooks. Which leads to repetitive experiences game in and game out.

IMO if someone is against CPB's it's just a close-minded excuse to not have to come out of their comfort zones.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 PM   #13
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj_MyTime
IMO if someone is against CPB's it's just a close-minded excuse

*whoosh*

lol

Commissioner
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 01-21-2017, 08:40 AM   #14
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by blockdownkickout
Had a huge knock down drag out over this in a league. Is using a custom playbook without running money plays an unfair advantage? Explain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How could it be an unfair advantage if everyone else can make one too?

Furthermore, it's not like you're designing the plays. Any exploits would be available to everyone, and if you're not running money plays, I do not understand how it's an unfair advantage.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #15
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aestis
We don't allow custom PBs on offense but do on defense.

I understand the arguments for custom PBs on offense and don't disagree with many of the points. It's a lot more to monitor/manage, however I'd like us to eventually wind up in a place where I/we feel comfortable allowing them. The one or two biggest reasons I don't allow them in our league are rarely mentioned when discussing their merits.

RE: whether it's an unfair advantage--

This is a loaded questions. Were they illegal in your league? Then it's absolutely an unfair advantage and if you broke that rule, you cheated, plain & simple.

Were they legal? Then it's absolutely an advantage but an allowed one.

"Unfair" depends heavily on the circumstances. But they are absolutely an advantage in that it allows a high degree of customization and play-calling strength, mixing & matching all kinds of personnel packages, etc.
How is it an advantage if everyone in your league has access to all the very same plays to create their own custom playbook?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
How is it an advantage if everyone in your league has access to all the very same plays to create their own custom playbook?

You are confusing an advantage with an unfair advantage.

Using a custom playbook is an advantage. Whether it's unfair depends entirely on the rules of the league.

Commissioner
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »