Home

Madden NFL 18 on the Frostbite Engine: Reactions

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 18 on the Frostbite Engine: Reactions within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 PM   #57
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Madden NFL 18 on the Frostbite Engine: Reactions

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
I'm mostly interested in franchise mode changes and it sounds like with the focus on multiplayer and integrating a new engine, there probably won't be any.

There aren't many appealing parts to franchise mode right now. The AI trade logic/roster management/draft logic/depth chart logic are all really bad. The scouting system was a decent overhaul but was more a gimmick than anything, too easy to out draft the CPU. Everything is outdated (no comp picks, outdated formation sub system). The UI and overall presentation is horrendous. Frostbite isn't going to help with this.
Frostbite won't be uses for game modes. It will replace Ignite (which isn't an engine at all) for Gameplay only.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 AM   #58
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Frostbite won't be uses for game modes. It will replace Ignite (which isn't an engine at all) for Gameplay only.

I don't know that this is confirmed but it's an important point to say that switching to frostbite doesn't guarantee that everything will be reworked. I love the FIFA gameplay this year but they literally didn't touch a thing in career mode from the year before. All the logic and everything is the exact same.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:52 AM   #59
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

OVR: 0

I keep holding out hope from one console generation to the next, one engine overhaul to the next, that they'll pair up the most complete playable version of football in gaming history with the most complete franchise mode in gaming history.

Obviously, I've been a bit let down every year because of my ridiculously high expectations.

I just feel like Franchise mode is the meat of a sports game. I don't fault anyone for playing MUT or play online H2H as their source of enjoyment from these games, but for me I can't get "immersed" into anything but franchise mode.

I *have* to be in control of a team, trying the various combinations of strategy to field a team capable of winning the Super Bowl. I like going up against my close friends and family, but I also want the teams not fielded by those real people to be controlled by an AI that is worth its code.

Frostbite will undoubtedly be a better move for the gameplay of the game. I don't expect the game, however, to be perfect on the new engine for '18. I'm sure new AI issues on the field will arise, new glitches will rear their ugly head, and sometimes we'll probably say "why did they do this?"

But if they only have to work on improving the engine for '19, I can hold out hope that '19 will be the "year" for franchise to really get its deserved overhaul.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:24 AM   #60
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
I don't know that this is confirmed but it's an important point to say that switching to frostbite doesn't guarantee that everything will be reworked. I love the FIFA gameplay this year but they literally didn't touch a thing in career mode from the year before. All the logic and everything is the exact same.
Franchise mode has its own engine, specifically built around an event-calender system. Frostbite isn't built for any of that. It's built to ease work flow between assets, models, environments, and animations. FranTK is built for scheduling events and resolving them in a menu interface. Using frostbite would be, frankly, stupid.

My prediction on Frostbite's effect? Better lighting, better sidelines. Otherwise, very little difference.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:32 AM   #61
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Oh, andI don't mean that as a knock. It's going to take time to change the entire look of the game. Also, I think a lot of people hear "engine" and think that means the same as a car. An engine in gaming is nothing more than a unified toolset. It doesn't, in and of itself, change anything except streamline development and provide some baseline graphical tools. Frostbite does not, for instance, make AI or locomotion better.

-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #62
MVP

Madwolf's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Oh, andI don't mean that as a knock. It's going to take time to change the entire look of the game. Also, I think a lot of people hear "engine" and think that means the same as a car. An engine in gaming is nothing more than a unified toolset. It doesn't, in and of itself, change anything except streamline development and provide some baseline graphical tools. Frostbite does not, for instance, make AI or locomotion better.

Frostbite is going to bring a much better lighting system for sure. The game will look much better.

Now I do believe it's animation system and physics system is better too. So it can definitely affect the way Madden plays. Hopefully it allows them to make more noticeable differences in ratings in the trenches.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:18 PM   #63
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwolf
Frostbite is going to bring a much better lighting system for sure. The game will look much better.

Now I do believe it's animation system and physics system is better too. So it can definitely affect the way Madden plays. Hopefully it allows them to make more noticeable differences in ratings in the trenches.
I REALLY hope they take this opportunity to completely overhaul blocking, and yes, Frostbite could help a ton with that. I just think we're a year out.

That said, I know Clint is just dying to do it. I hope I'm wrong. I think M17 took massive strides forward, another leap like that... I may not need another sports game.

-Mark Twain.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:37 PM   #64
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
I REALLY hope they take this opportunity to completely overhaul blocking, and yes, Frostbite could help a ton with that. I just think we're a year out.

That said, I know Clint is just dying to do it. I hope I'm wrong. I think M17 took massive strides forward, another leap like that... I may not need another sports game.

Adem- Havent seen you around here in a while. Hope you are well. Do you feel block is more important than the movement/locomotion system?

I believe how the players move has been Maddens biggest Achilles heel since the transition to XBOX 360 in 06'. This includes both how the game looks and plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »