Home

Salary Cap penalty help

This is a discussion on Salary Cap penalty help within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Salary Cap penalty help

I need help understanding the breakup of The salary cap penalty I get for releasing a guy, does it all go against the year I'm in, or split between this year and next, and is it a 50/50 split?

My real need is because I'm in a league that's in like year 3 week 5 and no longer need Joe Flacco,. He has 4 years left of his 6 year deal, it had like 54 Mil guaranteed, and it says I'll get about a 36mil penalty. Will I just get that penalty now and be clear by offseason, or will it count for next year too?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Pro

Dj_MyTime's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Salary Cap penalty help

I'm honestly not sure (I believe it will be split over 2 seasons 50/50), but that cap hit is astronomical.

It would make more sense to at least wait until it's in the final two years before you release him. That way you can at least break even on cap relief, and the penalty. Because if you take that penalty now depending on the pending expiring deals you have coming up you may end up hurting your self more than you help yourself.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2047473988
Old 02-20-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

I'm pretty sure most of it will go against next seasons cap. Only the portion that applies to the current season will stay in the current year. In you case 3/4ths of the remaining bonus will hit next year.

I learned this the hardway when I released a player thinking I had cap room to absorb in current season, but most of the penalty hit in the next. Not sure if the real NFL works this way or not.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:30 PM   #4
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsWarrior
I need help understanding the breakup of The salary cap penalty I get for releasing a guy, does it all go against the year I'm in, or split between this year and next, and is it a 50/50 split?

My real need is because I'm in a league that's in like year 3 week 5 and no longer need Joe Flacco,. He has 4 years left of his 6 year deal, it had like 54 Mil guaranteed, and it says I'll get about a 36mil penalty. Will I just get that penalty now and be clear by offseason, or will it count for next year too?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
If you cut them during the season, the penalty is split up over 2 years. The current year, you will see the penalty relating to their bonus amount for that season (i.e. a $36M bonus on a 4 year contract, you cut them with 3 seasons left. The current season, you will have a $9M cap penalty). The next year will have the remaining bonus of the contract as the cap penalty ($18M in the example stated previously).

If you cut them in the offseason, the entirety of the cap penalty will be on the current season ($27M in the previous example).

I hope that helps.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »