Home

Problems with Wide Receivers

This is a discussion on Problems with Wide Receivers within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-10-2017, 11:12 AM   #1
Rookie

nyr30's Arena

OVR: 5
Problems with Wide Receivers

I am looking for a bit of advice to improve my passing game. I am noticing a very high amount of dropped balls from my wide receivers which is really frustrating. It isn't even the 50/50 contested balls that is the frustrating part because I know that those are low percentage plays but it is the ones when I'll pass to my reciever on a slant route or other play and he'll catch the ball when open then be tackled and drop it. This happens to me all the time and is something I very rarely see the cpu doing.

I am using JoshC1977's sliders and I love the game but this is really beginning to wear me down a bit because it's getting to the point where I don't feel I am being rewarded for my play.

I am playing a Dolphins franchise with my receivers being Landry, Stills and Parker and even Landry seems to treat the ball like a hot potato. I have also played a franchise using the Bears and had the exact same issue with Alshon Jeffery so I must be doing something wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Problems with Wide Receivers

Raise WR catching.

Another option is to use lead passing to steer your guys away from the defense. L2 throws the ball low and sometimes you can get WRs to go to the ground for catches. It obviously takes away YAC yards, but they won't drop it from being hit.

Watch me play video games
Old 03-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #3
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

What skill level you playing on, All-Pro, All-Madden?

What is your QB's Throw power and Accuracy for short and medium passes?

Receiver's Awareness?

An issue with Madden, especially on higher skill levels is, to replicate bad thrown passes, which don't happen in Madden because many people complain due to its appeared "randomness" is to just make hits cause knocks outs which creates incomplete passes and in return a QB appears to have a fairly accurate completion percentage to the NFL stats...It is a silly method IMO, but then again, so are the complaints about having bad passes based on QB ratings being too random; the whole game is based on chances modified by variables...
Old 03-10-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

As said above, improve catching for less non contested drops. Are you user catching or leaving the cpu? Check if they have the possession catch trait or not, that makes for better catches but at the detriment or big plays. Know your reads for different sets and always try to throw to the open man. Check if they have drops open passes trait too.

Sent from my F3111 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr30
I am looking for a bit of advice to improve my passing game. I am noticing a very high amount of dropped balls from my wide receivers which is really frustrating. It isn't even the 50/50 contested balls that is the frustrating part because I know that those are low percentage plays but it is the ones when I'll pass to my reciever on a slant route or other play and he'll catch the ball when open then be tackled and drop it. This happens to me all the time and is something I very rarely see the cpu doing.

I am using JoshC1977's sliders and I love the game but this is really beginning to wear me down a bit because it's getting to the point where I don't feel I am being rewarded for my play.

I am playing a Dolphins franchise with my receivers being Landry, Stills and Parker and even Landry seems to treat the ball like a hot potato. I have also played a franchise using the Bears and had the exact same issue with Alshon Jeffery so I must be doing something wrong.
Post slider set you are using and maybe one of us can help. In the mean time, on slants and other catches in traffic, hold down both triggers and hit X or Square to hit the deck after catch before defender hits you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2017, 07:50 PM   #6
Rookie

I had to deal with dropped passes in the last game I played, and that crap got old real quick. There were 3 or 4 times last game where instead of getting a first down, I had to punt because of a dropped pass.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
Rookie

nyr30's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodude
As said above, improve catching for less non contested drops. Are you user catching or leaving the cpu? Check if they have the possession catch trait or not, that makes for better catches but at the detriment or big plays. Know your reads for different sets and always try to throw to the open man. Check if they have drops open passes trait too.

I try to user catch but honestly the game moves at such a speed a lot of the time my fingers can't get up to speed before the receiver has made an attempt to catch the pass.

Not going to lie I find it hard sometimes following everything that is going on on screen. I try to hit the open man on the few occasions the cpu actually gives me an open man but a lot of the time I think my timing may be off. I am still learning the sport and the game so it's all very trial and error at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Post slider set you are using and maybe one of us can help. In the mean time, on slants and other catches in traffic, hold down both triggers and hit X or Square to hit the deck after catch before defender hits you.
See above

Fingers and eyes can't go fast enough to keep up with the play

Using JoshC1977's all-pro sliders

Last edited by nyr30; 03-11-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
MVP

Mattanite's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr30
I try to user catch but honestly the game moves at such a speed a lot of the time my fingers can't get up to speed before the receiver has made an attempt to catch the pass.

Not going to lie I find it hard sometimes following everything that is going on on screen. I try to hit the open man on the few occasions the cpu actually gives me an open man but a lot of the time I think my timing may be off. I am still learning the sport and the game so it's all very trial and error at the moment

See above

Fingers and eyes can't go fast enough to keep up with the play

Using JoshC1977's all-pro sliders
Try lowering the game speed, it will help you see the field post snap.

I make my reads pre snap and then go through my progression post snap-on normal speed. So if I don't have an ace oline and am having to go to my 3rd or 4th read I will be sacked or dump it off quickly. Like real football. Happy days.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »