Home

Custom Draft Classes

This is a discussion on Custom Draft Classes within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Custom Draft Classes

Hooe, adembroski, I get what you guys are saying. Yes, the bug last year is not the way we would want custom draft classes in the game. The exploit and competitive balance issue completely understood. I also get, but don't agree with, EA being lawsuit hyper-conscious. But why are the lawyers not concerned with the rosters that can be shared from the main menu and only the CFM ones? Guys make 'draft prospect rosters' every year. Just odd when the NBA game apparently is not concerned and they have the NCAA to deal with too.

But here's where I'm really lost. Why does EA have to make editing so cumbersome, especially in CFM? For example, say I want to dump the time into editing all the rookies, why did they remove the ability to have 'all' players visible together, global and position specific? Why did they remove the OVR tally in the edit ratings screen? This seems purposeful, since they were there all the way up until we finally had full editing power.

I think if putting in the ability to edit draft classes beforehand is a problem, then at least making noticeable effort to make the process easier afterward should be a priority. A global editor would make a lot of people happy and bridge much of the gap. And how about a user-friendly editing screen to eliminate all the button pressing and going backward to go forward?

EA gives the impression to me that they say "just give them the darn full edit back so they stop asking for it; check in the box" instead of putting it back in with the mindset of asking "what would someone who is editing rosters/rookies need and want; what makes this feature 'user-friendly'?"
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #26
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
Hooe, adembroski, I get what you guys are saying. Yes, the bug last year is not the way we would want custom draft classes in the game. The exploit and competitive balance issue completely understood. I also get, but don't agree with, EA being lawsuit hyper-conscious. But why are the lawyers not concerned with the rosters that can be shared from the main menu and only the CFM ones? Guys make 'draft prospect rosters' every year. Just odd when the NBA game apparently is not concerned and they have the NCAA to deal with too.

But here's where I'm really lost. Why does EA have to make editing so cumbersome, especially in CFM? For example, say I want to dump the time into editing all the rookies, why did they remove the ability to have 'all' players visible together, global and position specific? Why did they remove the OVR tally in the edit ratings screen? This seems purposeful, since they were there all the way up until we finally had full editing power.

I think if putting in the ability to edit draft classes beforehand is a problem, then at least making noticeable effort to make the process easier afterward should be a priority. A global editor would make a lot of people happy and bridge much of the gap. And how about a user-friendly editing screen to eliminate all the button pressing and going backward to go forward?

EA gives the impression to me that they say "just give them the darn full edit back so they stop asking for it; check in the box" instead of putting it back in with the mindset of asking "what would someone who is editing rosters/rookies need and want; what makes this feature 'user-friendly'?"
Yes!

The most time consuming aspect of editing a player is selecting the right college. If a prospect is from Penn State, but I want to edit him to being from Alabama, I have to toggle through for almost a solid minute to get all the way around alphabetically.

I am grateful that we can once again fully edit players in CFM. However, they really need to streamline the process, as well as allow more editing features (specifically editing a players build).

I don't know if "full" player editing was implemented into Madden 17 with the idea of adding real prospects after the draft. Because even editing players post draft takes a lot of effort having to edit players by what team they were draft by.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:11 PM   #27
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
Lawyers (not to mention executives and marketers) are not gamers. I would expect they allow custom rosters because they aren't really aware that the issue could exist. You know how clueless non-gamers can be about gaming, they just haven't put 2 and 2 together in that respect.

Again, NBA 2k is less concerned because nobody's sued them over it yet. EA has had to deal with it on more than one occasion.

Quote:
Because of the CFM architecture. There are a lot of advantages too it, but there are two things it doesn't do well; display a lot of data at once, and calculate in real time in a menu. I know that sounds really specific, but it's because of the way the whole framework manages data. The rest of the game uses SQL, but CFM is proprietary. It has a completely different DB manager. They were limitations we knew of and had to accept because of the advantages that do come with it. Nature of the beast.

To get into why would likely be a violation of my NDA, but it was a sacrifice we knew we were making going into building it.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 06-25-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #28
MVP

It seems pretty simple to solve the competitive advantage problem. Just give the option to allow or not allow editing at the start of a cfm. I also don't see fear of lawsuits over the edits that eND users make to be legitimate. They better call saul.
Old 06-26-2017, 11:42 AM   #29
Rookie

Allball76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toupal
One thing that 2k did to expand upon their custom draft classes that I think a lot of people (especially online) would use is the ability to fluctuate ratings.

So for example, if you go through and create and share a draft class, when you download it, it gives you the options use the actual ratings that were created, or it will mix them up.

So for example, if Myles Garrett was an 84 overall, the fluctuate his ratings so he would either be an 86 overall or even a 77 overall.

So that way you still get the draft class you want, but still have the surprise element of ratings and whether or not that player will be a boom or bust. Scouting is still very relevant and important with that option.

This is what we need ! Then it's back to option. If you want the same draft class for yourself offline same ratings great , and if your in a 32 man league you want it to change to random!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-29-2017, 07:15 AM   #30
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

Hyperbole much?
It's not really hyperbole, MUT really is the main focus every year and this is where more of the changes are seen and where the "best" improvements are first implemented. It is the same with FIFA as well, it's just normal business thinking; invest the most where you can get the best return on your investment.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #31
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinBlues
It's not really hyperbole, MUT really is the main focus every year and this is where more of the changes are seen and where the "best" improvements are first implemented. It is the same with FIFA as well, it's just normal business thinking; invest the most where you can get the best return on your investment.

His explanation and reasoning was a hyperbole lol

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 1

still want to see no OVR of a rookie until after his rookie season. every couple of weeks in their first season, a few attributes are unlocked. at the end of year, you might find out your top ten WR is 66 OVR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »