Home

Madden 18 Defense - Does It win Championships?

This is a discussion on Madden 18 Defense - Does It win Championships? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2017, 12:39 AM   #17
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Madden 18 Defense - Does It win Championships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
Harris Jr, with a M2M of 97 should be able to recover quickly enough, even after getting beat on a press, to at least be rather close to most receivers; based on the M2M rating; now if speed and acceleration are considered, I guess he wouldn't catch up after being beat.. BUT

Using Press and getting beat in M17 was an almost automatic TD, so this is something that potentially hasn't been fixed since the last iteration.
I agree! Corners in the NFL rarely get beat like that and can recover quickly not to mention it being who it is in Harris. I'd go for that if it was Brandon Browner or something... Look at the video I posted above though that was a good video of man coverage in 18 and it gave me hope! LOL! Here is speed and access though for both Cooper and Harris...

Amari Cooper 92 speed & 89 Accel
Chris Harris Jr. 91 Speed & 90 Accel
Old 08-12-2017, 01:02 AM   #18
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I agree! Corners in the NFL rarely get beat like that and can recover quickly not to mention it being who it is in Harris. I'd go for that if it was Brandon Browner or something... Look at the video I posted above though that was a good video of man coverage in 18 and it gave me hope! LOL! Here is speed and access though for both Cooper and Harris...

Amari Cooper 92 speed & 89 Accel
Chris Harris Jr. 91 Speed & 90 Accel
The video you posted showed some great M2M coverage..That is what man cover should look like, where the DB is in the top tier or has a big numbers win.

Harris and Cooper are so close, speed and acel, that on the press beat Harris shouldn't catch up per se, but harris maybe shouldn't have gotten beat as bad as CB's were beat on M17, IMO.

and there is only a 4 point difference between press and release; I believe Clint said that the larger the number difference, especially after a 5 points and onward there is an exponential win result increase? Though the context was OL vs DL

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 08-12-2017 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:21 AM   #19
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
The video you posted showed some great M2M coverage..That is what man cover should look like, where the DB is in the top tier or has a big numbers win.

Harris and Cooper are so close, speed and acel, that on the press beat Harris shouldn't catch up per se, but harris maybe shouldn't have gotten beat as bad as CB's were beat on M17, IMO.

and there is only a 4 point difference between press and release; I believe Clint said that the larger the number difference, especially after a 5 points and onward there is an exponential win result increase? Though the context was OL vs DL
This whole video of the Seahawks defense in man was great! I regress on man to man if it can play like this all the time. Granted I believe the Seahawks have Chris Harris and Sherman.

I found this video of Madden 18 with great man to man play (1st I've seen like this). The Seahawks team ran man most every play all game. Turn this video to 1:05 mark. This is the type of man defense I want to see... They are playing the drag and out route close. No stuck in animation... Then at 1:22 mark more of the same. 2:06 on the play action. The 2:30 mark with a nice bump and recover on streaks. 4:00mark. At the 5:59 mark I like the bump animations and recover for a loss on the bump. At the 6:07 mark this could be my favorite as the WR ran a post after being bumped. Sherman recovered and was in position to make a play and swat at it even though it was a completion. This is what it should always look like IMO. This is what I want from my corners and defense in man to man! The 7:30 mark on the out route is what always happens though. It's almost automatic 99% of the time with no chance of making a play for the CB. This video gives me hope though! I wonder what the difference in this video compared to the others is? All Madden difficulty? Competitive gameplay? Elite players?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jy6oyBWKrI
Old 08-12-2017, 03:15 AM   #20
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
This whole video of the Seahawks defense in man was great! I regress on man to man if it can play like this all the time. Granted I believe the Seahawks have Chris Harris and Sherman.

I found this video of Madden 18 with great man to man play (1st I've seen like this). The Seahawks team ran man most every play all game. Turn this video to 1:05 mark. This is the type of man defense I want to see... They are playing the drag and out route close. No stuck in animation... Then at 1:22 mark more of the same. 2:06 on the play action. The 2:30 mark with a nice bump and recover on streaks. 4:00mark. At the 5:59 mark I like the bump animations and recover for a loss on the bump. At the 6:07 mark this could be my favorite as the WR ran a post after being bumped. Sherman recovered and was in position to make a play and swat at it even though it was a completion. This is what it should always look like IMO. This is what I want from my corners and defense in man to man! The 7:30 mark on the out route is what always happens though. It's almost automatic 99% of the time with no chance of making a play for the CB. This video gives me hope though! I wonder what the difference in this video compared to the others is? All Madden difficulty? Competitive gameplay? Elite players?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jy6oyBWKrI

That is some great game play in man cover...Maybe cooper vs harris was just harris having a bad game as far as dice rolls against cooper? maybe cooper was having a great game, or it could be that some work on press is still needed

Either way I look forward to testing this out and seeing how it all ends up.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:50 AM   #21
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

My biggest issues with defense are 1) no awareness on outbreaking routes. Flags, outs, deep outs, c routes, and drags are ALWAYS open no matter what defenses out call or adjustments you make.

2) zone ai more specifically that even when the an has thrown the ball I still have guys back pedaling or sitting flat footed in their zone instead of making a break on the receiver or the ball.

The point of zone defense is that you have your coverage guys looking at the qb, as soon as he starts his throwing motion defenders are supposed to break, this doesn't happen in madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #22
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I would like to try shading outside because Rex has said that the shading works. I wonder how well the CPU shades now, if at all; they apparently Press.

I wonder, in regards to the Cooper v. HArris plays, if that was press or run commit, because Lynch was running good, or a mix of press/run commit?

I like what clint said about pass rush not being effective because the rosters are balanced in the videos..

^^^ That makes me ask, did HArris get beat because Harris' ratings are "balanced" out and thus he isn't really playing with a 97 M2M rating etc?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #23
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I have noticed that the best game play videos, IMO, seem to be from Competitive mode, which concerns me that maybe stamina is dropping too fast in Sim mode, or maybe dropping more for defense than offense?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:06 PM   #24
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
I have noticed that the best game play videos, IMO, seem to be from Competitive mode, which concerns me that maybe stamina is dropping too fast in Sim mode, or maybe dropping more for defense than offense?
As far as man to man go's I agree the better videos have been in competitive. That worries me as I like the gameplay outside of man to man with the sim setting. Wonder why that is? I really liked the user vs user toke video too to get an idea of what online games would look like but that was on competitive too. If sim setting can get that man to man results I'd be ecstatic. Lights had a good video as well with some strategy in it that gave a good idea what it will look like head to head. Stuff like loading the box to stuff the run, a little coaching adjustments, etc.

I feel bad for offline guys. I'm 80/20 32 team online league to offline CFM guy. But lack of cpu defense, horrible playcalling, statue qb's, no smart AI, and no difference between teams is awful. Not to mention all the sliders adjustments, playbook changes, & player editing to get it right before you can even enjoy it! ALL BAD!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »