Home

A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their offense

This is a discussion on A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their offense within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their off

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSABOx
One thing I'd like to point out.. always remember in sports that its not about the X's and O's but the Jimmy's and Joe's.. Like I said I learned a lot from Mike Martz and he's the one I realized that its not the system its the talent...
It is always a mix, and the exact ratios vary depending on which scheme we are talking about. For example how good would Pete Carroll's defense be without Earl Thomas? And good luck trying to run a zone run scheme with lumbering maulers.

On the other hand scheme's like the west coast offense don't have as much of a talent requirement (so long as we agree that in this context communication and football smarts is not a talent)

You can also have two coaches with identical schemes with identical players that have very different levels of success. This is not an issue in Madden, but communication and teaching are just as important in real life.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 PM   #18
All Star

OVR: 13
Re: A good read I first discovered many years ago that could some guys with their off

This is a great thread, and appreciate everyone for posting the links to the football theories/explanations. I'm endlessly fascinated by this stuff, and all the posted links in here are worth a read-through. I especially loved the discussion of the "levels" play - it really reminds me of the passing analog to the read-option (which, schematically, is my single favorite play of all time).
Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 PM   #19
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
(quick note: I always roll my eyes in the offense advice threads because inevitably you will get some well meaning poster say "mix up your playcalls, don't call the same stuff." Such comments are often accompanied by claims that calling any one play more than an handful of times in a game is "not sim." Pay special attention to the second article where it is stated that Peyton runs levels usually 10 times a game, and sometimes as often as 20. Peyton's offense was not sim)
Just gonna comment on this part, but the reason calling the same play/play type over and over in Madden is annoying is because your CPU teammates don't learn and anticipate. They'll react to the play the same exact way every time it's called. That's obviously not what humans do.

Good stuff in the rest of the thread.

Watch me play video games
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Just gonna comment on this part, but the reason calling the same play/play type over and over in Madden is annoying is because your CPU teammates don't learn and anticipate. They'll react to the play the same exact way every time it's called. That's obviously not what humans do.

Good stuff in the rest of the thread.
You are absolutely correct on this, but there is a difference between calling different plays for the sake of calling different plays and calling plays over and over without regard to scheme/system (i.e. money plays).

If it is second and medium/short the chances are very high you will see either spacing or z-spot out of a bunch set when you play me. I don't care if I already called either play 5 times.

I don't like money plays, but I also don't like artificial quotas on plays. That is all I was getting at.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:25 AM   #21
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

Came across this video tonight, and remembered this thread and the question on Shanhan's offense.

Excellent video and thanks to Roadman for alerting me to this guy's channel.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #22
Rookie

loadedlux's Arena

OVR: 0

I never had issues with coming up with basic passing concepts to beat a variety of coverages, coming up with running concepts has always been the problem.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »