Home

Does Madden NFL 18's Ultimate Team Perpetuate Money Plays?

This is a discussion on Does Madden NFL 18's Ultimate Team Perpetuate Money Plays? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: Does Madden NFL 18's Ultimate Team Perpetuate Money Plays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datninja619
Hard to disguise coverage when they are shown after the play

Showing a play after doesn't have anything to do with it. That's not a matter of disguising a coverage that is hiding a play which is different. You can figure out coverage by checking the CB alignment then rolling your eyes to a safety post snap relatively easily. There needs to be more plays where they bluff the coverage and drop from different alignments pre snap. There are some in game but not nearly enough for the chess match people are looking for.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:19 PM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:

The point of disguising coverages isn't to hide what you are doing post-snap but rather to prevent your opponent from identifying what you are doing pre-snap. You do this to avoid him making easy pre-snap checks to beat your defense.

Some examples as to how you can disguise your coverages in Madden:
  • you can call plays such as Cover 3 Show 2 and Cover 4 Show 2 to disguise your coverage
  • if you show blitz while in a two-high coverage, one of your safeties will approach the line of scrimmage, changing your defense to a single-high look while not changing your two-high coverage of choice
  • if you base align while in a single-high look against a balanced formation (Triangle / Y then D-Pad right), you can back up the strong safety to a two-high look while still playing whatever single-high coverage you called
  • if you're playing against a trips left set and you are in zone coverage, you can use Man Align (Triangle then R1 / Y then RB) to put your RCB over top of the closest slot receiver to show a man coverage look while maintaining the zone play call (and all your players' coverage assignments will shift appropriately to account for a defender moving across the formation)
  • you can use individual coverage assignments (Triangle then X / Y then A) to move around specific defenders relative to receivers; you can back off your LCB and make your RCB press to show a Cover 6 look, back off both your CBs to show a Cover 4 look, press your CBs to show a Cover 1 / Cover 2 look, bring up a safety / nickel CB and back up the perimeter CBs to show a Cover 3 look, etc.
Yes, your opponent will see what you called after the fact, but the point is to fool him pre-snap. It does not matter that he can see what you're calling post-snap if he can't identify it pre-snap, which leads to him making the wrong pre-snap read, checking into a bad play, and either throwing to the wrong guy or panicking when his target isn't there and taking a sack. Of course, if you are calling the same coverage every time regardless what you disguise it as a smart opponent will catch on, so you'll need to mix up play calling as well to really get the most out of your defense.

As a side note, I wish there were better commands to disguise coverages easier. My favorite feature of APF 2K8 was the ability to change the defense's pre-snap coverage shell. It's possible to achieve the same results in M18 if you're good on the sticks, but I'd like to see that get into the game someday in an easy-to-use fashion.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 10-03-2017 at 07:04 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #11
MVP

Datninja619's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

As a side note, I wish there were better commands to disguise coverages easier. My favorite feature of APF 2K8 was the ability to change the defense's pre-snap coverage shell. It's possible to achieve the same results in M18 if you're good on the sticks, but I'd like to see that get into the game someday in an easy-to-use fashion.
THIS is more along the lines of what I expect to be able to disguise a coverage. Edit : Disguise a defensive play

I've always been a believer in the need to allow a defense to be called this way:
Personnel > Alignment > Stunt/Game > Blitz (IF desired) > coverage

So I could call - Dime Ted (DT and DE stunt as example) Nickle blitz Cover 3 show 2.

Currently it's a race between defense to make alignment and DB hot routes and the Offense to hike the ball. That's not including fiddling with players that don't want to stay where you align them either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by Datninja619; 10-03-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I don't blame MUT.

Many gamers have the mindset that if you are not winning it is not fun. The foremost goal for them in any game is to win. This mindset predates MUT and if anything, MUT was born out of this mindset rather than creating it.

I remember one example from many years ago with playing Madden with friends. May have been around Madden 10, not sure. One of them discovered an exploit that allowed than to block any kick ~80% of the time. The second or third time he did it to me I was annoyed and chastised him for the way he played (he used every cheese tactic available to him, like moving the DE to basically where the slot corner would be then just turboing past the line, or literally running around in circles before the snap then coming in unblocked for a sack). Out of the 5 of us, two felt that that is not how you play football games and the other 3 said its a videogame that they are trying to win. The 3 just could not grasp why we would limit ourselves instead of doing everything to win.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I don't blame MUT.

Many gamers have the mindset that if you are not winning it is not fun. The foremost goal for them in any game is to win. This mindset predates MUT and if anything, MUT was born out of this mindset rather than creating it.

I remember one example from many years ago with playing Madden with friends. May have been around Madden 10, not sure. One of them discovered an exploit that allowed than to block any kick ~80% of the time. The second or third time he did it to me I was annoyed and chastised him for the way he played (he used every cheese tactic available to him, like moving the DE to basically where the slot corner would be then just turboing past the line, or literally running around in circles before the snap then coming in unblocked for a sack). Out of the 5 of us, two felt that that is not how you play football games and the other 3 said its a videogame that they are trying to win. The 3 just could not grasp why we would limit ourselves instead of doing everything to win.
People repeat what works. That is why we complain about video games instead of paint animals on the walls of caves.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:33 PM   #14
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

This is obviously tangential to the original topic, but it stuns me that competitive Madden and almost all leagues play with previous play on. I would never play in any setting that didn't turn have it turned off.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #15
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This is obviously tangential to the original topic, but it stuns me that competitive Madden and almost all leagues play with previous play on. I would never play in any setting that didn't turn have it turned off.
Devil's advocate: is Previous Play much different from having an eye-in-the-sky offensive / defensive coordinator telling you what your opponent last ran from the booth, as to try and help pick up on your opponent's tendencies?

Personally the feature is not that offensive to me and I've honestly never even considered turning it off for any league I've run, but I understand that reasonable minds can beg to differ.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Just so happens that I made a comment regarding this issue in another thread before I saw your post.

May I ask, why do you feel it should be turned off?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »