Home

Why I Won’t be Buying Madden 19 (Opinion)

This is a discussion on Why I Won’t be Buying Madden 19 (Opinion) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 03:38 AM   #1
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

OVR: 0
Why I Won’t be Buying Madden 19 (Opinion)

Which is worse: incompetence or apathy? What if you put those two together and made it into a cocktail?

I think you’d have Madden 18. And maybe the last few installments.

Enough is enough. I don’t need Ryan Moody to realize that this game is the ME: Andromeda of football games and quite possibly of all sports titles. Is it pretty to look at? Sure, sometimes. But its’ actual performance is ugly, and that’s not even considering the slap in the face to offline guys. Note: I play both offline and online. It’s sad what the former has experienced with the abomination known as Connected Franchise, a decent concept executed with the precision of a Garo Yupremian pass.

It’s the end of the NFL season and there are *still* issues that haven’t been resolved. Safeties are pretty much braindead in most cover schemes, or they are, as what I like to call, Super Safeties. They can smell a ball in the air from three miles and turn into the Flash just to defend it. Running-backs make Trent Richardson look like a god. Offensive linemen become turnstiles at the zoo and blow their assignment, some not even going into animations. I’m over exaggerating at this point, but it’s gotten to the point where Madden is the punchline in most jokes about sports games.

“Wait!” some might say. “They had a pretty good single player story in Longshot!”

Unlikeable characters. Ham-fisted dialogue. Four hours to complete. My man Dan Marino sounds like he’d rather be reliving that 62-7 blow out against Jacksonville. Again, good concept. Executed with the precision of a Robert Aguayo 35-yarder.

The game breaks itself to make games competitive. No, no, it makes too much sense to have Ezekiel Elliott burst through the open whole. Let’s have him run into the back of his linemen for five minutes on 3rd down just to give the other team a chance. Aaron Rodgers has two timeouts and 1:50 left? Let’s have him throw into double coverage for three straight plays until the football gods finally punish him with an interception on the fourth.

Sure, this can happen on any given Sunday, but in Madden, this happens on every Sunday. Players have no personality to their playing style. Antonio Brown’s not gonna make that spectacular catch over a defender. I’ve never seen a game where animations reign supreme over actual ratings. A 69 OVR corner can shut down an 88 OVR WR. I’ve seen it happen.

At this point, Madden isn’t an NFL simulator. It’s not even a football simulation. It’s an insult to those who grew up playing, watching, and loving the game. I can’t stand by this anymore. This franchise was, in it’s heyday, a worthy, immersing, and enjoyable experience. Now? I’m sorry to say it, but I think Madden’s hit the bottom of the tank. It is the Cleveland Browns of the AAA sports game. And just like Cleveland, they’re keeping the same people that have failed the fans over and over again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
MVP

Toupal's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Why I Won’t be Buying Madden 19 (Opinion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Which is worse: incompetence or apathy? What if you put those two together and made it into a cocktail?

I think you’d have Madden 18. And maybe the last few installments.

Enough is enough. I don’t need Ryan Moody to realize that this game is the ME: Andromeda of football games and quite possibly of all sports titles. Is it pretty to look at? Sure, sometimes. But its’ actual performance is ugly, and that’s not even considering the slap in the face to offline guys. Note: I play both offline and online. It’s sad what the former has experienced with the abomination known as Connected Franchise, a decent concept executed with the precision of a Garo Yupremian pass.

It’s the end of the NFL season and there are *still* issues that haven’t been resolved. Safeties are pretty much braindead in most cover schemes, or they are, as what I like to call, Super Safeties. They can smell a ball in the air from three miles and turn into the Flash just to defend it. Running-backs make Trent Richardson look like a god. Offensive linemen become turnstiles at the zoo and blow their assignment, some not even going into animations. I’m over exaggerating at this point, but it’s gotten to the point where Madden is the punchline in most jokes about sports games.

“Wait!” some might say. “They had a pretty good single player story in Longshot!”

Unlikeable characters. Ham-fisted dialogue. Four hours to complete. My man Dan Marino sounds like he’d rather be reliving that 62-7 blow out against Jacksonville. Again, good concept. Executed with the precision of a Robert Aguayo 35-yarder.

The game breaks itself to make games competitive. No, no, it makes too much sense to have Ezekiel Elliott burst through the open whole. Let’s have him run into the back of his linemen for five minutes on 3rd down just to give the other team a chance. Aaron Rodgers has two timeouts and 1:50 left? Let’s have him throw into double coverage for three straight plays until the football gods finally punish him with an interception on the fourth.

Sure, this can happen on any given Sunday, but in Madden, this happens on every Sunday. Players have no personality to their playing style. Antonio Brown’s not gonna make that spectacular catch over a defender. I’ve never seen a game where animations reign supreme over actual ratings. A 69 OVR corner can shut down an 88 OVR WR. I’ve seen it happen.

At this point, Madden isn’t an NFL simulator. It’s not even a football simulation. It’s an insult to those who grew up playing, watching, and loving the game. I can’t stand by this anymore. This franchise was, in it’s heyday, a worthy, immersing, and enjoyable experience. Now? I’m sorry to say it, but I think Madden’s hit the bottom of the tank. It is the Cleveland Browns of the AAA sports game. And just like Cleveland, they’re keeping the same people that have failed the fans over and over again.
The community has spoken (on many platforms)
EA hears the community, and replies “We’ll look into that.”
EA fails to act upon the community requests/ concerns
EA over-glorifies their efforts, and brags about selling X copies of Madden
EA continues to do what they want

The community speaks (on many platforms)
EA hears the community, and replies “We’ll look into that.”
EA fails to act upon the community requests/ concerns
EA over-glorifies their efforts and new features, and brags about selling “X” copies of Madden
EA Continues to do what they want

The cycle completes year after year after year, and that is one of the many reasons EA was voted the 5th worse company in America.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Why I Won’t be Buying Madden 19 (Opinion)

Madden NFL 18 Retail Impressions
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »