Home

Maximizing blocking on kick returns

This is a discussion on Maximizing blocking on kick returns within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Pro

drj32's Arena

OVR: 8
Maximizing blocking on kick returns

I've been experimenting with trying to maximize kick return blocking by making all the blockers 80 awareness, 80 run blocking and 80 impact blocking and making the coverage team below 40 in block shed and below 60 in pursuit but I'm still not seeing enough long kick returns.

I also made the kick returner 99 in everything from speed to awareness to kick return, etc., but I'm still seeing mediocre returning in general.

I've read that there may be some kind of special teams equalization going on by EA. Has anyone found a way to get the blocking to be much better so there are more long kick returns?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Maximizing blocking on kick returns

have you tried making your special teams all 99 and the other all 1? (or zero not sure if it goes that low)
Old 02-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj32
I've been experimenting with trying to maximize kick return blocking by making all the blockers 80 awareness, 80 run blocking and 80 impact blocking and making the coverage team below 40 in block shed and below 60 in pursuit but I'm still not seeing enough long kick returns.

I also made the kick returner 99 in everything from speed to awareness to kick return, etc., but I'm still seeing mediocre returning in general.

I've read that there may be some kind of special teams equalization going on by EA. Has anyone found a way to get the blocking to be much better so there are more long kick returns?
It’s a two part equation.
1) RBK vs Block Shed
- TE/FB RBK’s are much lower than the Block Shed of the Def players on KO Team

2) On runs STR dictates ability to disengage from block when ball carrier is to the side or behind the Def player.
- The bigger the STR difference the blockers have, the longer they prevent the disengage
Old 02-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #4
Pro

drj32's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
It’s a two part equation.
1) RBK vs Block Shed
- TE/FB RBK’s are much lower than the Block Shed of the Def players on KO Team

2) On runs STR dictates ability to disengage from block when ball carrier is to the side or behind the Def player.
- The bigger the STR difference the blockers have, the longer they prevent the disengage
well I've read a lot where people have tested strength and found that it has no effect. Are you seeing differently?
thanks
Old 02-22-2018, 01:51 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drj32
well I've read a lot where people have tested strength and found that it has no effect. Are you seeing differently?
thanks
A lot of those test are based off of what they think a rating should do according to its name, not the actual functionality of how EA uses it in the game. (a lot of hidden agendas for some)

- it’s not used as a Power vs power (ie who’s strongest)
- has multi-functionality (initial get-engage, disengage, formula multiplier, QB Throw Trajectory etc...)

Clint confirmed also.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2018, 02:02 AM   #6
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

I don't want to speculate but........

I've returned about five KOs for TDs and three punts without editing. This is over ten seasons.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
A lot of those test are based off of what they think a rating should do according to its name, not the actual functionality of how EA uses it in the game. (a lot of hidden agendas for some)

- it’s not used as a Power vs power (ie who’s strongest)
- has multi-functionality (initial get-engage, disengage, formula multiplier, QB Throw Trajectory etc...)

Clint confirmed also.

Not strictly on topic so forgive but this is why the community needs that long promised ratings/slider explanation guide ..
I like to think I'm actually reasonably well read on this subject ( though on nowhere near your level) but I'm still sure I have many inaccurate (and long held )misconceptions

Would really help those if us who like to * tinker with* the game to our own ends

Last edited by briz1046; 02-22-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:48 AM   #8
MVP

Rayzaa's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Not strictly on topic so forgive but this is why the community needs that long promised ratings/slider explanation guide ..
I like to think I'm actually reasonably well read on this subject ( though on nowhere near your level) but I'm still sure I have many inaccurate (and long held )misconceptions

Would really help those if us who like to * tinker with* the game to our own ends
That would be nice and really for me mostly on INTs. I try to set those so it isnt so damn easy for the CPU to pick off passes like it does but im not sure if i set the User slider for INTs or the CPU because it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. I get very few INTs and the CPU is a INT machine.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »