Home

Question again, open / closed roof for CFM?

This is a discussion on Question again, open / closed roof for CFM? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #57
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Question again, open / closed roof for CFM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
How soon we forget, The Show didn’t have retractable roofs until ‘16. Yes you’re technically correct that it’s been “years,” but given we were asking for it since like MLB 09, “easy for them” isn’t how I would put it. It took them forever too.
Just sayin’.
Difference is that the open/closed option already exists in Madden, the stadiums are created for both situations. Choose one or the other at the Play Now setup screen. The fact it isn't there in the setup screen for a franchise game is just ridiculous. But for me, my disappointment is surpassed by what is symbolises, a game that could deliver so much more than it actually does.

Last edited by RogerDodger; 07-06-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:21 PM   #58
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDodger
Difference is that the open/closed option already exists in Madden, the stadiums are created for both situations. Choose one or the other at the Play Now setup screen. The fact it isn't there in the setup screen for a franchise game is just ridiculous. But for me, my disappointment is surpassed by what is symbolises, a game that could deliver so much more than it actually does.
I've never concerned myself with the roof. I also don't do play now at all (I dive right into franchise. I adjust quarter times and sliders based on what people post here), so I didn't know that's how it was done (two stadiums: one open one closed).

Perhaps their issue is some codework of assigning two stadiums in franchise mode. I can see that being a pretty deep rooted coding challenge. So if there's one "stadium" for open and one for closed, I can see challenges.

I know it seems as simple as "assign both stadiums to them and the user chooses," but I can see issues deeper. Such as:

-do I have two stadium leases, because there's two stadiums?
-if I upgrade something on the "closed" version, will the same upgrade be applied to "open"
-is attendance based on both stadiums, or one at a time? (meaning for a home game are both stadiums a "sell out" or is one empty?")
-If I move my team, would I have to build "two" stadiums?

Those are just a few challenges I can imagine. I'm sure they could be overcome, I just also could see it being super buggy. I'm not a computer guy though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #59
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

OVR: 4

I know that this thread is all about whether the choice will be in franchise or not (we're expecting not), and trying to get the developers to answer that (we're expecting that they won't).

But have they ever given an answer as to why the choice can be in other modes but not in franchise? There doesn't seem to be any logic there, to me.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #60
Rookie

Most teams with retractable roofs keep them closed on Gamedays. Why? Heat in September/October.......Cold Weather in the Winter. The other reason is crowd noise. Texans almost never open their roof anymore during games because Bill O'Brien was the crowd noise to affect the other teams' offense.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:41 PM   #61
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyc
Most teams with retractable roofs keep them closed on Gamedays. Why? Heat in September/October.......Cold Weather in the Winter. The other reason is crowd noise. Texans almost never open their roof anymore during games because Bill O'Brien was the crowd noise to affect the other teams' offense.
That's a matter of choice though. Realistically, many teams COULD open the roof much of the time and have it not negatively effect the football game. Unless its raining, there's no reason that the roof shouldn't be open most games for Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and at least before December, Indy too. And then L.A. once that one opens. Arizona is the only one where heat is really a huge issue most of the time.

I would very much like sports games to be able to be an idealized reality if possible, rather than a pure reflection of what actually happens due to the choices of this person or that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #62
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
I've never concerned myself with the roof. I also don't do play now at all (I dive right into franchise. I adjust quarter times and sliders based on what people post here), so I didn't know that's how it was done (two stadiums: one open one closed).

Perhaps their issue is some codework of assigning two stadiums in franchise mode. I can see that being a pretty deep rooted coding challenge. So if there's one "stadium" for open and one for closed, I can see challenges.

I know it seems as simple as "assign both stadiums to them and the user chooses," but I can see issues deeper. Such as:

-do I have two stadium leases, because there's two stadiums?
-if I upgrade something on the "closed" version, will the same upgrade be applied to "open"
-is attendance based on both stadiums, or one at a time? (meaning for a home game are both stadiums a "sell out" or is one empty?")
-If I move my team, would I have to build "two" stadiums?

Those are just a few challenges I can imagine. I'm sure they could be overcome, I just also could see it being super buggy. I'm not a computer guy though, so take this with a grain of salt.
You might be right but they didn't build CFM ten years ago. It was created when a stadium having an open/closed option was already in the game. Unfortunately we spend more of our time as a community trying to explain why EA aren't adding perfectly reasonable options/features into the game than almost anything else. While most other games just get on with the job of adding them (if they haven't already).
Old 07-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #63
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
That's a matter of choice though. Realistically, many teams COULD open the roof much of the time and have it not negatively effect the football game. Unless its raining, there's no reason that the roof shouldn't be open most games for Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, and at least before December, Indy too. And then L.A. once that one opens. Arizona is the only one where heat is really a huge issue most of the time.

I would very much like sports games to be able to be an idealized reality if possible, rather than a pure reflection of what actually happens due to the choices of this person or that.
All those teams you mention though have a damn good reason to keep it closed, actually. Cowboys, Texans, Rams? It friggin hot dude. Last September in Los Angeles there were times it was 97 degrees at 11:00 P.M still. Atlanta? Well I've never been but if its anything like North Carolina, it's really humid lol

Sunny isn't necessarily a good thing. I know I know, Texas Stadium had an open top, but now with an option to close it...I'd leave it closed most of the time.

Major Boise State fan
Old 07-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #64
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet19
All those teams you mention though have a damn good reason to keep it closed, actually. Cowboys, Texans, Rams? It friggin hot dude. Last September in Los Angeles there were times it was 97 degrees at 11:00 P.M still. Atlanta? Well I've never been but if its anything like North Carolina, it's really humid lol

Sunny isn't necessarily a good thing. I know I know, Texas Stadium had an open top, but now with an option to close it...I'd leave it closed most of the time.
I guess it all depends on your perspective. As a Dolphins fan, I've always looked at hot and sunny as a big time home field advantage. 1pm September home games have always been a good thing for them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »